PDA

View Full Version : October Fly Fishing

jimw
07-25-2009, 06:43 PM
My wife and I spent a few days in Townsend the first part of April. The plan was to go fly fishing and sight see. Unfortunately, we were there when the snow fell and it got pretty cold (we are from Florida). Of course the weather pretty much shut down the fly fishing but the sight seeing with the snow around was great.
How about October? I could guess there is a risk of snow then but how about the fly fishing. Is it worth the time/money to try to fish that time of year?

nvr2L8
07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Jim,

Absolutely! I love fly fishing in October in the Smokies. By all means plan on it. Except for the highest elevations, snow in October should not be a problem (famous last words). With the leaves turning colors, it's a beautiful time to be on the stream. Sometimes you catch more leaves than you do fish but the fish are still active that time of year. Pull out your orange patterns and go!

Tarheelflyfishing
07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Fly fishing in October is excellent. The trees are orange and red by October in the park. The cooler weather makes it once again possible to fish in the lower elevations for trout. Unless there's a huge cold snap here in the south in October, there most likely won't be any snow. (October can still turn chilly in the park though). The highest of elevations see some snow as early as October (more flurries than anything). According to the NWS Mount Leconte got down to 33 degrees Wed. night with a high of 51 the next day...It can be unpredictable in October so be prepared. Cool temps, fall colors, and happy trout make October a great time to fish the park's waters.

Jim Casada
07-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Jim W--In my opinion October, especially the first half of the month, is the second best month of the year for fishing in the Smokies (May ranks first). Tubers are gone, as are most "willies off the pickle boat," and leaf peepers don't affect the fishing at all. Big browns are beginning to respond to the ageless urge to spawn, and the weather is usually quite stable (Indian Summer). Cool nights and comfortable days are the rule.
Think long leaders, fine tippets, and long casts. There's little stream pressure, especially during the week, and fish feed much more actively in the middle of the day than is the case during the summer.
I love the bittersweetness of this season, with another year dying but doing so in a blaze of multi-colored glory. Jim Casada

Kytroutbum
07-26-2009, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE Think long leaders, fine tippets, and long casts. There's little stream pressure, especially during the week, and fish feed much more actively in the middle of the day than is the case during the summer. Jim Casada[/QUOTE] AMEN to that!!

An increasing problem is tourists in October (3rd busiest month). They will slow you down moving from one stream to another. I prefer late September also. In Late October you're fooling around with leaves alot. I find that Browns start becoming more active. I Throw an elk hair caddis, beetles or ants. As Crazy as it seems a #16 Renegade with plump body seems to work well. Carry a #10-#8 Elk hair caddis with orangish body with you if you fish Mid to late October. We have an October caddis that comes off on certain streams at certain times. Looks like a big moth, when they are on the water (I haven't seen them often)they get the fishes attention. I fish streams in early fall similar to summer due to usually low water levels, but it is cooler.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Rog 1
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Ditto on all of the above....I have fished the end of Sept and first of October for the last 35 years and wouldn't miss it for the world....kids are in school during the week and the campgrounds are pretty empty....during the week the fishing pressure is low and you can fish almost anywhere.....I too am from Florida and the break in the heat this time of year is welcomed....it is still warm enough during the day to wet wade which makes hiking into some of the back areas all the more easier....fishing is a lot easier before the leaves start to fall......a great time overall to be in the Park and in the water...I camp and fish with a college friend every year at this time and have bumped into the Kytroutbum on many occasions....you will know him by the bear spray he wears...

buckeyetrouter
07-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Dont know 'bout October, you would have to put up with sites like this

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSC_0273-2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSC_0163-2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSCF0136-2.jpg

We love Oct. in the Smokies, it is good for fishing and photography and just a relaxing time....just my 2 cents worth...

bob

Kytroutbum
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Rog1- After all the determining whether Bear Spray is (Legal or Permissible or Not Legal)
(:>)I am still carrying it! Walked up on a sow and cub up Cucumber just up the hill from Little River last summer. They were probably the ones you guys camping upstream feed. Didn't see the cub or sow untilthe branches started coming down along with her. I managed to "retire the field" quickly. Thought I was going to have to use it on her. Closest I've ever been to using it. I've seen more "approachings" by bears than ever before. I really wish someone would enforce bear rules like they do in Glacier and Yellowstone. Just leave a water bottle out at a campground and see what happens! I'm heading to the Shoshone NF between Cody and Cooke city this weekend. They have heavy metal bear boxes on each site and also some extras around. A minor infraction- water bottle- 1st and last warning!

I've been following (Beartooth91) Mark Barret's trip reports. He fishes the Beartooth Mountains NE of Yellowstone. A couple weeks ago, he was using the same trailhead my wife and I use to reach some lakes with Brookies and Goldens. Gearing up and just as he was
leaving the car, a Sow Griz and two cubs came into view about 100 yards away. You can bet I'll be carrying TWO CANSISTERS OF BEAR SPRAY along with the one in my pack(:>)!
My non-yellowstone experiences out there have been seeing the rear ends of a couple Griz and Black bears.

I'm coming back right after labor Day, so I hope to save enough cash to afford a couple days in the park in October. It's my favorite time fishing there.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

6 days and counting!!

Rog 1
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Randall, My friend and I will be on our annual trip to Elkmont September 27 thru Oct. 2...will be in site D-3...a white Suburban with Fla. tags....if you are there stop in and say hi....the last couple of years in Elkmont the rangers have gotten a little tougher on the food regulations....they have been issuing citations for leaving campstoves out at night...have heard of them taking the stoves to be returned when the citations are presented.....this increase also seems to have come about with the presence of the coyotes in the campground.....with the coyotes we have also noticed fewer turkeys and deer in the area....

rivergal
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I vote we skip August and go right into September/October. I have been bluff
charged one time by a bear, and once is enough. Bears have the right away,
and only the bears know if they are bluffing or not!

Kytroutbum
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Rivergal- WWW.counterassault.com for peace of mind! You'll probably never need it BUT ....! It works on dogs, trolls and baitfishers also. If Smokies bears were truly wild you wouldn't need it. They have been conditioned to seeing us a food providers. I can't get use to bears beelining toward a spot across the river from me. I've Had it happen twice.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Kytroutbum
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Rivergal- WWW.counterassault.com for peace of mind! You'll probably never need it BUT ....! It works on dogs, trolls and baitfishers also. If Smokies bears were truly wild you wouldn't need it. They have been conditioned to seeing us a food providers. I can't get use to bears beelining toward a spot across the river from me. I've Had it happen twice.

Rog1- I've heard Coyote packs the last couple springs at Elkmont, Hear and see more of them in Ky and Tenn than I do in WYO?

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

rivergal
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the bear spray tip- that video is a good sales pitch.
I'm not too handy with a knife.

jimw
07-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses, although the bear discussions are a little frightening.
We will be there 5 thru the 12 of October. I would appreciate some ideas on types of flys to start tying. Also, I think we would like to have a guide for maybe a half day. Any recommendations?

hw3
08-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Have been to Hazel Ck in SEP/OCT and highly recommend it. Are some college studets there from Appy State in Large campsite short of Bone, but never have seen them camp at Bone. Orange and yellow stimmies are all you need in the fall. Some horse people usually as well. Have been rained on, but no snow. Hope to get back there some day, before I am too old for the trip. Watson