PDA

View Full Version : Big Bow

silvercreek
08-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Hugh, checking out your site, and man what a nice bow you took. Hope you will post a pic on the forum. From the looks of that rod grip it looks like you may have caught him on a new rod. Nice very nice.

Hugh Hartsell
08-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Silvercreek, thank you very much for the nice compliment on the fish. There have been some short windows of opportunity to fish the Holston River in the last week or so and I took advantage of the time, and "as you mentioned", I wanted to try out a new rod. I upgraded a St.Croix Legend Ultra that I broke, to a new St.Croix Legend Elite. I will have to say that it has performed flawlessly. I paired it up with a Bauer Reel that I had bought from LROs a few years ago. It is a great match. This fish was just one of many that have gone over 20inches this season. I have several friends that have hooked fish about this size or better and some of them have looked to be in the 30inch range. If the fish in the Holston River survive this year we are going to have trout that will rival the size that we used to see in the Little Tennessee River many years ago.
I placed the picture of the fish on my opening page and I know it needs some editing to fit correctly so anyone who looks at it please give me until tomorrow to make it look a little more professional.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/

Hugh

highpockets
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
yep, that's a pretty bow!!

waterwolf
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Hugh,

That is a beautiful rainbow and not uncommon as you state for the Holston, looks to be 19" or 20", congrats. However, please be realistic when stating fish size. 30" fish in the Holston, rainbow or brown? Myself and a couple of other holston fishers had the chance to ride the shocking boat this year on the Holston and rest assured we turned ZERO fish over 24", and only one was over 21". They are great fish no doubt, but the potential for a monster does not exist there as it does on the Clinch or South Holston.

I am not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know there are alot of people that will read this and laugh, in the end it affects your credibility. If you care.

Hugh Hartsell
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Waterwolf,
The only people who might be laughing are the ones who have hooked or caught fish that are in the size range that I mentioned. They are laughing at you, the person who is supposed to be God's gift to the flyfishing world. The fish that I linked to measured 23inches long. There are 2 other fish on my website that measured 24inches long that were caught out of that river. There is another that measured 26 inches long that was caught last year. I can give you the names of people who hooked and fought fish that were in the size range that I mentioned. I've never said that any one landed them but they sure have hooked and played some in that size range. I'm sorry that your abilities are not good enough to hook any that size and if your shocking team has not seen any of them--too bad. If you have the right amount of money, I'll take you on a guided trip and show you how to fish properly.
When you learn to to have the proper respect for other people, maybe you'll have some credibility.
Hugh

tire guy
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Mr. Waterwolf, I do not know you so I can just assume you believe what you say is true so for that I give you the benefit of doubt. As for Hugh if he said those monsters exist my money is on him, because I have experienced his ability to teach and guide. I hope someday you catch a monster and be man enough to say Hugh told you so.
I do not post often but I read most of them and you obviously know something of the sport and local waters, but it is possible someone else may know a bit too. Please do not take this as an attack but as support to the creditability of a good man.

Flat Fly n
08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Uhh. I will jump in as well. Nice fish. Looks to be at most 19, but not 20, but a nice fish. Even in the hayday of the Clinch I don't know of any 30 inch bows being caught. Can the Holston produce that? Maybe, but I will have to remain a Doubting Thomas unless you can show me a picture with a ruler beside it, and then I will say sorry and eat my words as well.

BTW. Rough measurement on my computer and comparison of the width of your fingers to the fish, just to add up to a 23' rainbow. Sorry. I have to go with Wolf on this one.

Shaggy
08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I will take the credibility of Mr. Hartsell over Waterwolf anyday. Seems to me that every time I read a post by you wolf, you are starting up some kind of trouble. God forbid anybody should know anything more than the almighty Waterwolf. Doesnt seem that you need to "try" to be a jerk, just comes natural. What a disrespectful ***!

pineman19
08-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Frick and Frack strike again:rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I've done a little electro-shocking myself and I can tell you; it does not turn up every fish. The rare 30incher would be fairly elusive because they are rare and because they are intelligent and fast as ****. I have taken pictures of 14 inch fish that look like 10 inch fish when I upload the picture. It happens. Besides, a few extra inches is what we call "fishermans discretion." ;) Mr. Hartsell has been around for a long time. If he says it's a big un, I believe him.

highpockets
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
First and foremost I'm a member of another outdoor website that is covered up with folks that like to start little fires and watch them grow. I'm watching as that website slowly dies. Lets keep this one alive and happy.

