PDA

View Full Version : Paint Creek Morning

prosigna
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I ran down to Paint Creek this morning. I finally was able to fish the section above the campground. I was the first one out and never ran into another person on the trail. I am getting better at spotting water that will hold fish with good feeding lanes. The three I saw from the trail all had fish. I also succeeded in not spooking the fish. I had 4 good hits but my skills with hook setting are still lacking. I leave too much slack in my line and get poor hook sets. I would have fished longer but needed to be home by 11:00

I was lucky enough to run into one other fly fisherman in the parking area as I returned. He was headed out and we chatted for a few minutes. He introduced himself as Hugh Hartsell. He gave me few few pointers and a hand tied fly and went off up the creek.

Hugh Hartsell
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Josh,
I'm glad that I got to meet you this morning and to hear that you caught some fish. Paint Creek is one of my favorite streams and there are always a lot of memories when I go back there. I saw a lot of those Isonychia nymph cases on the rocks as I went upstream and that dropper fly that you said that you used today should be a good one when your up there. I hope to meet you again sometime. Good luck on the water.
Hugh

prosigna
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Hugh,

Was that a Smoky Mountain Blackbird you gave me this morning?

Hugh Hartsell
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Josh,
You're right. It was the Smoky Mountain Blackbird Softhackle. It has caught a lot of nice fish from Paint Creek and Camp Creek.
Hugh

Speckleman5
08-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Josh,
Y It has caught a lot of nice fish from Paint Creek and Camp Creek.
Hugh
Hugh, as far as I can tell it has caught a lot of nice fish everywhere it hits the water.:biggrin:

tennswede
08-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Prosigna!

You didn't happen to take the water temp, did you?

Thanks

prosigna
08-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I did not take the temp. I will say this, it is much colder than it has been since June.

tennswede
08-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks Josh, I'm just back from upper east TN and the river I fished was colder now than a month ago. Thanks to all the rain.