PDA

View Full Version : Warmwater Symposium

Byron Begley
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm thinking about putting on a Warmwater Fly Fishing Symposium in early November. Any ideas?

Byron

seagull
07-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Since 90% of my fishing is in warmwater, count me in! I have a presentation on stripers and one on the willowfly hatch.

Byron Begley
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Seagull,

You are the first person I thought of. I also thought of Chris Helm, Gary Troutman, Kent Edmonds, Lynn Hayes, Phil Brandt, Gary McCown and others.

Thanks, Byron

Kent
07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
`Sounds like fun to me.

Byron, note the WNC Fly Fishing Expo is in Asheville Nov 7 & 8.

sam barbee
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
sounds good i will come i dont fish much warmwater only in the summer in my bellyboat.

Tarheelflyfishing
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds good to me Byron, count me in.

yellowsulphur29
07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Sounds good to me. Just got into fishing for bass, bluegill, carp and even gar on the fly. Would like to learn more.

Troutman
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds good, I did a little power point presentation on FF for smallmouth for our local FFF chapter a few months ago. Could do something like again and maybe tie a few flies.

Seagull does a great presentation on Striper fishing well worth seeing!

I would love to see Kent do a presentation on Calloway Gardens and maybe a casting demo!

Maybe you could get Andy from Riversports in Knoxville to bring over some kayaks and canoes.

Another good presenter and ww fisherman is Robert Prytula. He is a professor at Chatt. State and does a great presentation on the sunfishes.

almost forgot... See if Mike Anderson could bring his Supreme over and do a presentation on mid-tn lake striper, and smallmouth trips. He is quite the outdoor photographer as well.

waterwolf
07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I know a thing or two about river smallies, but then again who would wish to sit a listen to be bloviate for any extended period of time. :biggrin:

No Hackle
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Byron if you ever need me for anything, you call me anytime. This sounds like agood time to share and learn @ the same time. It's time warmwater gets it's props. These guys are the ones to do it.
Thanks for thinking of me,Lynn

Byron Begley
07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
This is sounding good. Thanks for the ideas and willingness to help and please keep them coming. Thanks for the heads up Kent. Frank told me about that show but I forgot about it. We'll work around that one. I didn't think about River Sports. Gander Mountain has another good kayak guy. Great Idea. I was thinking about Madisonville Marine and Tri County Marine. I'll talk to Umpqua and Kent you could represent Rainy's Flies and of course TFO. I can market with direct mail, Little River Journal, this board and the website. I will need photos and bios on those who want to contribute. I'll also talk to TWRA. After all, they say we are "THE" Smallmouth Bass State. I bet we can get their warmwater guy or gal here. I know some bass guides.

Kent, I'll help you out with travel costs. Keep them coming guys.

Waterwolf, I'll sit and listen to you and I would enjoy it, as always.

Thanks guys, this will be fun.

Byron

GrouseMan77
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I have only started to dabble with warmwater flyfishing and would be very interested in such an event.

Flat Fly n
07-02-2009, 03:13 PM
If warmwater includes low country then I am in. I think I can hold my own on Redfish and Seatrout.

To be quite honest I am the "back seat b*%#^" in motorcycle lingo, when it comes to stripers, carp, and bass. I like fishing for them alot, and can even hold my own with "the master" sometimes, but I have had an excellent teacher in Dean. I would feel like I would be delivering "the old smoke and mirrors" if you ask me to give something insightful. Seagull or Waterwolf, those boys live for stripers and smallmouth respectively. I can however teach someone how to cast a 9wt backhand (back seat remember) BETTER than they can forehand. It only took me about 15 years to figure this out, which I did last year on a trip to Beaufort in Dean's boat.

I will be happy to be available to tie any warmwater flies if you need an extra.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/IMGP0831.jpg

52 trout
07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Byron....Great Idea! If you need an artist that's been known to create a print or two in the Warm Water category...count me in.

Alan
www.52trout.blogspot.com (http://www.52trout.blogspot.com)
www.clearwatermemories.com (http://www.clearwatermemories.com)

MikeStrength
12-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Did this project move forward and I missed it?

Troutman
12-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Did this project move forward and I missed it?

I think it was pretty much forgotten about. There are very few of us hard core warm water fly fishermen in this area. Maybe next year!

jeffnles1
12-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I think it would be best in Feb / March timing. April starts getting into Troutfest time.

By November, a lot of the warm water fishing is starting to wind down and many warm water fishermen are either getting out for a few last days before the winter closes in, or are thinking about hunting seasons.

Late Jan, Feb, or March would be when the warm water fishermen would start getting their stuff together and thinking about the season to come.

Just a thought.

Carolina Boy
12-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm in! Love it, great idea, especially in nov when the water ain't that warm!

Byron Begley
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry Guys,

I forgot about it. My bad. I don't spend enough time on here. My bad again. It's not that I haven't been working. It's been a strange year. Keep it on my radar please.

Byron

Troutman
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Any thoughts on trying to have a warm water fly fishing symposium this year?

Knothead
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a plan! Me- I plan on fishing warmwater more this year. As if I need an excuse to fish! I have two grandsons who need to fish more (Grandmommie and Pop-pop get to take them). Got them started on a bluegill pond last year.
Byron, let me know how I can help.

No Hackle
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
This wis a great idea. I think it will be a hit. If I can help please call.
Lynn

JoeFred
03-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Any thoughts on trying to have a warm water fly fishing symposium this year?

The last time Byron got to comment on this was in '09 and he has just gottened swamped with many key pressing matters since then. His/our getting something lined out for this year might be a lot to expect, but hopefully it can happen.

With the prospects of trout hatchery closings (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14884), we may be left with mostly warmwater fly fishing in the lowlands of the region. Heck, rethinking the reservoir water release schemes might even have to come into play if the tailwaters could support non-trout reproduction otherwise.

Streamhound
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Sounds god to me. Bluegills make up the bulk of the available fish for me and as JoeFred has said warm-water may become more important to a lot of us.

tntom
03-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Warmwater is my fishing first love. I would love to see something happen and would help anyway I can.