Questioning a mans integrity is something best done in person. It happens less often that way!

30" Fish, in the ELK RIVER. NO WAY!

That's what everybody used to say to us as well. Until Mr. Jim Whoric caught one that was 30+ last year. They're there, you just have to first hook, then get one to camera or net.

I'll post a pic shortly!

Flat Fly n
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Frack here..I'm just saying that is the shortest 23' rainbow I have ever seen. Sorry. Nice fish however.

On the Frack scale with a ruler. 241/2" PS. "it takes two hands to handle a whopper" PSS. That's the ruler hanging down off my vest.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/NorthFork.jpg
19" Clinch Bow
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/scan0004.jpg
Another Clinch bow. Circa 1988
Didn't even measure this one I was shaking so bad, but it wasn't 30".....but the guy on the shore that saw me release it said.."that's a nice un, big un"
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/scan0001.jpg

So Pineknot...frack you!

highpockets
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
On the subject of pictures. I was really disappointed with the lousy picture I took of that brown I caught recently. I mean that sucker was the biggest i've ever caught and in the picture it looks like a 2nd year stocker!

Rockyraccoon
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Love the Kype on that guy Flat! Nice Pic.

gutshot
08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
When you see the little "cm" on that side of the ruler it means centimeters. There are ~2.54 of those per inch.

GS

waterwolf
08-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Hugh, please let me know when you have an open date in your boat. I will happily pay the cash so you can guide me on the Holston. If you think I am kidding please don't, I am dead serious. I want you to show me what is there as it is obvious that I have no clue how to fish the Holston for big fish.

Thanks for the responses they made me laugh this morning...

pineman19
08-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Mr. Flat,

Sorry I offended you! Those are pretty decent fish. My only concern is that posting pics of large fish supposely caught on the Clinch during the "Golden Years" will just add to the amount of anglers on this already crowded river.

Hugh Hartsell
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Waterwolf,
I'm going to take you up on your offer to take a guided trip if you will stipulate to my conditions. If you feel that you can't do it, I'll understand.
First of all, I am not doing float trips at the present time. I am still in the process of recovering from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer and the Chemo really did some damage to the muscles and nerve endings in my feet, legs, and arms. I've really not had the energy to use the boat so far this year. I have only been doing wade trips. Because of the damage done to the feet and legs with those treatments, I have had to start using a wading staff for the first time in my life and I'm a little slower at manuvering in the water. No guide can guarantee that any client will catch fish so with that factor laid out to start with, here are my terms.
If I understood what you were saying about your shocking experience this year, you only turned up one fish that was over 21inches and none that was 24 inches. If you want to meet with me and do a wade trip, I'll be glad to do so. I do not want any money from you, but I will ask that if either of us catch a fish that is over the size of the largest fish that you shocked up that you will agree to stop bashing people on this board and show respect for all flyfishermen. If we have a bad day on the water, then we'll do it again. I will understand your work schedule and you will have to understand mine. This will just be between you and me and the camera. I am booked both days this weekend so we'll watch the generation schedule and work from there.

Hugh

highpockets
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Here's some pics of the Browns that don't exist in the Elk. Or at least that's what everybody says.http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs142.snc1/5256_101789783168574_100000126595199_47810_3704455 _n.jpg

highpockets
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs122.snc1/5256_101789779835241_100000126595199_47809_6847628 _n.jpg

pineman19
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
That's a serious pig Highpockets.

waterwolf
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Waterwolf,
I'm going to take you up on your offer to take a guided trip if you will stipulate to my conditions. If you feel that you can't do it, I'll understand.
First of all, I am not doing float trips at the present time. I am still in the process of recovering from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer and the Chemo really did some damage to the muscles and nerve endings in my feet, legs, and arms. I've really not had the energy to use the boat so far this year. I have only been doing wade trips. Because of the damage done to the feet and legs with those treatments, I have had to start using a wading staff for the first time in my life and I'm a little slower at manuvering in the water. No guide can guarantee that any client will catch fish so with that factor laid out to start with, here are my terms.
If I understood what you were saying about your shocking experience this year, you only turned up one fish that was over 21inches and none that was 24 inches. If you want to meet with me and do a wade trip, I'll be glad to do so. I do not want any money from you, but I will ask that if either of us catch a fish that is over the size of the largest fish that you shocked up that you will agree to stop bashing people on this board and show respect for all flyfishermen. If we have a bad day on the water, then we'll do it again. I will understand your work schedule and you will have to understand mine. This will just be between you and me and the camera. I am booked both days this weekend so we'll watch the generation schedule and work from there.

