PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Cali

Worrgamesguy
08-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't bring a rod. I should have :mad:

I flew out to San Jose to visit my aunt. We stayed in their house for a day or two, and then drove about 6 hours above San Jose to a place called Mendocino. We drove through a park that looked an awful like the Smokies, except surrounded by Redwoods. I noticed a river next to the road, and immediately knew there was trout in it.

When we got to the beach house, we took a couple trips to the beach, and to the river. I got on my BlackBerry and typed in "Navarro River" to find out what it held. During the winter, they have steelhead runs, and in the upper river is rainbows. I didn't take any pictures of the river, but it didn't look like good water. It had a lot of growth (algae, not weed beds), but it was close to the mouth of the river going into the Pacific.

We also took a walk on the Fern Valley trail in the Van Damme park, and there was a small mountain stream next to the trail. I kept straining to find fish, and I saw this guy hiding next to the log:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Worrgamesguy/DSCI0039.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Worrgamesguy/DSCI0040.jpg

Pretty sure it was a cutty... But in the 2 1/2 miles we walked along the river, I only saw 3 fish, and he was the biggest at about 8". The other two were about 3-4". I regretted not bringing fishing gear :frown:

Pictures can tell the story better than I can, so I'll work on getting them up.

BlueRaiderFan
08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice Trey! I love hearing about new places. It's great that you found anything since you were in completely new territory.

Carolina Boy
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Dude if you ever go anywhere again for goodness sake check it out and BRING YOUR GEAR! All fish eat so if there any fish you can well refer to the signature below!

Worrgamesguy
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Nice Trey! I love hearing about new places. It's great that you found anything since you were in completely new territory.

It was very pretty. But I was really interested in the Navarro, it looked like the water got a lot better a couple miles from the mouth of the river.

Dude if you ever go anywhere again for goodness sake check it out and BRING YOUR GEAR! All fish eat so if there any fish you can well refer to the signature below!

Ya think I didn't figure that out the hard way? :frown:

Carolina Boy
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I hear ya bro, at least some trophy didn't swim up and wack a natural in front of ya though, it can always be worse!

Worrgamesguy
08-25-2009, 01:17 AM
I watched him for about 5 minutes, and he did nothing more than swim. No side to side movement whatsoever, no eating subsurface insects.

Carolina Boy
08-25-2009, 07:23 AM
But you were in cali "bra"....everythings is chillin out there!

Worrgamesguy
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Haha I wasn't in SoCal. There were no surfers, thank god. My IQ drops 20 points around them.