PDA

View Full Version : Litter

rivergal
07-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Today while fishing GSMNP I found disposable diapers in 2 different locations near the water's edge. Last week I found abandoned watermelon rinds, a head of lettuce, and beverage cans on a trail. Seems like litter is getting worse.

jeffnles1
07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving trash strewn about. Makes me angry.

Ever notice, it's almost always Budweiser cans too?

Jeff

sammcdonald
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM
the soda cans are mtn dew....picked up trash and counted last year....mtn dew 78% of litter cans

ChemEAngler
07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
The worst months always seem to be June, July, and August. Wonder what that coincides with....

The people who visit in October tend to be here to enjoy the beauty of the park and therefore are more respectful.

flyman
07-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I always carry some type of bag with me. I just don't understand who they think is going to pick it up :confused:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/nepal_flyfishing_guru/GraphicDesign350.jpg

rivergal
07-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Excellent example Flyman ! I save newspaper sleeves for impromptu litter bags.

Stonefly
07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
the soda cans are mtn dew....picked up trash and counted last year....mtn dew 78% of litter cans

Sam, you should send your stats to the maker of Mtn Dew, might help 'em to know who their target market is, so they can better focus their advertising... I think Budweiser already knows.

sb

flyman
07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
In all but the coldest months I will have a cooler full of iced down water and nutrition drinks in the vehicle ;) I just recycle the ice bag. We can all make a difference by taking a small bag and picking up a few things we see during the day. I also carry a couple of large trash bags for comfort and survival type things that I will use for larger items and the diapers. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have found :eek:

Redfish62
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
When in the park I make a point of picking some trash. It requires so little effort. Fathers day I took my 11 year old daughter fly fishing. She did great caught her first brook and bow. But back to the litter we were hiking up a trail from the West Prong of the little river and came across the remains of a plastic container that had the obvious marks of being chewed on by a bear. We picted it up. I am sure it had been left on top of a car or in the back of a truck. be aware of the unitintional littler that accures.

nvr2L8
07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Sam, you should send your stats to the maker of Mtn Dew, might help 'em to know who their target market is, so they can better focus their advertising... I think Budweiser already knows.

sb

One of the biggest markets for Mountain Dew (other than myself) is young people (20 somethings) and computer programmers who learned in school that, with its high caffiene content, it's one of the best things for keeping you awake for those late night programming homework tasks. So, the park is obviously being ravaged by young people and geeks. :eek:

Speckleman5
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
1, the "geeks" probably aren't going to quit playing world of warcraft long enough to go outside much less into the park. Secondly, you see a heck of a lot more older people than younger ones using the park. I don't think one demographic is any more prone to litter than the other. Most of the trash I pick up is water bottles, granola or cracker wrappers, or leader packs. Most of it is within a mile of the trail heads. If a **** of a fine was written to anyone who leaves trash or violates in anyway,maybe we could afford a few more rangers and the park could afford to have everywhere patrolled a little more frequently.

MadisonBoats
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I think having a monthly contest for awarding the fisherman the carries the most trash out of the river or something like that...?

Maybe mail them some of our favorite flies...?