PDA

View Full Version : Two Slain in Virginia Campground

BlueRaiderFan
08-29-2009, 04:00 PM
This is why I carry a weapon:

http://news.aol.com/article/virginia-tech-students-found-slain/643888?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews. aol.com%2Farticle%2Fvirginia-tech-students-found-slain%2F643888

Hatchie Dawg
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I had a gun with me during my short camping trip in the Park.

I had my daughter with me. I won't take that kind of chance without one.

flyman
08-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Sad to see things like this. The scary thing is this person is still out there somewhere. It's not just the lives that were taken, think of the people that will be forever changed because of this. I'm praying for them and that someone gets caught soon, or better yet crosses paths with the wrong person. Perhaps someone that could inflict some "on site justice" and save the cost of a trial.

jeffnles1
08-29-2009, 06:56 PM
As much as I detest violence of any nature, I do carry a firearm with me everywhere it is legal to do so. I have the proper concealed carry permits and am very well trained in their use (over 150,000 rounds fired). I pray that there will never come a time when I am ever called upon to shoot at anything more sinister than a piece of paper hanging up on a formal target range.

I'm so sorry to hear about those students and will pray for their families.

Jeff

sammcdonald
08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
i really don't like you people that say "those rules are not for me"...stay out of the park if ya can't play by the rules....and that's you dawg

BlueRaiderFan
08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought you could carry with a permit now?

tire guy
08-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Blue, that does not take efdfect until Feb. 2010.

silvercreek
08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Feb. 22, 2010 to be exact. Until then you are in violation of federal law. Does anyone know for sure about a Tennessee carry permit holder carrying in the Cherokee National Forest? I emailed them a couple of months ago on this question, but no one ever replied.With the passage of the Tennssee right to carry in parks it may be legal, but I have seen nothing spe3cifically applicable tothe National Forest which are not governed by the Park Service.

BlueRaiderFan
08-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid I will violate the law to protect my family. If I get busted, I pay the price and that's on me. I'm an adult and can make that decision. I ride without my seatbelt sometimes too. Again, my business and it's on me if I get caught. I'd rather be wrong than dead.

Hatchie Dawg
08-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I look at it as the most basic of responsibilities to protect those that are dear to me.

It is an obligation that goes well beyond any law and one that I am quite comfortable with.

rivergal
08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I thought the rule was don't ask, don't tell.

pineman19
08-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Think that applies to another touchy issue Rivergal:rolleyes:

mora521
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Hatchie Dawg you articulated very well your reason for going armed in the park.Shame on the park employee who hates people who protect their loved ones,his post read like the bleat of a whining sheep.

Rebelsoul
08-31-2009, 10:41 AM
"I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"............author unknown....presumed to be alive....;)

Rules???
I thought it was against park and national forest rules to have and consume alcoholic beverages.....we see how that rule is ignored,and I don't drink....but I watch plenty who do.
I saw plenty of it in the Tellico region this past weekend.And some of my neighbors were getting pretty wild.Maybe park workers and officials could crack down on that.
Self defense is my God given right.

rivergal
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/rivergalphotos/tellicotrout021.jpg

ttas67
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
you are allowed to drink in the park.

Crockett
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah i think you can drink at your campsite proper but cant take it (opened) out of there like walk around the campground with an open container.

Carlito
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Whether or not to carry a weapon in the park is a very personal issue for a lot of folks. Regardless of your position, it is just so sad that young couple was murdered. They were camping at a busy campground near the road, which to me equates to a more dangerous site than a backcountry location...

I don't ever carry a firearm, but when this sort of thing happens, I can understand the strong desire to protect family/friends/self.

Who here remembers the two young women that were murdered on the AT in Virginia's Shenandoa section? I believe it was in the early 90s. I could be wrong about the details, but I think they were in a backcountry shelter when it happened.

These things really make you question your safety, but I strongly believe that you can't live your life in fear.

