PDA

View Full Version : New Kayak

ajh10567
07-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I am looking at buying a new kayak to fish the tailwaters around tennessee. I have looked at the native kayaks and I really like some of them. I am looking at one that I can stand up in, and would like to spend less than $1000 dollars. Does anyone have any recomendations on a type and brand of kayak that would work for this? Also does anyone know where I can go and purchase one?

MadisonBoats
07-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Skip the kayak and buy an old $600 aluminum boat with trailer. Add a trolling motor and you are set...

Also, you will be able to sell the boat to upgrade or change easier than the kayak...

ajh10567
07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah I have thought about that also, but I have little boat experience and I just thought a kayak would be easier. I do already have a trolling motor so it would end up being less expensive Do you know where I could get a boat like that?

Carolina Boy
07-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Heck get both! I don't know about small john boats but i can tell you this having a kayak rigged up for fishing is awesome, you can go where no one else can, you can rigit by yourself very easily with anything from rod holders to cup holders. So many ways to tweak it to suit your fishing, Plus putting into lakes and rivers requires little more than a small break in the tree line, they are light and easily dragged to you secret access spots. Well worth it, plus you can score a sit-in, which i have, for 3-4 hundred dollars check Gander Mt, nice dude works there and will help you see how to rigg it, also check Dicks sports, i have a basic pelican sit-in and I love it, no trailer no moving parts, no worries just throw it in the truck bed or on the roof racks. Fish'll never see ya coming!

MadisonBoats
07-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah I have thought about that also, but I have little boat experience and I just thought a kayak would be easier. I do already have a trolling motor so it would end up being less expensive Do you know where I could get a boat like that?

Check your area on the Craigslist site. Here is a link to the Knoxville area boats: http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/

You just need to add a deep cycle battery and get a good battery charger.
*Things you can add:
-Cooler
-Seats
-Umbrellas
-Etc...
**Plus, a fishing partner can go too... Just alternate directions or anchor and wade...

Most boats are pretty light without a motor (x<200#) and they are easy to move around with a decent trailer.

Troutman
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I've fly fished out of a kayak for several years. I would not stand up in one though. Too dangerous. I know several people with natives and they only stand in flat water. Too many fishermen drown each year to be careless on the river.
kayaks are great for getting to wadable areas. They are also fantastic for fishing lakes.
I also use a canoe and I do stand and cast from it but only on the slow moving sections. I am installing outrigger sponsons soon to add to the stability.

wilderness systems makes 2 great fishing kayaks. The tarpon 120 SOT and the ride 135. Riversports in Knoxville carries them.
If you go with a canoe, you can add a trolling motor (don't forget to register the boat with twra), anchor systems, removable outriggers, and comfy seats.
I like my used Mohawk Nova 16. very stable platform for casting and I don't need to pull a trailer or need a boat ramp to launch.
boats are great but always respect the river.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/SD531333.jpg

buddy Tom in his Tarpon 120

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/SD531334.jpg

silvercreek
07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
You've got to register a canoe if you add a trolling motor?

Troutman
07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/boatregistrations.html

I read it that if you put a trolling motor on any boat it must be registered. I know guys that have had to register their pontoons if they put a trolling motor on it.
If you only use paddles or oars (no gas or electric motor) then you do not have to register it.

I just called TWRA at region 4 office and they said you do have to register any boat if you put a trolling motor or gas on it.

silvercreek
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks. I learn someting here ever day.

ajh10567
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah I really like both of the ideas. The thing is I just feel like a kayak would be a lot easier to maintain and get around in, but the jon boat would be less tiresome to get around the river or lake in but I guess I could use some exercise. I really like the idea of outfitting a kayak with some cool fishing gagets. I guess I will just have to get out and look at the pros and cons of each. Thanks for all the help everybody.

ajh10567
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
hey sorry, one more question. If I do go with the kayak should I go with the sit inside or sit on top models?

Troutman
07-21-2009, 07:44 PM
For fishing, I think a SOT is best. Easier entry and exits from the boat. Much cooler during the summer and your legs don't get that crammed into a narrow tube feeling! If your worried about getting wet during colder weather, wear your goretex waders and a rain jacket.
Some dealers have demo days where you can try out different kayaks and canoes. You could also find a few places that rent them.

A couple of tips to remember when canoe/ kayak fishing...

The fish don't care what color the boat is. Get something visible to other boaters. bright colors are best. stay away from dark colors, they are hard to see in the water and can get hot to the touch in the bright sunlight.

Buy a basic boat and fish it a couple of times before adding accessories like rod holders and such. some come equipped as "angler" models. They are designed for spin and baitcast fishermen in mind. Those front mounted rod holders and GPS systems are magnets for catching flylines.

Get a comfortable PFD.

MadisonBoats
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I will have another alum. river boat coming available soon. I have rehabbed it, added more flotation foam, new transom, etc.

I have a few people interested already before I even started. I can have it completely wired and ready for the river soon...

