PDA

View Full Version : Stupid

BlueRaiderFan
07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
So, I go to my favorite river near Cookville today. Not much rising. Not much hatching. I had just walked through a field full of grasshoppers. I decide to give a hopper a try and toss it out not expecting much. You know that point when you see a trout flash and think "I'm about to catch a fish!" ? I saw this guy coming and thought "That's too big" The biggest brown I've ever seen in person, hits my hopper pattern. It' WAY bigger than the 18-19" bow that is my current record. I decide about 20 or so seconds into the fight that it would be a good idea to loosen my net so I could "easily" grab it when I got the fish close. As soon as I let go of the line with my stripping hand, he runs toward me, the line goes slack and he's gone...This area is not a stocked area, so I didn't expect to see much and toward the end of the day, I thought I was going to get skunked, but I managed to catch a couple of small bows before dark. I'll never forget that brown that took that hopper though.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/Picture015.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/Picture017.jpg

Carolina Boy
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Sweet story man, If i have learned anything from hooking, losing, and landing large browns it's that more often than not when you think it is time to pull that net you're wrong! Larger fish in general seem to have that final surge when they really think that their life is on the line (parden the pun) but rest assured you ain't the only one to do it, I lost a pure trophy brown on the Chatooga this past spring, but it makes for a nice story plus anytime a fish drills a big-ol hopper it is cool I think micro midges got their place but I like tossing full meals their way!

silvercreek
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
My favorite way to lose them is to try and wind in the slack and get them on the reel. While I'm cranking away they run to me and before I can get up the slack, they are gone. Someday, I'll learn not to have so much slack line out.

Carolina Boy
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Smart fish that flies right at the anglers feet once hooked

BlueRaiderFan
07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
The sad part is that I knew better from reading this board and others. I think I just panicked because he was so dang big.

Tarheelflyfishing
07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I sympathize with you man!! The exact same thing happened to me on the Oconoluftee River. A HUGE bow had grabbed my #10 PMX, ran upstream a hundred yards and then raced back downstream in a split second. I didn't have any time to reel in the slack and he popped the fly out...UGGGHHHH!!! I was mad as all get out... A certain fish and I still have unfinished business.

BlueRaiderFan
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
At least you had an excuse. I had the dang thing hooked and was fightin' with him for a few seconds and made a stupid mistake. The good news: I learned that larger terrestrials do actually work...even for me.:smile:

Carolina Boy
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Aint seen no fish tat dont love a cricket! Ha I love fishin em cause you can smack em down on the surface and it actually helps!

BlueRaiderFan
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I think I have a new addiction. :biggrin:

Tarheelflyfishing
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the club BlueRaider...Love them hoppers!!

highpockets
07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I think of a situation like this every time I tie on a light piece of tippit. "what am I gonna do if a MONSTER grabs this?". I lost two fish in Colorado because of that.

Not trying to hijack your thread Blueraider but this would be a good spot to ask a question i've been wondering about.

When yall are using a streamer that you "strip" (wooly, grey ghost, etc.) and you've got your rod tip down pointed toward the fly and a fish nails it how do you keep it from breaking the line. I've had several grab it and turn so fast that I never ahd a chance.

BlueRaiderFan
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
This was the only really big one I've had on, so I couldn't tell ya. :redface:

highpockets
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
HA

I don't think these were big either, just fast!! ;-)

Carolina Boy
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a slack line issue, kinda like when you got just a small amount of slack in the line and you realize there was a take just a split second late, and pop break off, cuz you got to forces simulteously moving at an instant in the opposite directions, that or bad knots? sometimes a swift strike can result in that, If you are tossing big streamers for big bass or other large aggresive fish I would re-tie the fly on after a good battle with a large fish. Many bass anglers will cut the line and re tie real quick.

BlueRaiderFan
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I always put tension on the line no matter what I get a bite on (ok except when they are huge and I panick and reach for my net). I don't really keep slack in the line with a streamer either.