PDA

View Full Version : The Big "D"

Carolina Boy
07-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Fished the Davidson this afternoon. I must admit that even though i live about 45 min from the, questionably in my opinion, famous river I have only fished it once before. For those who know the river the section near the hatchery gets hammered and you stand in one place as monster fish swim around your feet and reject your every offering, if you do hook up it is difficut to land a fish of this size on such tiny tippet. The one day i fished it was not good and for those who think you stand close to other anglers on the clinch should see this local? Not my kinda fishing, however I felt that I hadn't given the river a chance and so i fished a lower section where i made amends with the stream sticking several large, not huge, browns with beautiful colors seeing no other anglers. Just for fun I drove back to the hatchery section just to look and see not fish. I walked to the banks and saw a angler every 15 feet, no bent rods and i heard one guy whisper to his friend "dude there are like 20 25 inch fish right in front of me!" I chuckled to myself as i muttered under my breath they'll be there all day. If you havn't seen it I guess it is worth it but i wouldn't drive from further than I have to, unless you are marking off the TU top 100 streams....but it is more like an aquarium? ;)

MadisonBoats
07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a fly guy with the right fly will have a field day there...

I would seine the stream and try and mimic the larger aquatic invertebrate and fish it at the right time...

Carolina Boy
07-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Yea that how you gotta go in my opinion, fishing size 28's, and 30's on 9 or 10 X or something is not me? Plus standing in one place is OK on tailwaters not so much on tight streams, Muddlers are supposed to work? I was chucking beetles and they worked

Tarheelflyfishing
07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Yea that how you gotta go in my opinion, fishing size 28's, and 30's on 9 or 10 X or something is not me? Plus standing in one place is OK on tailwaters not so much on tight streams, Muddlers are supposed to work? I was chucking beetles and they worked

#28-30 midges on 8x+ isn't me either. It seems like that's the only thing these fish will take...TINY midges. I've caught several on a Para BWO #22, but anything larger didn't even turn heads. I've seen midges tied on #32 hooks. They're basically a few wraps of thread and a wrap of peacock herl. I know the fish are able to see them, due to their incredible eyesight, but when you get one of those 10 pound, 29+ inch fish on the end of your line, a tiny little #32 hook isn't enough to hold a Davidson River monster. That hook's going to bend. I love the "D"...It's just about the toughest river in the south to fish. Dare I say toughest in the east??

I guess the best time to fish the "D" is in the dead of Winter. The pressure isn't too bad for the fish, so they are more open to sip a #18 BWO instead of the usual #22-24.

mstone
07-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Those fish will eat something larger than 24's. I fished it back in May and I never used anything larger than a #20 and did catch e few on a #18. Think red thread midge pupa. Also, watched a guide have a big day with black.

Tarheelflyfishing
07-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I've seen a few people catch them on #16 inchworms fished under the rhododendron. Those midges are still the ticket. They can consistently haul in more fish than a big #12 dry.

Green Weenie
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
i heard one guy whisper to his friend "dude there are like 20 25 inch fish right in front of me!"

I'm pretty sure that was me and ttas67, but thanks for leaving out the string of expletives. :biggrin:

Carolina Boy
07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Not to worry the expletives probably came after about the 100'th drift! Other streches of that river are more my liking, I may go fish that strech this winter on a nasty day just to see.

Jim Casada
07-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Carolina Boy--My reaction to the Davidson situation, not to mention many others of a similar nature, echoes yours (but in stornger fashion). You have gone to the heart of why old timers I grew up fishing with invariably described hatchery fish as "soap heads" or "dough bellies." For my part, I'll take wild fish a third the length of those bruisers and be perfeclty happy. Perhaps more to the point, I'll offer what a venerable fly fisherman from my youth said: "I like company when fishing, but in small doses. Preferably about one fisherman seen every third day."

If you are that close to the Davidson, there are lots of places nearby where you can get away from the maddening hordes and know the joys of solitude, specks, and scenic splendor. Drop me an e-mail (jimcasada@comporium.net) and I'll share one or two special places, but only if you agree to abide by my Grandpa Joe's dictum: "A man's got to have some secrets." Jim Casada