PDA

View Full Version : Fish Camp Prong

Crockett
08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Going to do an overnight trip soon and fish up Fish Camp Prong. Any advice on this stream like what might I expect to catch and what to use this time of year? Also which backcountry campsite would you stay at #23 or #24 or another?

Thanks!

Rog 1
08-14-2009, 09:11 AM
If you are only doing one night I would stay at 24....but check on whether it is open...had been closed earlier for bear activity...from 24 it is a short walk back to FCP...grew up fishing this particular stream and love everything about it...some great dry fly water....favorite stretch is about a mile or so up the river to where the trail narrows and there is a big while rock on the left where the trail turns to the left...there is a high bluff on up the trail a ways....if you put in just before the trail starts to climb there is a nice stretch of flat water that usually fishes well...campsite 23 is at the Goshen Prong...either side here the water gets smaller but still has good fishing but there are no trails to come out on....it is quite a hike back to 23 so not much of a deal if only for a night....EHC in yellow, stims, para adams or thunderhead for dries....have had good luck in the past with a lead wing coachman wet fly....

Crockett
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks Rog1 for the reply! I got a spot tomorrow night at #24. I asked the lady at the backcountry info line if there were any spots still left there and she said "oh yeah all kinds" so that was easy lol. It does have a bear warning but I think it always does. Probably from the bear that trashed PlateauAnglers tent a couple months back. I am pretty excited about this one. Thanks for the info on fish camp prong too!

tennswede
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Just be careful wading, it has a blowdown of trees about half a mile up from the mouth. It's half a mile below of the spot Rog talked about. I was there about a month and a half ago. Very tricky during high water.

Crockett
08-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks tennswede I will be careful. I am making it a weekend backpacking trip and will be coming down from Clingmans to cs # 24 via goshen prong trail. Then fishing tomorrow night and back up to Clingmans on Sunday via rough creek and sugarland mtn trails. It will be quite a haul back up there but I do a lot of backpacking. Its the fishing that I am not really good at. Will anyone else be in the LR/Fish prong area over the weekend?

Scott H.
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Crockett,

How did the trip go? I have been thinking about going up there in September, and was wondering what it was like.

Thanks,

Scott

Crockett
08-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Scott well it was quite an adventure. It rained a lot up at Clingmans and Saturday night at #24. It also rained Sunday. On Monday morning I checked the Newfound gap 24 hour weather report and it showed .64 inches which seemed about right but down in Maryville they got no rain at all. I didn't get much fishing in because the hike was long and hard. I left Clingmans dome at noon on Saturday and got to #24 at around 6pm. It was raining hard when I got there and got camp setup. I fished in the pouring rain for less than an hour near #24 using a greenie weenie and caught a little bow that fell off before I got it in. Never fished in the pouring rain like that so that was new to me. Got up early on Sunday and hiked out since I had a big climb back up. I left camp at 8am and went up via rough creek trail (rough creek looked fishable I wonder if anyone fishes it) to sugarland mtn trail over mount collins on the AT back to clingmans. That was a heck of a climb and it took me till 6pm to get back to my truck. Didn't get to fish on fish camp prong or goshen prong but both looked great. I plan to go back and this time walk up from the little river trailhead which is much wiser if you plan on getting much fishing in.

Rog 1
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
With the water the way it is this year Rough Creek will have fish in it....it is a tight little "crick" once you get away from the camping area....I have caught browns and bows withing sight of my tent....sorry you were not able to fish coming down....you walked past some of the best dry fly water in the park on the upper sections of FCP and Goshen....

Scott H.
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Man! I hate that you had bad weather.

Thanks for the report. I would be hiking from down at the Little River trailhead if I go.

thanks again.

Scott

Crockett
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Smart idea hiking it from LR trailhead. Next time I am going to do that so I can spend my day concentrating on fishing instead of walking lol! Although it was a very nice hike. There is a cave up high on the goshen prong trail about a mile up above #23 that was fairly big. It is right on the trail. I stopped since it was raining and shined my flashlight back in it and was surprised to see a pillow and sleeping bag amongst other stuff back in there. It was very dark and I couldn't see if it turned a corner on back. I yelled in there but no one answered. Kinda scared me thinking it might be someone on the run from the law or something like that in there but probably just abandoned gear.

Carlito
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Dude, that is bizarre. A mile above #23 is fairly remote. Did the stuff look abandoned?

