PDA

View Full Version : bear vs. vehicle

knucklehead
09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I was taking a friend to the UT med center today (8-31) from wears valley going through townsend and into maryville. in between townsend and maryville, on a 2 lane stretch, we encountered an unfamiliar scene: a bear had gotten hit by a vehicle. We saw the bear lying in the road, about 3 or 4 minutes later, the bear got up, got out of the road and climbed half way up a tree on the river side of the road. One of the biggest bears I've ever seen. any one know more info on incident?

Kermit
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Yep, saw it this morning on the news......

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=97462&catid=2

silvercreek
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
A couple of years ago a bear got hit on I-40 around Cookeville, TN. Apparently they are making a comeback on the Plateau. Imagine tooling down the interstate when a bear comes out in front of you!

Rebelsoul
09-01-2009, 08:57 AM
About 20 years ago or more I saw some game wardens from Ark. with a black bear in a cage in the back of a truck parked on S.Main St. in Dickson Tn.:confused:
I went over to talk and they were meeting a couple of game guys from S.C. to transfer the bear so they could release it in S.C.
The guys from Ark. said that their release program had been so sucessful that the bears had made a good comeback.
I've always wondered if the S.C. bears had been becoming plentiful somewhere as a result.
And if the bears were around here in the middle part of TN....heaven help them,we have some of the worst drivers anywhere.

Stonefly
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
We had some posts last summer about a bear that was seen at Betty's on the Caney. I think the conclusion was it had to have traveled from east Tennessee somewhere, don't think there is any population of 'em in middle Tenn.

sb

Rebelsoul
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
There have been several sightings of black bears in Middle Tn. but they have been few and far between.One was on the Nashville news earlier this year.
I have had about 3 friends who were reliable who spotted a bear at different times over 50 years or so....they were guys who I knew were telling the truth.
I have been roaming the woods in backcountry places all my life in Middle Tn. and have never seen anything that could have been a black bear.
It sure makes you wonder how far one would actually roam.

BlueRaiderFan
09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I remember some guys next door hunting black bear in Middle Tennessee when I was a kid back in the mid 70's.

wm1miller
09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Three bears are thought to be at the South Cumberland State Park near Monteagle, TN.
See details at: http://www.friendsofscsra.org/email-newsletters/email-news-august-15-2009.htm

William

Grumpy
09-03-2009, 06:39 AM
They have tried to reintroduce black bears in Big South Fork, hasn't worked to well. A few years back a private contractor hauling bears fro Ark to Mexico figured he could make more money by dumping them west of Nashville:eek:

Grumpy

Carlito
09-03-2009, 09:21 AM
They have tried to reintroduce black bears in Big South Fork, hasn't worked to well. A few years back a private contractor hauling bears fro Ark to Mexico figured he could make more money by dumping them west of Nashville:eek:

Grumpy

I'd wager those bears in the BSF are about eat up with ticks and chiggers by now!

flyman
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Good news, the bear has been found and he is OK. He has admitted fault in the accident and has agreed to pay for the other motorist's motorcycle. He has been cited by local police for failure to yield right of way and has an Oct 12 court date.

Rebelsoul
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Grumpy
One of the friends I talked about who saw one,was in the Bucksnort area west of Nashville near Buffalo river on some timber company land.
This was around 6 years ago I guess.The guy was on a 4wheeler coming out from deer hunting just before dark and the bear was sitting in the path right in front of him.

BlueRaiderFan
09-03-2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4

JoeFred
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Good news, the bear has been found and he is OK. He has admitted fault in the accident and has agreed to pay for the other motorist's motorcycle. He has been cited by local police for failure to yield right of way and has an Oct 12 court date.

Hmmm... Motorcycle strikes bear... Are there getting to be too many?:cool:

Kermit
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Way to many motorcycles......what did that bear do to him?

I personally feel all the bikers should be relocated ...Florida maybe?

Im Just sayin......:cool:

Kermit
09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
JoeFred.....great maps also.

Thank you.

Ribbit............

Jim Casada
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
JoeFred--I understand that there has been some talk, among Park bigwigs, about doing something to control noise pollution from motorcycles. It is definitely a problem, and few things frost my grits more than being on a trail a mile or two from 441 or Little River Road and still being able to hear that noxious and unneeded noise. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

GrouseMan77
09-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Those loud pipes are the most annoying thing I have ever heard. I love getting out of the truck and having Joe Cool “open er up” right beside me because I have being doing the speed limit for a couple miles. I have had a couple motorcycles pass me in curves on Little River Road.

I can not decide which is worse; the guy with the “ape hangers” that has to be gassing it at every chance or the guy who has the semi loud pipes but can’t ride without listening to his radio.

Crockett
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah they should probably enact some sort of regulation restricting the noise level and handing out tickets to the real loud ones. They could easily say it disturbs the wildlife. They probably would ticket me if I walked throught the back country shouting thru a megaphone at the bears lol. You can still be "cool" and ride the loud ones through gatlinburg and rev it so everyone will look at ya but it ain't cool at all out in the park. The fad really reminds me of the loud car stereos with the big bass playing rap speakers that seemed to be prevelant in the 80's - 90's but have died off albeit not altogether. It is all about attracting attention to yourself. Not really the style of most fly fisherman I think. I think the ultra loud bike fad will die off too eventually.

rivergal
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I have lost count of the number of fatalities on the dragon. Fly fishing is a lot safer, and quieter.

Rebelsoul
09-11-2009, 08:48 AM
People like us who enjoy quiet hobbies and out of the way places are becoming a rarity I think.I have to get farther out all the time to get away from the noisemakers and that ain't as easy as it used to be because becoming an old geezer has a way of reminding you that walking for miles can get you "stove up".

JoeFred
09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Hmmm... Motorcycle strikes bear... Are there getting to be too many?:cool:

Ya know, I could have meant too many bears. ;)

JF

Jim Casada
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Rivergal--It's so bad on the Dragon's Tail, and so costly for medical support, that Swain and Graham counties are in a spitting match over who does what. The road (N. C. part of it) is in Swain County but it's much easier to reach from Robbinsville. They've had a swap-out agreement but so many bikers are getting killed and injured that costs are outrunning the amount Swain has paid to Graham. I actually hate to drive that road, and I've a big truck, because it seems inevitable at some point that fools on two wheels will be coming at you in your lane. I've seen increasing types of the same behavior on 441. Jim Casada

tjw37909
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Crockett, please don't telll the bikers to rev their rediculously loud Harleys in Gatlinburg haha. I am a police officer up there and am on bicycle patrol, and I HATE hearing people do that. I do my part to help with noise pollution by giving everyone that I see do that a little pink piece of paper that costs them a hundred dollars. Rod run this weekend will not be any better though. On second thought, it will be good for me because I am taking vacation time tonight and tomorrow is a normal day off for me. Be hard to hear them when I am about 6 miles from a paved road on Ramsay Prong in the morning.