PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Bomber

silvercreek
07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm getting ready to tie some stealth bombers, but I have a question. I have the template from Kent Edmond's site, but I am not sure the template I printed out is accurate for scale. For a #6 hook of the type Byron referenced in the Journal, how wide should the widest part of the funnel shape be? Thanks for the help.

flyman
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I tied some up about a month ago, and boy do they work! Mine are about 2 cm or 3/4 or an inch at the widest point of the funnel. Make sure the PDF file is 100% and your printer is set correctly. I don't think it needs to be exact. I am interested to see what Kent and Byron have to say.

silvercreek
07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I cut out the smallest one on the template as the one marked #6 just looked a little big. The small one I cut out measures just short of the 3/4 inch. we'll see if there any other opinions.

Kent
07-10-2009, 04:40 PM
SC, Flyman has it just about on the nose. My cut for the #6 is just a hair over 3/4".

Remember, that's for the Gama B-10S, which is sized a little different from most.

As Flyman says, exact is probably not needed. If it floats too low, the foam's to small (or the dub too heavy).

silvercreek
07-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks. I think I am in the game now. I first tried it on a Tiemco 8089 bass bug hook since that is what I had, but the shank was too long and the fly came out just too weird looking. I just got my #6 B10s from LRO, so I'll give it a try. I'll probably tie it with a mono weed guard since I bank fish and have to drag it through the weeds where the bass hang out. Thanks again guys.

Stonefly
07-11-2009, 01:24 PM
8089's are sized unlike any other fly hooks I know of. A #6 in 8089 would be much larger than a #6 in a B10S.

sb

silvercreek
07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
My favorite bass fly is the Dalhberg Diver which I tie on the Tiemco, but the deer hair get soggy and the fly loses its action. I'm hoping the stealth will solve that problem. I've got a couple tied, and I'm going to give them a try to see if I've got the proportions on the B10s right. Thanks for the help guys.

BuckeyeRick
07-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Stinger hooks are sized differently than fly hooks, the B10S will work very well. I tied some last night on that very hook. Be sure to start tying on materials right at, or just past the bend. If not, the fly "sits up" in a weird sort of way. I've had very good success with this fly. One great thing about the Stealth is that you can dress it to suit your rod weight. I use a 6 wt, so I dress them fairly narrow, but if I was using an 8 wt, or one of the new Bass rods, I could turn them into giant mop handle flies.

Troutman
07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
If you want to tie some mini stealth bombers for bluegill, this is a great hook. Lots of clearance in the hook gape. Both are great hooks and super penetration. I buy the size #8
TMC104SP is a light wire but has good strength.

I also use the TMC107SP. It is a heavier wire. You never know when a big bass will hit and you don't have to worry about the hook bending out.

sample mini firetiger stealth bomber....
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/SD531378.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/SD531362.jpg

ttas67
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
gary, what kind of flash you got going on in that tail?