Hugh

There is a huge difference in bashing and questioning, first and foremost.
I respect all fly fisherman who treat others on the river with respect and courtesy and do not attempt to boast/brag/exaggerate for personal gains of any type. If folks fall out of the above categories I am quick to call a spade a spade. Just the way it is.

Back to the point.....It is not a good idea for me, you, or anyone else to be fishing the Holston right now. The water temp as of yesterday was 71 degrees, plenty cool enough for the fish to survive if left alone, but plenty warm enough to cause harm if a fish is caught right now.

I will take you up on it this winter or there after when the water cools. You might be shocked and may actually learn something from a now retired Holston guide and river bum. Stay in touch...

Hugh Hartsell
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Brother,
According to the emails that I have gotten since last night there is a world of difference in your idea about bashing and numbers of others on this board. There is one thing that I can agree with that you mentioned and that is that the water temps are coming up in the river. I'll stick by my guns about the trip and about the size of the fish. We'll do it out in the future if I'm still alive. I have said to every client that I've ever taken out on the stream that "I learn something from everyone that I fish with". I hope that continues to happen when we get together and as long as I can make it to a stream. Good fishing to you.
Hugh

Mike_Anderson
08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Hugh I wasnít aware of your illness. I donít know you on a personal level but based on your internet persona that Iíve come to know over the last several years Iím comfortable saying that youíre a humble, caring, and just really nice guy. I for one enjoy fish tales, pictures, and long winded stories that are so twisted with untruth that they could only have come from the mouth of a fisherman. They motivate me to learn more and become a better angler. But,,, I try not to take it that serious, its just fishing not world politics.

Youíve done a great job with your site and have taught many people a lot about the sport. Iíd love to join you for a day on some of those East TN rivers like we talked about sometime ago. I'm confident that I would learn plenty. Youíre a class act Hugh keep it up, our prayers are with you and your family.

Grannyknot
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I for one enjoy fish tales, pictures, and long winded stories that are so twisted with untruth that they could only have come from the mouth of a fisherman.

I like Mr. Anderson's take on this.......afterall, isn't the creation of tall tales what we do best? :biggrin:

Gerry Romer
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Waterwolf,

Hugh

Check and mate to Mr. Hugh Hartsell!!

Nicely done, Hugh. You made him an offer he could neither refuse nor fulfill. When he looks up the word "respect" in his dictionary, all waterwolf sees is a picture of a weasel. As he has amply demonstrated here and on other boards, waterwolf is incapable of respecting anyone or anything that isn't named Jim Jordan.

First and foremost I'm a member of another outdoor website that is covered up with folks that like to start little fires and watch them grow. I'm watching as that website slowly dies. Lets keep this one alive and happy.

Fortunately, we only have one little weasel here who likes to flick his bic from time to time. Most of us just ignore him. By and large, he's made himself irrelevant.

Gerry Romer

Green Weenie
08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
In the words of my generation: PWNED!!! :biggrin:

pineman19
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Hugh,

As always you have showed a lot of class on the forum. I believe I saw you guiding a lady at Nances Ferry during the spring 0f 2008. I didn't get a chance to talk to you as I didn't want to interrupt your fishing. I wish you the very best in your battle against cancer. You have been a strong and helpful presence on the board since its inception. I look forward to seeing you again on the Holston one day and get the chance to talk to you.