My current boat runs in about 6"-foot of water and is prefect for fly fishing.

david54
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Check out this web site. www.nativewatercraft.com (http://www.nativewatercraft.com) they sell them at ovis shop in pigeon forge,tn.

ajh10567
08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
hey everyone thanks for all the help, I ended up going with a 12.5 ft sit on top fishing kayak. Here is the pic of it.http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/ahosenfe/IMG_0446.jpg
I have used it a lot of the past few weeks up on the clinch, and it is pretty awesome. I love being able to fish places that I was not able to get to on foot. It rides really high up in the water so I am able to get over shallow areas with ease. It has great stability also. My only problem with it is the fact that I have to put in and paddle a couple miles up steam which has become a huge pain. It wastes fishing time because of all the paddling I have to do. But I can not find a good alternative to paddling up river. If anyone ever wants to do a float shoot me an email ahosenfe@utk.edu.
Thanks again for the help,
AJ Hosenfeld

flynut
08-09-2009, 01:35 PM
You could probably check with a canoe/kayak rental place and negotiate with them to pick you up as if you had rented from them. I bet they'd do it for next to nothing.

ajh10567
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah I have actually checked into that, and I can not find one that services the clinch river. There are a ton for the caney but not any for the clinch but oh well. The fly shop up there does a shuttle for 25 bucks but I do not want to have to pay that every time I do a float.

Troutman
08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
you'll get used to it. its kind of nice getting on the river early, paddling upstream to a shoal. You get tired of course but then you do get to see whats hatching and sometimes spot big fish as you come up behind them. Just remember that for the trip back downstream later in the day.
Now that you have the kayak, so many new places have opened up as fishing destinations. The clinch is but one of many great waters to cast a fly in east TN.

ajh10567
08-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah I have to agree with getting on the shoals first in the morning before anyone else floats through. I really enjoy flushing out not only the trout but also those all those pods of carp.

Bran
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
That's nice, I know you'll enjoy it. I went to Appomatox River Company Friday and traded my Olde Towne camper 15 for a Native Ultimate 12. I took it out a little Saturday on the lake just to play and get the feel. I like it! First Yak I've ever had but it's nice. I put a Scotty behind me with the flyrod holder and so far that's my only accesory I've decided on. I'm gonna rubber coat an old window weight for an anchor and rig a small piece of chain behind it to make it track straight downriver.
I'll say this so far, the Native is a lot easier to tote around and load on top than the olde towne was. One arm carry right down to the water and sling it in. Very stable and I stood up in it on the lake but I'll say it's not something I would make a common practice of in any canoe or kayak. I've got a Carolina Skiff for my standup fishing.

BuckeyeRick
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Check out the Malibu Mini-X, around $600. I wouldn't stand in any kayak except the Freedom Hawk, but it's aroung $1800. Any other canoe or kayak and I want outriggers before I stand.

MarkHansen
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
A suggestion on kayaks, try one before you spend the money. They rent boats for around $30.00 per day @ a downtown Knoxville shop. Trips are best if you have 2 people to eliminate the ‘shuttle issue'. Plus, it safer if something happens.

Standing in a kayak? You're asking for trouble.

To ajh10567: nice boat.

River Sports Outfitters Inc
2918 Sutherland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37919
(865) 523-0066
http://www.riversportsoutfitters.com/ (http://www.riversportsoutfitters.com/)

Mark
<;)((((((><

mcfly
09-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Try a NuCanoe. A canoe you can stand in. Another plus is if you duck hunt, it is stable enough for a retreiver to climb in without tipping.

Brook Fan
01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I have read most the threads and I'm glad I did, because I never thought about a sit on top version for a fishing kayak.
I do have one question though for a novice. I plan to fish a small river (Red River in Clarksville, TN and a large creek Sulfur Fork. Port Royal State Park if you know the area). Is the fishing kayak a safe choice?
The currents are natrual and at some points the water may by 10' deep. The current is wadable at least until its too deep for me to stand in to find out. I want to get away and fish, but I also want to return home.
Additional information is this area is very popular for site seeing canoe trips, which made me think of the fishing kayak.

Bfish
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
For those that want to stand and fish, you really should check out the Jackson Coosa. It is the first kayak designed specifically for fishing rivers. I can stand and fish in moving water (230 lb) with ease. When the water gets bumping, I do sit down however the elevated seat makes it easy. Some may find the elevated seat to be in a good enough position to flycast while still sitting. The standing area is flat for comfort, and is both longer and wider than other standable kayaks. Also the Jackson Coosa is made here in TN.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5635/dsc03287g.jpg
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8894/dsc03274x.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4024/dsc03273qb.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8853/dsc03269kk.jpg

Bfish
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
....I plan to fish a small river ....
You should have no problem. Just be mindful of the waterlevel (small streams can flash flood quickly) and avoid strainers (ie tree in current that acts like a sieve). I suggest you play around on a lake some too, as some streams require quick turns. Right now is not the time of year to take an acidential swim, you may want to wait till warmer weather. Have fun and enjoy.

Brook Fan
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback Bfish. I'm still putting money away in my metal can for now, but I'm reading up on the reviews that I can. Hopefully by the the time I have the cash saved I will also know exactly what to buy.