Paula Begley
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
This post isn't about Park rules...it's about board rules...please play nicely. :smile:

Paula

MikeRob
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I am glad to see that people can legally carry thier sidearms in the park soon. Hopefully it will not recieve the flak that the Tennessee law has with "guns in parks." It is rediculious......... people just got to understand that people who would kill someone for no good reason or commit other gun violence most of the time don't have a carry permit. If you take the guns away from honest people it just makes it easier for criminals to do thier bidding. As for me, I don't carry a gun in the park, however I do have a knief that would make crocodile dundee proud. And the reason I carry it on my side is more becasue of the aggresive bears we have had recently than people.

I like the quote that someone else had though "i'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

mcfly
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Feb. 22, 2010 to be exact. Until then you are in violation of federal law. Does anyone know for sure about a Tennessee carry permit holder carrying in the Cherokee National Forest? I emailed them a couple of months ago on this question, but no one ever replied.With the passage of the Tennssee right to carry in parks it may be legal, but I have seen nothing spe3cifically applicable tothe National Forest which are not governed by the Park Service.

I'm 99% sure that you can. You can hunt in the national forest, or at least portions of it.

Ghost
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Good to know we've got thinking adults who can make responsible decisions regarding their personal-and family safety- on the boards. Personally, '..shall not be infringed' solves any 'rule' business to the contrary. [As if a free man 'needs' even that!]. Ghost

JohnH0802
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Ghost you said it perfectly....The 2nd amendment makes it perfectly clear.
JohnH0802

billyspey
10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
if you don't want to protect yours don't carry. but for me i care and i carry. i think everyone should be protected. i have a carry permit i travel all the time across this state and others,and i have carried for years. thank god i haven't had to pull a firearm on anyone. you never know. i'm sure you watch the news about the young couple who was car jacked raped and murdered here in knoxville. the young man was a neighbor of mine and i see just a little of what his mother and dad have gone threw. i bet they wished he had a firearm.

BlueRaiderFan
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I've had to lock and load on one guy (well about 4 guys) one time, outside of the military. I didn't even have time to get the car over (biker thugs in the middle of nowhere on my way to the U.P. with my wife), they saw me chamber a round in my .40 cal and hauled butt...and yes, I was absolutely serious about protecting my family. Apparently the one guy and his friends thought slamming on the brakes several times in front of my car was hilarious. They didn't think it was so funny when I chambered a round and started to pull over.

lauxier
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
i guess this incident shows where we are as a society,2 kids shot to death in the "secure" confines of a national park.They called their deaths"a random act of violence"which as good as says the criminal is socialogically not responsible which is to me about as immoral as you can get,it presumes the shooter criminal is "sick"and deserves lesser punishment if any at all.I will not be put in harms way by some loser,probably out of his mind on drugs etc.I think it's ok to pack,fact is it's better than ok,it's smart and in a sense moral because the sight of a firearm is,in its self a deterrant,that can and will,in many cases,give a murderer,no matter how intensely his mentality beckons him to do so,second thoughts about committing a "a random act of violence".

Jswitow
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Right there with you Lauxier, to say that someone should be treated with leniency because they are deranged is an oxymoron if ever there was one. You would have to be crazy to kill someone for no apparent reason. Our courts have been turned into three ringed circuses, and we are now paying for the spinelessness of too many of our judges. Originally (I thought) the carry permit was supposed to take effect in September of this year, what happened to that?
Blue Raider thank you for your service, where do you like to fish in the UP? We've not made it up there in 7 years now. Last time up I fished the Yellow Dog River (creek!) near Big Bay. Really want to fish the Escanaba sometime.
Best,
John

BlueRaiderFan
10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I've only fished off the dock in Ontonagon! lol Well, I did aso fish a bit on my father-in-laws beach on Superior. As far as my service, I talk a lot, but it was relatively easy. These kids that are over in Afghanistan right now are the real heros. I wish I could join them. I'm still young enough and would go back in as an E5, but my wife would leave me.

Rebelsoul
10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I wonder if they caught the person(s) who killed those kids.
Like always,the news fades away and when someone is caught,it doesn't make much of a splash....does anyone know?

Trout Surveyor
10-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!