Crockett
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
It didn't look really old to me. It couldn't have been there for too long. The pillow was a big one like you would have on your bed at home which was strange cause I couldn't imagine someone dragging a big pillow that far into the backcountry. Then there was a gray sleeping bag and some other loose gear around that I couldn't make out. The cave was really neat looking and I would have gone in there and checked it out but I was weirded out by the gear and got spooked. I was alone and didn't want some escaped convict jumping me for my backpacker meals haha. All I had to protect myself was hiking poles and a Kershaw knife. After I called out and didn't get an answer I took off.

Jim Casada
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
There are actually some scary possibilities, with marijuana planting activities being one of them. That's a little far back for such activity, but a good many years ago I sort of blundered into precisely such an operation on Hazel Creek. Fortunately a cousin who was with me at the time was a Federal Wildlife guy (he's the head of a couple of refuges in Florida) and knew what to do. It ended up with some citations/arrests and confiscation of several quart jars packed with marijuana seeds which were clearly destined to be planted. You probably did the right thing by hightailing it. Jim Casada

Rog 1
08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
There were times when some of the locals would take camping supplies up there and bury them in a drum to keep from having to pack them in every time they wanted to go fishing. While I have never been above 23 on the Goshe Prong there is a large overhang back where 23 used to be with a sandy floor...this was known locally as camp rock and a lot of the locals would camp there without the use of a tent....all of this activity was back when you could drive up to the forks of the river making the walk into 23 a whole lot shorter....I have seen locals carrying coolers and stoves out of 23 after camping up there....these days it sure pays to be safe rather than sorry....hope you do get to go fishing up there soon...

Rebelsoul
08-20-2009, 08:19 AM
In my wanderings over the years in wilderness areas I've learned one thing...that the most dangerous animal is the two legged one.
Nowadays you really have to be aware of people who are in remote areas that seem to be out of place....don't strike up conversations or turn your back on most.That's not the way I was raised but some encounters over the years have taught me that.
And the way I look might be scary to some too.....:biggrin:
you did the best thing in not waiting around to see who might have left the sleeping gear there.
A friend of mine who is a combat vet of 23 months in Vietnam,a chief of police and was a NP Ranger out west for 17 years and was involved in crime investigation in parks,has told me more than once,"Anybody who goes into a national park without a gun is a **** fool."

silvercreek
08-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Sad, but true. Not even safe in your own home anymore. Nashville is running around a home invasion per week. Just had another yesterday. Last I heard you will be able to carry in the Smokys at some point. A few months ago I emailed the folks at the Cherokee National Forest as to whether that law applied to them, but I never got an answer.

Carlito
08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
What really creeps me out is the thought of some sort of vagrant or malicious person hiding out so close to a popular campsite. Of course, if anything did happen to someone camping legitimately at campsite 23 it would quickly become known, but it still really creeps me out.

tennswede
08-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Ok folks, where do you rather be?

On Goshen Pring Trail at night or a dark alley somewhere in Knoxville or any similar sized town?

Rebelsoul
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM

On Goshen Pring Trail at night or a dark alley somewhere in Knoxville or any similar sized town?
I'll take the wilderness anyday,and not the concrete jungle.
I feel like I have a distinct edge over other two legged critters in the woods,but not so in civilization.

Carlito
08-21-2009, 08:29 AM

I'll definitely take the trail! Especially if I have my Surefire E1B and SOG Seal Pup on my belt :cool:

I'm way more worried about stepping on a rattler these days than bumping into some creepy troglodyte!

Rebelsoul
08-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Carlito,
I like the looks of that SOG knife....I always carry my trusty old KaBar,but still might buy one of those some day.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either in the hands of somebody who knows how to use them.

Carlito
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I actually carry the plain edged Sealpup Elite with the bead blasted finish (I think SOG calles it "satin"), and I am very pleased with it. I also carry a fire striker in the small pouch on the sheath and some dryer lint in my chestpack for those riverside trout lunches! Can't go wrong with the good ole KaBar. There's a reason that knife has been so popular. Does yours have the compartment in the handle for a survival kit?

Rebelsoul
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
The KaBar that I carry is the regular old Marine knife...I have several and they're all great but this one just has a great feel to it.
I also carry flint and steel and a few other survival items whenever I roam in the woods.A military tritium lensatic compass is my favorite also,there's better,lighter ones though.
I learned to make a fire with flint and steel from a friend who did mountain man reenacting about 30 years ago....if you haven't tried it,learn how to make "char cloth",it will hold a spark and start a fire better than anything and is easy to make.

silvercreek
08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Try a small pice of fine steel wool. Catches a spark like crazy. I just carry a bic lighter in my vest. Thousands of lights. Needs a small plastic bag to keep the flint dry though.

