PDA

View Full Version : Little Red

ajh10567
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Well me and a couple of my friends just decided to head down to the the Little Red in a couple weeks for a week of fishing for big browns. So I guess I am going to have to start tying for the trip. Anybody have any recomendations for flies? I know that it is a tailwater so I figured it is going to have some assortment of midges and sowbugs. Oh and also does anybody know a campsite that is on the river or close to it. Thanks for the help in advance.

mstone
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
The guide that we used on the Little Red years ago showed us how to sight fish with #18 or #16 gray sowbugs. Very effective. Google the Little Red River fly shop and you should get a current report. There may be some dry fly fishing going on as well. Good luck. We will be on the White the first week of October.

mstone

silvercreek
07-28-2009, 08:04 PM
If you are referring to the Litttle Red in Arkansas, there is a campground right there at the dam, or there was 15 years ago.

ajh10567
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah I am talking about the Little Red in Arkansas sorry about that I should specify next time.

troutbum76
07-28-2009, 11:30 PM
the little red is my home water and yes there is a campground at the dam. it is the only campsite on the river. i second the little red fly shop recommendation, great shop, great folks (ask for donnie). if you really want to get into the big browns come back in the fall. as far as flies go sowbugs are great for numbers but don't usually produce the bigger fish. uv tan is my favorite color. soft hackles like a red ***, pink *** or a partridge and orange can be killer and sometimes get you the bigger fish. for my money you can't beat streamers for big fish. double bunnies and marabou muddlers are favorites of mine. fish the catch and release are at the dam very early and right at dark. here is a nice rainbow caught at the dam on a pink marabou muddlerhttp://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/troutbum76photo/12-20-2007-01-2.jpg (the handle on that rod is 11 inches)
i also do a lot midge fishing and it can be very successful. have a few secret patterns i can share with you if want just send me an email. will be staying gatlingburg all next week if you want to trade a little fishing help. enjoy the little red it is awesome and the new slot limit regs they have in place have really started an increase in the numbers of quality fish being caught.

ajh10567
07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Troutbum
if you want to meet up sometime in the park when your in town I can show you a few tricks that I have learned.

troutbum76
07-29-2009, 06:39 PM
troutbum76@att.net shoot me an email and we can work out the details

ajh10567
07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I sent you one

troutbum76
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
reply sent