Neal

Hugh Hartsell
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Fellas,
Thanks to each one of you for your concerns and prayers about the cancer. It seems that the Chemo treatment was successful and the cancer is in remission now. I have been able to get back out on the stream and it really feels good. Let's turn our attention now to some great Fall fishing that will be coming up soon. I guided in the Park yesterday and the water levels and temperatures were fantastic for this time of the year. The tubers are almost all gone and we're back to normal.
Mike, the time of the year is coming up for some great fishing on the South Holston Rver. I hope you get a chance to come up this year and maybe we can spend a day together on some fine water. I have truely admired your catches from the Cumberland and the Caney in the past so I'm ready to watch you lay out those streamers and tube flies and perform your magic. Give me a call if you get a chance to get up here.
Hugh

Grampus
08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
"Can't we all just get along?"
Rodney King

stuart
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
BTW. Rough measurement on my computer and comparison of the width of your fingers to the fish, just to add up to a 23' rainbow. Sorry. I have to go with Wolf on this one.
You measure Hugh's hands in person? Sounds weird to me. Ok a 23' "that is 23feet right" bow is HUGE where I come from so congrats Hugh!
I don't know Hugh "personally" but have met him on a few occasions and if he said he caught "bigfoot" I would say really what on a 12wt? He is a great guy and does not blow things up. Not trying to stir, just sticking up for one of the good ones. BTW Hugh I hope things are ok. Yell at me SoHo is calling.

STU

Maurer
08-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Sometimes I just think wow! I have lived in Tennessee for four years now. There is more water to fish than a man could fish in ten lifetimes. I'm sure some have tried. There is also more diversity here than any where else I can think of. You have warm water, tailwater, freestone and lakes. It is truly incredible.

We also have some truly greats that have made their stamp on the fishing and fly fishing history, which is unique when it comes to thinking of the Smokies.

I admit I am the newbie here, but I down right love to fly fish. I love to teach newbies how to cast and hear about their first catch. I love to be the first person on the water before the sun rises above the tree line. I love to be the last one on the water as everyone else heads for home. Sometimes I try to do both in the same day. Fly Fishing is Awesome!

I also love to listen to the people that have been here and fished before me. Mr. Hartsell your presentation at the LRCTU meeting was great. I've also listened to Tim Landis on the South Holston, wow. Seen first hand the knowledge and fly tying skills of Tim Doyle (thank you for my fish of a lifetime), I'll also confess I've secretly watched both Ray Ball and Jack Gregory from a distance, the things you can learn! These men are just a few of the greats that have fished before us. The list is endless and would also include Eddie George, Mr. Blackburn, Walter Babb, and many many more.

This place can be what we want to make of it. A place for learning, knowledge, sharing, helping and great fish stories is what I would prefer. I'd hate to see it become anything less. I'd also like to see a bunch more fish pics, really isn't that what we're all here for.

Tightlines, I'll be on the Caney Fork tomorrow for my birthday, getting up at 4:00am. Can't wait!

waterwolf
08-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Check and mate to Mr. Hugh Hartsell!!

Nicely done, Hugh. You made him an offer he could neither refuse nor fulfill. When he looks up the word "respect" in his dictionary, all waterwolf sees is a picture of a weasel. As he has amply demonstrated here and on other boards, waterwolf is incapable of respecting anyone or anything that isn't named Jim Jordan.

Fortunately, we only have one little weasel here who likes to flick his bic from time to time. Most of us just ignore him. By and large, he's made himself irrelevant.

Gerry Romer

I happily accepted the offer, but as stated the water has warmed to 70 degrees and neither him, me or anyone else needs to be on the Holston right now. If you can't understand that, then oh well.

There are ample folks around who have earned respect, A few on this board.... Flat Fly N', Mike Bone, Old School, Troutman, Seagull, Rockyracccoon, 4X, Steve Wright, lar, Chemeangler, Madison Boats and others have my upmost respect.

Gerry I have no idea who you are, and honestly don't care, but if you want to settle our differences please send me an e-mail and we can take care of them.

rivergal
08-26-2009, 07:09 AM
A few weeks ago I walked up on a female Bobwhite quail in the road of the Forks of the River Wildlife area in the Island Home community. The quail
would not fly, and acted somewhat tame. I wondered if the quail was pen raised ,and somebody released it there.Years ago I heard an old timer refer to quail as "patridges." To Mr. Hartsell, I admire your positive attitude.
Keep putting your boots on everyday.

Gerry Romer
08-26-2009, 08:44 AM
As I said, Jim, you've pretty much made yourself irrelevant so there's really no need to respond further.

Gerry

Paula Begley
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Closed for obvious reasons.

Sheesh.

Paula