PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Alabama

Scott Spencer
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
I wanted my first to be an introduction so here I am, from Pelham, Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham. As you can see by my username I am Scott Spencer. I am a banker by profession but my true love is fly fishing, hunting, and photography.

I fly fished as a teen but got away from it in my 20's & 30's. I have been going full bore with it since this spring and have now come to realize that fly fishing is my true passion.

I've never fished the Smokies but look forward to it one day. I fished the Clinch River a little over a week ago and had a wonderful time. I caught my first ever Brookie, my first ever Brown, and my best trout to date...a 17" rainbow. A special thank you to the guys at LRFS as I bought some goodies while visiting there and they had some pretty good advice for me as well!!

Better stop for now as no one will read this if it gets too long. :smile:

Tight lines everyone!

Jim Casada
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Scott--Welcome, and let me assure you that when you make a pilgrimage from Birmingham, at the very southernmost tip of the Appalachians, to the Smokies you are moving up not only in terms of altitude but when it comes to beauty as well. Jim Casada

Scott Spencer
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Thank you, Jim! I definitely agree on the beauty part! My wife and I love the mountains whether they be the Appalachians or the Rockies in Colorado. We only have one stream capable of supporting trout year round but, unfortunately, the state of Alabama will only stock Rainbow and won't even help us improve the habitat of the tailwater (Sipsey River).

By the way, I can't wait to get a copy of your book.

gmreeves
09-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey Scott! It is good to see you over here. There is plenty of info for your trips to TN and a great group of people.

rivergal
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome, I have read some good things about your free flowing Cahaba River.

flyred06
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
welcome. glad to have you.