PDA

View Full Version : Taking my 4-yr old son fishing for the first time

dry fly
08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Want to take my son fishing soon. He's been begging to go with me lately and I think its time to introduce to him to fishing.

I want to take him to a trout farm or fishing rodeo or some other place where he can dunk some corn and be guranteed to catch a bunch of fish the first time I take him.

What is around the Knoxville area around like that?

Thanks

rivergal
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
The Alcoa duck pond is a good place for children to fish, but there are no trout.

dry fly
08-29-2009, 07:21 PM
The Alcoa duck pond is a good place for children to fish, but there are no trout.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that it doesn't have to be trout...just some place where he and I can have fun together.

rivergal
08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
TWRA - Free Fishing Day Photos - Alcoa Duck Pond (http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FreeFishingDayPhotoGallery_TWRA/TWRAFreeFishingDayPhotoGallery.htm)

Here are some photos of kids fishing at the Alcoa duck pond.

chad134
08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
if you know where the marina is above Ft Loudon Dam you go past it like you are going to calhouns. there is a small park just past the calhouns. stop at the shell station and buy crickets and the blue gill will jump in you hands....sometimes small bass:redface:

Carlito
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Doesn't the Cross Eyed Cricket stock trout in their pond?

Grannyknot
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Doesn't the Cross Eyed Cricket stock trout in their pond?

I believe that place may have closed down, but, early on a saturday morning during stocking season, you would think the Tellico River was the next best thing.

Jim Casada
09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Grannyknot--That's one of those times and places where you need to bring your own rock if you want one to stand on, but the worst I've seen is on N. C. delayed harvest streams on Armageddon Day (when it goes from catch-and-release, artificials only to anything goes). Talk about a zoo. Another reason I tend to be a misanthrope when it comes to fly fishing or, as my wife puts it on such matters: "When you die your tombstone will read 'Jim Casada hated people.'" Of course she's wrong on at least two points. I won't have a tombstone because ashes from cremation can help balance acidic streams, and I don't really hate people. It's just than when fishing is involved I like them in very small doses, with the ideal dose being a day when I see another angler when I return to my truck. To me, although I have a couple of cherished fishing buddies, fly fishing at its ultimate best is a one-many or one-woman game. Jim Casada

Carlito
09-01-2009, 01:26 PM
To me, although I have a couple of cherished fishing buddies, fly fishing at its ultimate best is a one-many or one-woman game. Jim Casada

Isn't it ironic? For me, the experience of fishing alone is very rich, but something is lost without someone to share it with.

Rebelsoul
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
First of all,it's great to take your son out to fish!
At Tellico this past Sat. I saw a woman who had her granddaughter,(about 4 also), with her and the little kid had a rod and was very enthusiastic,she was really cute.
But like Jim said,you just about needed your own rock,and me being a natural born loner,I had to find a secluded small stream to get away.
I deal with the public everyday...I go hiking and fishing and camping to get away from them.
I've told my grown sons,who have other pursuits in life,that if I kick the bucket in the wilderness and they only find my bones...if they even find that,I died where I wanted to be.

rivergal
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
So, it was you who was fishing in my spot Saturday! I had to move to
another one of my spots, and there was a fisherman there with Oregon tags!
Like Jim said, "Bring your own rock!"

Rebelsoul
09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
So, it was you who was fishing in my spot Saturday! I had to move to
another one of my spots, and there was a fisherman there with Oregon tags!
Like Jim said, "Bring your own rock!"
Not me ...I'm a Tennessean!
I was the guy who was at the campground next to my tent,when the lady pulled up in a red truck with the cute little girl....was that you rivergal??

rivergal
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
No, I was that feeble old lady who was eating a baloney sandwich at Walnut Grove picnic table while my husband cleaned the fish.

Skipjack
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Reminds me of when I took my son and daughter fishing with me for the first time. You will never forget those memories. Here is a link to a list of places all over Tennessee you can go and catch everything from catfish to trout. Go and enjoy.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/pond/FeePonds.html

Rebelsoul
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
No, I was that feeble old lady who was eating a baloney sandwich at Walnut Grove picnic table while my husband cleaned the fish.
I stopped at that restroom on Thurs. at Walnut Grove when it was pouring rain and it was the worst smelling outhouse I have ever been in!
You must have not gone in there before you ate or else you would have lost your appetite.:frown:
How many fish did y'all catch?

rivergal
09-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I prefer to visit the restroom facilities at the Tellico Plains visitor center, or Sloan's Market in Vonore which opens around 5 a. m. I caught one small fish, he caught two.