PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Trout week of 27 JUL 09

hw3
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Heading to Clarksburg early next week for a few days so my wife can visit family, and I am wondering if there is any better place to wet a fly line than the other. Have fished Seneca, headwaters of Elk, and a few other places. Any suggestions? Skip Watson

buckeyetrouter
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
check out this site and go onto the message board to find all the info you want on WV streams......

http://www.wvangler.com/

WVBrookie
07-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I was on the headwaters of Seneca Sunday, water is getting very low and fish are VERY spooky.

If you are willing to put in a few miles on the hoof, the canyon section of Seneca has some very large plunge pools and fishes well when the water is low in other areas.

How far are you willing to drive? Over the last three years I have done practically nothing but explore WV blue lines. Give me an idea on how far you are willing to drive and how far you are willing to hike and I'll drop you a PM with some good streams.

BTW, ditto on the WVAngler recommendation (I'm a moderator)!

Chris

hw3
07-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Driving not a problem; might have to stay over a nite if necessary. Just have little knowledge of WV streams, used to talk to Doc Oliverio in C/B before he passed, and looked for Larry Woofter but his flyshop in C/B appears closed. My father in law said things were better this summer than usual, maybe due to a lot of rain and streams being higher, as when I have fished there before in the summer has been down. He said best in MAY/JUN, but have never made it then. Have fished Seneca in fall, did OK. Try me @ hwatson3@earthlink.net. Thanks for your time and effort. Skip Watson

out4trout
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I was on the Holly River last week up near the state park. The water was so low it was all but unfishable. There were a few spots you could wet the line but the fish were so spooky it made it impossible to catch.
out4trout

ziggy
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
might b a bit to drive. I just returned from three forks area of williams. Plenty of trout to take a dry right now in that area of williams.

hw3
08-05-2009, 01:18 AM
...To all who responded. I got one day on Mill Creek and caught native brookies on dry flies. Will tryto get back there when water bigger, but had a good day of a dozen before and after lunch. Cabins @ Kumbrabow S/F looked nice; will try to book one next year. Williams was also mentioned, and that looks as close to LEX as C/B WV, and will probably have water thru the summer and into fall. As I got an annual non-res license, will try that area next trip, probably in early fall. Again, thanks gentlemen. Skip Watson