PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from the Smokies

indianafly
08-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I took my dad to the Smokies for the first time this weekend and had a great time. This was the first time he fished with a fly rod and the first time to catch a trout. We both put up some big numbers Friday and landed a few on Saturday but Sunday was the crowning jewel. I try to get down and fish the Smokies a few times a year and the biggest fish I've caught was a 14 bow from Eagle but on the my dad's first time in the smokies with a fly rod and the first time for trout ever he lands a bow that was just shy of 17 inches. I have never seen him that happy. He looked like a teenager again. Well here is my dad with the catch of the trip. Any guesses where we were?

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv261/R-Shaw/100_2602.jpg

Carolina Boy
08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
That is Awesome! My Dad doesn't fish near as much as I do, he does with me cause i love it, no fish I ever catch will make me as happy as seeing him get one! Congrats

Rebelsoul
08-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Great picture!
I don't know where it is but I wish I was there,beautiful!

PoorlyTiedFly
08-17-2009, 09:08 AM
what a great story. that is one that you will never forget - you will catch bigger fish and maybe have better weekends - but that trip will your dad will be immortal.

Carlito
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice one! Congrats to the old man ;-) Looks like you guys were fishing some pretty big water. Did he catch it on that green weenie I see in the photo?

indianafly
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
He was using a 14 yellow stimulator and a green weenie drop but this guy came up from the bottom of the pool and took the stimulator. He told me about watching it come up and taking it. He couldn't get over how clear the water was. The pool was at least 6 foot deep.

indianafly
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I do have a question for anyone that wants to answer it. I've heard of big browns being caught in the Smokies but how often does a bow this size gets caught?

gg1262
08-17-2009, 02:25 PM
My man, that is AWESOME......I have no "scientific" data to back this up bu I would say a bow just shy of 17 inches has got to be in the 90-95 percentile , ie, in the top 5 - 10% of bows in the park. There just isn't enough food for them to get that large "typically". And of course, it's the "newby" that gets the bigun' for the trip. Fantastic, oh.....I'm guessing NC side, maybe Occonaluftee??

JohnR
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Wow, that's a beauty! Glad to see you having a good time taking your Dad along. (Can I adopt ya? My son ain't into fishing. :p )

JohnR

indianafly
08-17-2009, 05:21 PM
gg1262- I've never fished Abrams but I've heard there are some big bows there. We headed there Saturday but we didn't know that they keep it closed for bike riders until 10:00 so we hit a few different streams I never fished before. As far as your guess goes it was a good try but we where on the Tennesse side and I would have never thought a fish that size would have been in it.

JohnR- Thanks for the offer but I think I'll stick with my dad. Anyway I doubt you would want to adopt a 28 year old.

pineman19
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
The huge boulders tell the story. Only two streams like that on the TN side. LP;)

rivergal
08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice fish! I am guessing near the Chimneys? I am looking to adopt
a grandson ,if he will tell his feeble granny where the fish are!

indianafly
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Rivergal got it. I was hoping I was going to be able to keep it to myself. I've only seen one other group of fishermen there. I fish it every time I come down and I always put up good numbers with some decent sized fish. I just hope it stays that way. Best of luck to everyone in the Smokies with a fly rod and keep your lines tight.