PDA

View Full Version : My First Smoky Mountain Brookie

duckypaddler
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
After posting on Wednesday about looking for someone to fish with in the Smokies on Thurday, FcFly answered my call. This is only my second year fly fishing and was looking forward to some pointers from a verteran angler. The trip was even more than I could have possibly asked for.

The goal was to catch my first Smoky Mountain Brookie so we headed to the headwaters of the Middle Prong in Greenbriar. After a short hike through what FcFly calls "Bear Alley" we soon made it to the river. I put on my wading pants and boots and prepared for the fishing. FcFly proved top notch right away as he pointed out a yellowjackets nest to advoid. We started fishing our way accross the confluence to the headwaters of the Middle Prong. As soon as we got to the headwaters FcFly soon pointed out a perfect pool where there was bound to be a hungry fish. After a few pointers, I cast and sure enough a fish flashed from nowhere, but I missed him. Within another minute I landed my first Brookie. I was fishing a Neversink Caddis with a bead head pheasant tail dropped off the back. Here is a shot of my first Brookie.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=268

This would prove to be the first of many for the day. While none of the fish were very big, the fishing was excellent. I caught 17 brookies and 4 rainbows which was more fish than I had ever caught in the Smokies. I tried to let FcFly fish ahead as I was more likely to spook the fish, but at every perfect pool he would stop and tell me how to approach it and let me fish it first. This would be an incredibly nice gester from a good friend, let alone someone I just had met through this board. A true class act this guy. We continued to make out way up this beautiful stream on a perfect Summer day. Here is a shot to show what it was like. Heaven!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=269

And a view downstream.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=270

After a bunch more good fishing we made it to the confluence with Buck Fork. FcFly caught a Rainbow at the confluence and was surprised to see Rainbows this high up. Here is a shot of the confluence.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=273

We continued fishing up to the confluence of Chapman prong and decided there to call it a day and start to head back. If I had one regret it would be that we would have fished just a few hundred yards more there was a 30 foot cascade that would have been nice to see. I found out about this cascade a day later. Ooh well just need to make another trip, right?

We headed back down to the confluence of Buck Fork where we found the manway that took us down to the confluence of Middle and Ramsey's Prong. There was a fresh boot print so we where definately not the only ones here recently although this place gives you that feeling of solitude for sure. As we made our way through the deadfalls, I was also happy to find someone had done a bit of trail maintenance to make the trail more passible although its thick going for sure. We then crossed the creek where I changed back into sneakers and shorts for the hike out. FcFly even insisted on buying dinner at the Gondolier in Sevierville on the way home since I drove (like the hours of fishing advice weren't pay back enough)! Left my house at 9, got home at 10:30 to a stressed out wife and 2 screaming babies, but all the peace and good fishing in between made it all seem just fine. Thanks FCFly once again for a great day and I would love to fish with you in the future. Thanks again to Hans and others on this board who take the time to help out a newbie.

And a shot of a nice Brookie FcFly caught.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=271

James Locke

Tarheelflyfishing
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Beautiful Brookies!! Gotta love those Specs... You'll remember your first Smoky Mountain Brookie for the rest of your life.

bones
07-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Love them specs; I've yet to catch up on Greenbrier.

JoeFred
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Yep. The speckled ones are special.

Nice goin' James.

JF

out4trout
07-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice job James!! Great pictures, great fish & great location.

nvr2L8
07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Nicely done, Ducky. Welcome to the band of the brookie obsessed.

And a special hats off to FcFly. This kind of gratis guiding is what makes this sport great. Maybe flyfisherpeople are snobs in some regions but this is a pretty good lot that we hang with. Evidenced by your willingness to share like this.

Seems like there's something at the top of the page about Information, Friendship and Fishing. :rolleyes:

mora521
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't know FcFly but I like him,I don't know Hans either but I like Him.Ducky,you scored a major karmic victory,be thoughtful and teach someone else down the road.

wynnsman
07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Great job, thanks for the post,

duckypaddler
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Defininateky caught that "Brookie Fever"

MadisonBoats
07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
duckypaddler,
Nice pics and writeup... Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us...

Beautiful fish!:smile:

tennswede
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks duckypaddler and mora521, I'll try to help out when I can, you never know when you need someone's advice.

If the weather report changes for the weekend I probably will be looking for some volunteeers to do a trip somewhere. Don't know where yet. email to ahlstedt@knology.net and we can discuss.

Vern
07-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Helping others learn the sport is one of the best things about fly fishing. I don't catch a over abundance of Trout, but I do OK. One my last trip up I took a couple of GSMNP newbies to one of my honey holes, and just watched and gave advice. For me it is almost as fun to give someone advice on how to approach and fish the hole, then watch as they catch their first wild trout, then to fish the hole myself. Notice I said almost!!

duckypaddler
07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
If the weather report changes for the weekend I probably will be looking for some volunteeers to do a trip somewhere. Don't know where yet. email to ahlstedt@knology.net and we can discuss.[/quote]

Maybe some other time. I may be able to fish next Wed or Thursday. Unless the rains keep up, than I'll be boating.