PDA

View Full Version : Information on Caney

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
My son-in-law and I will be going to the Caney for the afternoon to do a little fly fishing tomorrow----------does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what to use that might us land a few? We would welcome anyone who would like to meet us there. Just let us know the time. Thanks for any help

silvercreek
08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Do a forum search, and you will find a ton of info on the Caney. Someone ( wish I could recall who) had a source for a good map showing the access points. There is a good, but not as good map available from the TWRA web site. The post regarding the map was within the Month of August or late July. The TWRA map does show more backroads though. Expect midges and a lot of company. Have a good trip.

silvercreek
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok, I just had to know so, searched it. Hopefully this site will post. If not look for posts by Gerry Romer for the map.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/maps/Caney_Fork.pdf

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the link to the map. I will print it off and use it tomorrow. I know it may be crowded but this is the only time my son-in-law can go, so we will probably have plenty of company.

Stonefly
08-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Today's generation schedule was on for 2 hrs, up until noon I think. Tomorrow's isn't posted yet, but possibly similar? You can ck later today at http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=CNH&DataType=All&submit=View+info

sb

wm1miller
08-21-2009, 08:38 PM
SkipJack,
I fished the Caney this afternoon near mile marker 26 and it was on fire. Caught lots of browns, rainbows and brookies.
I suggest that you park below the dam, at the Buffalo Valley Management Office (on the northeast side of the river) at the end of the road and follow the trail about one half mile downstream and enter the water at the stairs. You can wade a short distance upstream and several hundred yards downstream.
You are correct, it will be crowded, but there is lots of room to fish.
I caught fish on a greenie weenie, a wooly bugger and a bead head soft hackle. Midges usually fish very well.
Good Luck!
William

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Wm1miller
Thanks for the info. I have all the flies you mention and will use all tomorrow. I fished this area last year with lots of other guys and still caught some nice bows but no browns or brookies. I hope my luck changes tomorrow. I will give a report next week. Again thanks for info.
Bill

David Knapp
08-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I fished this area last year with lots of other guys and still caught some nice bows but no browns or brookies. I hope my luck changes tomorrow.

I won't be fishing tomorrow but next time you head this way give me a holler and I'll try to put you on some browns and brookies if you're interested...

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Plateau Angler
Will let you know when I am back this way and hope we can hook up for a trip. I am going to experiment with some other flies that are not used much on the Caney and see if I can get some hits----scuds, eggs and worms. Thanks
Bill

Stonefly
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Scuds are definitely a standard on the Caney, more so in some sections than others.

sb

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
What about egg patterns and worms? I know these patterns are used on the White in Arkansas and with some success.

Skipjack
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
What about egg patterns and worms. I know both are used on the White in Arkansas and with some success.

monktrout
08-22-2009, 07:04 AM
I was on the Caney at Happy Hollow on Friday afternoon. Water was up and fishing was only fair. Wind picked up and midge surface activity was sparse. I used a bugger with a black zebra midge tied off the bend of the bugger. All the fish that I brought in took the midge. Had a few other bumps. Another fisher said he had done well in the morning by the dam and a little downstream.
Monktrout

Skipjack
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
My son-in-law and I caught fish yesterday eary in the afternoon. It was the best trip we have had on the Caney. We caught more browns than anything else----caught most on a midge dropped off a parachute adams. Some came on top-----really a fun trip. Thanks to all on the board for all the info. it really helped out