PDA

View Full Version : brook trout at Cumberland

3wt
07-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I was fishing the cumberland tailwater on saturday and did ok on zebras with split shot, but since the water was up and the fishing a little slow on the river I decided to try the little creek down in the ditch at the hatchery. Fished a while and then caught a small brook trout,:eek: yes really. I have fished cumberland for a while never caught a brookie. I heard that they were planning on stocking them sometime but did not think they already had. Has anyone heard of them stocking brookies yet.:rolleyes:

bones
07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I fish the Cumberland fairly often. I had'nt heard about brookies being stocked; though I too have pulled one brookie from Hatchery Creek in the ditch. Might be something going on up there with the hatchery folks. I can't imagine they get their brood fish from the river. More than likely they get fertilized eggs from somewhere. I think it was some sort of mix up like that at least in my case.

3wt
07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Bones-
I think that it was just a mistake too. Maybe they got some eggs or have started to experiment with the brookies and someone just threw some in the creek to see how they would do. Whatever it was, it sure did surprise me and gave me a slam. the white river in arkansas has browns brookies rainbows and cutthroats. That would be realy awesome if one day the cumberland was the same!

dps260
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Has anyone fished the river? Has the trout fishing been destroyed by the summer heat or is ther not alot of talk because of the generation schedule? I love to fish the Cumberland because it is just far enough away that it feels like far away. Hate to make the drive if the river has been damaged by the recent flows. Thanks for any update.

bredmon930
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't fish the cumberland as much as i like but have heard that the fishing has been horrible this year. Its not the summer heat as we have actually had a really mild summer this year, especially after the past two years. 2007 had record breakers. Its my understanding that its actually all the rain that we have had. Since they have the keep the lake level down then they have to release alot more water than normal, and all the cold water down deep is getting flushed out and getting replenished with all the warm water coming in from the smaller rivers and creeks. That water doesn't have the time to get cold before its having to get released. Its also my understanding its taking its toll on the other species in the lake as well as the river. But in the same token the state releases like a million fish a year in there so I can't for see this to be anything serious. I haven't heard of any kill offs or anything just hard/bad fishing. But some of that could be due to pressure, ever since news of the possible dam collapse and magazines doing write ups on the cumberland, the pressure has grown by leaps.

Just my thoughts.