PDA

View Full Version : Sunday on the Caney

BlueRaiderFan
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Threw some hopper and dragon fly patters. Caught a few, but nothing of any size. Changed to a Dark Hendrickson with black midge dropper and caught a few more. Nothing special.

BlueRaiderFan
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Kerplunker Knottingham was his name. Well, it should have been. Why did I ever, in my fish oriented mind, think that it would be a good idea to take a friend from work to the river, on a perfectly good Sunday and teach him to fly fish? How can I call that fly fishing? It was reminiscent of a rug weaving loom gone mad and intent on killing the operator! Iíve never seen so many knots in my life and these were the unintentional kind. At one point, I think he had set a world record for number of birds nest in one day of fly fishing. How many times can I tell you that your back cast is too long, that your tempo is weak and not to use your wrist too much? It was my fault for tying a hopper on for him. It was just too much on the first day. It was only slightly better with a small dry. Actually, it was my fault for inviting him in the first place. Do we really want one more fly fisherman on the river? He did manage to almost get one fish to hand, so the day wasnít a complete waste. I guess it could have been worse; I could have been at home doing chores that would be best left for another day.

bigpopper
08-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the post Blue! I needed a good chuckle at the story of Kerplunker knottingham ;). It reminds me of when I started fly fishing and was the same way, except I didnt have anyone to instruct me. That was good and bad, good that no one saw how bad i was and bad in the sense that i picked up bad habbits that im still breaking, thanks to fishing buddies as yourself and others. Thanks again for a lifetime of great great memories.

BlueRaiderFan
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks BP. Man, I lost two new leaders and about 50ft of tippet to that guy! He's a good kid though and he even got one on the line. I love to introduce people to the sport, even if they don't stick with it, at least they understand why I am so protective of our rivers. Now I have to get the nephew out and teach him to fly fish, if I can get him away from the girls long enough.