PDA

View Full Version : Road Prong 8-25 My best day fishing so far in the park!

duckypaddler
09-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I have meant to post this earlier, but with my computer crashing (Windows update - felt like a MAC commercial), and newborn twins it has taken me a while.

It was a heavenly Smokies day full of solitude among some of the best fishing I have experienced. While this is my second trip to the Road Prong (I'll try to get a report up for that one also 8-6-09), but it was the first time I fished from the 3rd to 4th bridges. While I immediately get hung up in a tree within sight of the bridge for others to watch and was a bit embarrased as I had got anxious to fish and didn't look around. 2 flies and $3.50 later I tied up a new neversink with a BH rubberleg prince nymph as a dropper. This has been my standard Smokies set up that has been working well and keeps me from trying lots of different flies therefore spending more time fishing. I headed up the creek and immediatly had several misses. I saw some people and decided to head up out of trail sight which gave me a chance to sneak up. After stopping every 50 feet or so to get reaquainted with this awesome enviroment I would sneak my way up the river planning a route that hit the best casting spots. I'm learning it's better to be completely stealth and miss some small pockets of water than to fish every spot. I was soon rewarded with a nice Brookie.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=302

The fishing continued to be spectacular with my highest fish count yet in the mid thirties.

The scenery alone is worth the trip!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=303

I continued fishing and soon landed this monster 9 inch Brookie. If someone really doesn't believe me I can post a pic next to the tape.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=305

As I worked my way up to a nice waterfall I caught this monster rainbow in the large pool. It measured 10 inches and is the largest I have landed to date (in the park).

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=304

The colors on these Brookies are amazing. Here is a real pretty one I shot. I love the top fins

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=306

So as you can see it was one of those special Smokies days that I doubt I will ever forget. I am planning on fishing tomorrow, but unfortunately the Road Prong is CLOSED. I guess I'll have my 75th year celebration somewhere else in the Park. Anyone want to go?

Happy Fishing!
James

Scott H.
09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow!
Great fish. Absolutely incredible!

Scott

JohnH0802
09-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Great pictures and beautiful fish. You have me missing the mountains.

Carlito
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Nice work, Ducky. I love how pretty the fins are on the specs too :smile:

Rebelsoul
09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Beautiful fish!
Thanks for posting the pics,sitting here at work and looking at that makes me want to go so bad.
I've got to make the trip up to Road Prong.
After you told me where it was last week I found it on the map.
If I only look at the scenery,like you said it will be worth it.

dps260
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Why do you say Road Prong will be closed? Did you not just say you fished it? Is it closed some days and not others?

duckypaddler
09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Why do you say Road Prong will be closed? Did you not just say you fished it? Is it closed some days and not others?

They thought Obama might come so anywhere within a long distance rifle reach was closed for security. You can look at post labeled trail closure for more info.

Hopefully it will be open for the next 75 years. I went to Ramsey's Prong in Greenbrier instead and had a nice day full of wildlife. A mother bear and her cub decided to hike the same trail as me making me a bit weary as I headed deeper into the forest and trying to pass them. I also saw a skinny young buck with velvet antlers that allowed me to get about 5 yards from it. Ooh and I went fishing also. I'll write a post when I get the pics downloaded.

Dawgvet
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Great info. I was contemplating fishing Road Prong this weekend. Did you catch most on dries or nymphs? Did you fish early or late?
Thanks,
Jedidiah

duckypaddler
09-04-2009, 08:25 AM
I usually use a neversink caddis with some sort of BH prince as a dropper. I like using a 18 as a dropper, as it seems like it tangles more with with a size 14 or 16 dropper. Unlike most of the advice here I tend to fish the middle of the day. I live in Knoxville, and by the time I drop off the kids, drive to the mountains, hike in and fish it never still seems to be early. While I have had some excellent fishing at dusk, the wife prefers some help at night, and since she has usually been working all day and has no problem letting me fish (surely I would go insane w/o a once a week mountain fix), I do my best to keep her happy.

I think if you willing to hike in somewhere, the fishing is always good. If you go where 30 other poeple have been that day, then not so good.

I am now in my 2nd year of fishing in the park, and am finally catching on a regular basis. I tend to reread Byron hints for fishing in the Smokies ewvery few months as a good reminder of what to do.

duckypaddler
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I tend to catch a whole lot more on the nymph that the dry. As I was fishing Ramsey's on Wed the first 6 out of 7 of my first fish were caught on the dropper. Then as I got further upstream they started hitting the dry (just about the time I was wondering why people fish only drys).

While it is a PITA to get used to the double rig set up, I would not give it up since it's the reason I'm catching a whole lot more fish.

Good Luck,

James

kevin.hoyt
09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Ducky - I have fished Road Prong twice this summer and caught 30 fish the 1st time and 16 the 2nd time out. The Brookies are eager to hit flies & I also fish with "Never Sink Caddis/Beadhead Pheasant tail or Prince dropper (this set-up works well in Colorado as well). I believe I may have caught that same 10" rainbow on both of my outings (small pool on right 200' above the 2nd bridge). I am going to try and make another trip up there before Fall.