PDA

View Full Version : CDC Para Post ?

bones
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
I had some #24 straight hooks donated to me. I wasn't sure of what to use for a post; figured CDC would not add a lot of bulk to the shank and would flair at the top of the post, thus holding the hackle in place. The flies I have tied have come out ok.

Has anyone else used cdc as a post material and what ahve been your experience if so? Does it get so slimed after a fish that Frogs Fanny won't work it out? Would anyone like to test drive some on stubborn SoHo fish?

Thanks,
bones

Kytroutbum
07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't fish midges much but would like to ask why hackle a fly and use CDC for a post?
Why not just use the cdc for wing/ legs(hackle)? Is there a reason you want to hackle a #24 fly? A Number 24 hooks doesn't have a lot of space and would hold in the film by itself.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

bones
07-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Just trying to add a little extra floatation in case I put a #28 or #30 pupae or larva behind it.

silvercreek
07-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I may be totally wrong, but my theory about midges is that it is best not to use hackle. My belief is that once the midge gets its legs on the water it is about to fly and thus is less attractive to the trout which seem to prefer the midges while they are in the film rather than on it. That's why I tie my McGnat (posted here earlier) without any hackle. As far a CDC goes it is great stuff, but does tend to get slimed. Amadou (I think that's how it is spelled) does a good job of drying CDC.

silvercreek
07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Bones, here is what I'm talking about. While this is not a midge it is a mosquito whidch is in the same order and hatches the same way. Hopefully this pic will post. I'm not very good at this.http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/silvercreek_01/emergingmosquito.jpg

bones
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Good photo silvercreek. I believe all aquatic diptera hatch in the same manner, so you are point on.

I witnessed the fish last weekend taking clusters of spent adults. Where there were eddies against grass or logs along the bank the fish were feeding on these ples of insects. A midge cluster would probably be best or a griffiths gnat. Just trying to increase the arsenal on some extrmely picky fish.