PDA

View Full Version : Trammel Fork help

Ky Tim
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Will be camping for a few days at Mammoth Cave and thought about taking a morning and heading over to Trammel Fork. I have never fished it and know almost nothing about it. Can someone give me some info on the best access points?

Dukee
07-18-2009, 01:00 AM
The stream was stocked on 7/13, the two most popular access points are off of Concorde Church Rd at the bridge and a little farther south on Blankenship Rd, also at the bridge.I would recommend the Concorde Chursh access and fish just below the bridge. Yesterday the fishing was still pretty good, lots of 8 - 12 bows and I had the best luck on a small yellow wet fly.

bones
07-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I like the higher access point as well; the best shot at a brown. Saw one in the pool just below the parking area last year that was every bit of 6 lbs. I saw him he saw me and wanted nothing to do with my offerings.

Dukee
07-18-2009, 10:32 AM
they are doing a lot of work on the stream and banks at the upper access, adding rock and dredging the stream out deeper. Hopefully the trout section will get some kind of DH status so the streams hold fish longer throughout the year.

Ky Tim
07-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys, any suggestions about flies? I was thinking of just throwing an attractor pattern like a Royal Wulff or something. Any ideas? Are there any regular hatches or is it similar to a lot of our other stocked streams?

bones
07-19-2009, 07:21 AM
This time of year, I'd go subsurface with a prince, lebug, or smallish PT. There were some light cahills coming off in the evening last summer and since it is a little like Otter (half freestone/ half spring creek) there maybe some isonychias.

The cooler weather and better flows may have the fish more active and possibly looking up. It's just been my experience in the marginal trout waters we have here in Ky that the fish seem to feed subsurface.

bredmon930
07-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I caught that 6 lb brown back in mid may, he was actually 3 1/2 lbs. I saw him several times last summer. he moved about half way between the two stocking points, i thought i was hung on a log. Ill be down at trammel on monday. A size 12 bead head bugger in olive or brown does pretty good. fishing there is a gamble right now. I was down there a few weeks ago and fished for about 45 min. just upstream from the church and i actually watched what looked like a wall of muddy water move down the stream, they had started digging. If you email me i can give some other info, i fish down there atleast twice a month, and been going down there since i was 12. bredmon930@yahoo.com

Dukee
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
My brother-in-law had real good luck last week on a 18 PMD, the fish would hit it just as it got below the surface. He caught ( and returned ) over 30 fish on that fly in 4 hours. Let us know how you do.

bredmon930
07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Fished trammel today, the first half of the stream restoration is done, well half the digging part anyway. Its looking great. I talked with one of the engineers today, he was laying out a grid for monitoring on the part that they had done. he said that this fall they are going to come back in and plant something like 12 different species of trees along the banks that they cleared. He told me that it would be about 5 years before we would really see what the finished product would come out to be, but im excited. He also said that they would like to one day get it to be a self sustaining trout stream and eliminate the stockings. But i don't see that happening.

As far as the fishing goes, it was awesome. I fished from about 8 till 3:30 and probably caught/released around 50-60. About half were fresh stockers the others were carry over. if you fish down there dont be afraid to walk, there are lots of carry overs if you can find them. they were hitting on top, stimis, cripple light cahills, light cahills and beetles. thats what i tried with success anyway. nymphs were light cahill, prince, bh greenie weenie, and the stockers liked a yellar hammer. All in all, great day of fishing. Plan to go back next week if anyone close to Bowling green wants to go email me bredmon930@yahoo.com.

Ky Tim
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Man you guys have me excited. I will be there early Friday morning and stay until about noon. After all it is a family camping trip so I do need to spend time with the family lol. How long do you think it will take me to get there from Cave City? I am guessing and 30-45 minutes. Does this sound about right?

Treecatcher2
07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I guess it depends on fast you drive. I'd think it would be closer to an hour.

Dukee
07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
A little farther probably, maybe 60 minutes. About 25 minutes from the Bowling Green I-65 exit on Scottsville Rd. Good luck and let us know how you do

Ky Tim
07-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Well guys the trip was a complete bust. Wife and I got to our camp site in Horse Cave after two hour drive due to road construcion on 1-65. It took 45 minutes to go about 8 miles. We get our spot and set up camp, kick back and relax for a little bit. The plan was on Thursday night to drive the 2 1/2 miles to the Horse Cave Theater and see "Red, White and Tuna." Well, that didn't pan out. Jeep starts overheating and I barely nursed it back to camp. Found out my water pump went out and since I didn't bring any tools with me, Friday consisted of not fishing, but sitting at a mechanic shop for nearly four hours and having the water pump replaced. We gave up and came on home $300 poorer, with out seeing the play and with no fishing. Good times I can assure you. I guess I will have to try it again, maybe in a couple of weeks.

Treecatcher2
07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Man sorry to hear that. The weather is heating up around here and I've switched over to pond fishing for panfish with poppers. Don't know what the rest of the trammel creek folks are doing...

As for I-65 there is always construction or road closing wrecks. US-31 is a good alternative sometimes. You might want to check this site for traffic info next time http://511.ky.gov/