PDA

View Full Version : Upper Clinch fishing?

tnflyguy
07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Just wondering if anyone has fished the upper clinch recently near Rogersville TN. If so could someone give me a report on how the fishing has been. I am leaving today to go up and fish there for the weekend.

Hugh Hartsell
07-10-2009, 10:10 AM
FlyGuy,
Are you sure that you have the right river in mind? The Holston River is near Rogersville and the town of Sneedville or the community of Kyles Ford is near the upper Clinch. Both are fishing pretty good but you may see a little muddy water with some of the rains that we have been having.
Hugh

tnflyguy
07-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Hugh I am sorry for the confusion. Yes I will be fishing the upper clinch and you are right, it is in fact closer to Sneedville near kyles ford. Do you know what has been working lately? Also do you have any suggestions on what to throw in case the water is still a little muddy?

Hugh Hartsell
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
FlyGuy,
I'm going to generalize here but, some type of Clouser with a white underbelly and Red Gills and a darker upper body should work in clearer water. If the water is stained or you are fishing riffles, go to a dark colored bugger or Hellgramite pattern and let it dfrift down thru the riffles and occasionally strip lightly. Put some serious movement to the Clouser.
Hugh

tnflyguy
07-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your help Hugh I really appreciate it.

stuart
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
You got my attention when you said "upper" clinch. I live within 30 or so miles of the head of the CLinch. Don't get much more upper than that! I would like to come down that way sometime. Up here it is just a warmwater fishery. But I would love to head to Tenn. for some trout action. I hear it is a good river. Just hard to drive by the SoHo for about another 3hrs to fish it I guess.

STU

waterwolf
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
FlyGuy,
Are you sure that you have the right river in mind? The Holston River is near Rogersville and the town of Sneedville or the community of Kyles Ford is near the upper Clinch. Both are fishing pretty good but you may see a little muddy water with some of the rains that we have been having.
Hugh

Hugh you are incorrect in part, the Clinch is only 14 miles from Rogersville. The Holston is right there like you said however. They are both close.

Flies for the upper Clinch, any streamers with rabbit strips (zonkers, zuddlers, etc) stay away from anything that is tied with none moving materials (clousers, decievers, etc etc). The fish in that river feed primarily on crayfish from my experiences and the water always carries a little color due to algae blooms in the late summer.

If you are going to float it, make sure whatever you float in is dang tough as it is unforgiving and rather mean.

I have fished it a lot and all over its reaches, so if you need any more information let me know.

monktrout
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
tnflyguy, I used to fish the upper Clinch many years ago. I fished just south of the Virginia line. Caught lots of redeyes.