Rog 1
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I second the bic lighter and with all the dead hemlocks in the woods now a quick start to a fire is almost guaranteed.

duckypaddler
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I really enjoyed reading this thread until it was no longer about fishing. It's nice to see people follow up question posts iwth a description of how the experience went.

It's a shame that people often come up with far fetched conclusions to what they see. If a convict, pot grower, or crazed rebel was in the forest, I really doubt they would be in that cave that's pretty much on the trail for every hiker to see. Often when we are in remote areas we forget how much use they actually get. I'm not trying to say that **** doesn't happen in the forrest, but let's be real.

Since it was raining wouldn't it make much more sense that someone stashed their gear? Maybe someone will find my hidden tennis shoes when I hike in to fish and think that was all that was left from a bear encounter.

I'm heading to the park right now and hope to post a nice report in the next few days!

Rant Over,
james

Carlito
08-25-2009, 09:01 AM
It's a shame that people often come up with far fetched conclusions to what they see. If a convict, pot grower, or crazed rebel was in the forest, I really doubt they would be in that cave that's pretty much on the trail for every hiker to see. Often when we are in remote areas we forget how much use they actually get. I'm not trying to say that **** doesn't happen in the forrest, but let's be real.

Dude, I don't think anyone that has posted on this thread has come to any "far fetched conclusions" or even any conclusions at all. Also, that cave that Crockett was referring to is about 7 miles from trailhead, and if he felt funny about it, he did the right thing to trust his instincts and head on out of there. I think everyone here is "being real," and I personally enjoy hearing about what sort of gear other people carry when they are in the woods. Sorry you don't enjoy the same.

GrouseMan77
08-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I really don't feel that this thread took a bad turn.

Sometimes it is good to hear what other fishermen run accross. It doesn't seem that it was that long ago that people were chatting it up about kayaking the Raven Fork and other such foolishness. :eek: As far as I am concerned most of the "kayakers" in the park are as bad as the tubers.

Carlito
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I really don't feel that this thread took a bad turn.

Sometimes it is good to hear what other fishermen run accross. It doesn't seem that it was that long ago that people were chatting it up about kayaking the Raven Fork and other such foolishness. :eek: As far as I am concerned most of the "kayakers" in the park are as bad as the tubers.

Kayaking in the park is hardcore for sure. Those guys and gals are nuts!

Bran
08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I personally really got interested in it when it turned into CSI! And I do enjoy hearing about other's preferences for gear etc. In the last 10 minutes I've Googled 3 different things on this thread that I had no idea of before including the definition of "troglodyte". What a neat word!
True story: I was 11 years old on a 4 night camping trip in the Virginia Blue Ridge along the AT. We were on a trip with the Royal Ambassadors church group. I went downhill one evening to get water from the spring for the campsite, I was on edge because of the counselors feeding us a bunch of stories about an escaped convict in the area. A treetop shook down in the ravine as I walked the ledge above the spring, I looked over to see the "coon" or "opossum" but there was a man looking back at me with a huge kbar in his hand. He started scuffling and scrambling toward me, I threw the bucket and took off. Back at camp they radioed the state police who were there within a couple of hours. I was interviewed several times and we were taken back out to civilization that night. I'll never forget it, but the funny thing of it all now is that we all thought the counselors were just pulling our legs about the escapee.

Carlito
08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
I looked over to see the "coon" or "opossum" but there was a man looking back at me with a huge kbar in his hand. He started scuffling and scrambling toward me, I threw the bucket and took off.

Holy crap! I bet it was a while before you were willing to head down to the creek by yourself again ;)

Crockett
08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
LIke I said it was probably just some abandoned gear. I didn't even mention it in my original report but remembered it later. No harm in speculating or discussing it though that can be fun sometimes :)

Rebelsoul
08-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't think this thread has taken a bad turn either....what happens when a bunch of fishermen,hunters or other outdoorsmen get together?...they start relating experiences,some of which are much more interesting than the fishing.
You never know....I once came upon a couple of guys who had found a human skeleton beside a small stream that was about 50 yards behind a house and within sight of a county road...she was murdered by a boyfriend and dumped off a small bridge upstream,and washed down to where her skeleton was discovered several months later.Not a pretty sight at all.
Cops descended upon the space very quickly after one of the guys made a call.
All this happened less than 2 miles from a small town in Middle Tn.
Want to tell me s*** happens?....I know it does!:eek: