PDA

View Full Version : Caney Question

No Hackle
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Hate to admit it but I have never fished the caney. what dam should I watch for generation schedule and where should I start. I dont need any secret holes just an idea. I've fished the Clinch and SoHo for 15 years and I feel the need to explore. I've heard all the talk and can't stand it anymore.
Thanks,Lynn Hayes

silvercreek
08-07-2009, 10:45 AM
You need the generation schedule for Center Hill dam. Go to the TWRA site and look for their stocked streams and eventually you will find a map of the river system with the acccess points. the Lancaster area is about 2.7 miles below the dam. Happy Hollow is about 5.3. The rest area off I-40 is about 6.1. It'll take about 1.5 hours for water to reach Happy Hollow. Hope this helps. They still sometimes lie about the generation schedule so watch out.

BlueRaiderFan
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
If you want to catch a lot of fish, go to the steps. Park in the parking lot below the Corp Of Engineers office. After you get off I40 and exit at Buffalo Valley Rd., you'll go back under I40 and head away from the little hotel/gas station/store they are refurbishing. Go over the railroad tracks (or park near them on the right and walk them to the river). After you go over the tracks, you will see a sign for "Happy Hollow." You can park there and fish (lot's of flats to wade, or fish from the bank). Be careful and look for holes, we had a guy drown last year stepping into one here. If you go past Happy Hollow, you will come to a 3 or 4 way stop (?) with a gas station on the right. They have decent BBQ sandwiches etc. Go right and up the hill. There is a "fly shop" on the right. Last time I was in, they weren't well stocked. Keep going past the shop and you will see the road to the parking lot to the right. Go down the hill to the lot and park near the bathroom if you can. You will see a paved trail by the bathroom. Take it until you reach a brand new set of wood stairs. Wade in and fish. If you go past the road to the stairs and continue until you go over the dam, take a right just as you cross over. Go down the hill. The campground is on your right. Keep going a mile or three and you will see a old store that looks like it's about to fall down on the left. Park there. This is the Lancaster area. Go across the street and down the stairs and start fishing. There is also Betty's island that I know how to get to, but can't really tell you the names of the roads. Also, if you go past the Buffalo Valley Rd exit and park in the lower lot at the rest stop, you can walk down to the river from there. I like this area because there are fewer people (and now I've told everyone). I highly recommend a hopper if nothing else is biting. There are grasshoppers everywhere right now. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Gerry Romer
08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey Lynn --

Best, clearest map showing all public access - by popular name - that I've found... done by the Army Corps of Engineers. And it prints out easily.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/maps/Caney_Fork.pdf

BlueRaiderFan
08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
*crickets chirpping*

Do ya think he checked back? I wrote a LOT :eek:

No Hackle
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey guys thanks for all your help now I'm armed and ready to fish. I may be going Monday if a stiper trip falls through. Let me know I could give someone a ride. Thanks again,Lynn cell 865/228/3750

ajh10567
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I may be able to go to the caney if I can get out of work on monday. I may just give you a call.

Worrgamesguy
08-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I just got home about an hour ago from a Caney float trip with my grandpa, dad, and brother. Boy was it crowded :frown:

Grumpy
08-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Better check the schedule for Monday, forecast, blowing it out:mad:

There goes another trip:frown:

Grumpy