PDA

View Full Version : First trout on flyrod

pitch black
07-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I caught my first wild trout with a flyrod last Saturday, fished the porter creek area up at greenbriar, caught a couple of bows on a yallar hammer twist fly, went again this Tuesday, up the Ramsey prong side, and caught 6 bows most came on greenie weenie,thanks for the info Ted, from LRO, couple on yallar hammer. now want some brookies and some browns. my brother went and gave me some pointers, I still need alot more. buy the way this is a great site, proably more questions later.

nvr2L8
07-30-2009, 05:37 AM
PB,

Congrats! For a new fly fisherman you've done something that I never have and that is to catch a trout on a green weenie. Well done! Now just try and stop. This is actually a support group for the addicted disguised as a message board.

Carolina Boy
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Plus you did it with one of the oldest patterns in these mountains which is pretty cool!

Rog 1
07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Love that area of Greenbrier...I too caught my first trout on Porter's Creek...7" on a Ginger Quill....that was almost 50 years ago and I still remember the spot where I caught it....some things you just never forget.

out4trout
07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
PB
Good job, your first trout is something you will always remember. As for questions...there is no better place to get good answer to your questions than right here in the forum. It definately adds value to fishing experience.

joefly
08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Outstanding! Quite a thrill, isn't it? I caught my first trout in the Smokies this summer too (after many tries), also on a green weenie (caught 5 that day). Here's how I caught my biggest one: cast, got a great presentation and drift, had to pee, so left it hanging in the water, came back and there was a bow on the line. How's that for proper presentation and drift? I kidded several old timers about that but one said, remember I told you to let it hang at the end of a drift, you never know what will happen. Guess he's right.

BlueRaiderFan
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Congrats...dang it:redface:

Plunker
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid it is Chronic!
Congrats....Caught my first Trouts at the Greenbriar...bow low, brook hi...
I can still smell the slime:rolleyes:

bigpopper
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I caught my first wild trout with a flyrod last Saturday, fished the porter creek area up at greenbriar, caught a couple of bows on a yallar hammer twist fly, went again this Tuesday, up the Ramsey prong side, and caught 6 bows most came on greenie weenie,thanks for the info Ted, from LRO, couple on yallar hammer. now want some brookies and some browns. my brother went and gave me some pointers, I still need alot more. buy the way this is a great site, proably more questions later.

Way to go pitch black! I'm hoping to catch some wild gsmnp trout on thursday myself.