PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cosby/Gatlinburg

tjw37909
09-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone, I am glad to be on here. I live in Cosby, TN and work in Gatlinburg, TN. I started fly fishing in June 2009. I went to Cataloochee yesterday hoping for some browns on the Cataloochee and some brookies on Palmer, but I arrived to find that the elk are in rut, and the normally quiet Cataloochee Valley looked like downtown Gatlinburg on New Years Eve. Due to low water, kids in the water, people everywhere, and ,of course my lack of experience, I wound up with no fish after an hour. On the other hand, I saw two tiny bear cubs with their mother, some very large turkeys, and plenty of elk, including some very large bulls.

ninjaturtle
09-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone, I am glad to be on here. I live in Cosby, TN and work in Gatlinburg, TN. I started fly fishing in June 2009. I went to Cataloochee yesterday hoping for some browns on the Cataloochee and some brookies on Palmer, but I arrived to find that the elk are in rut, and the normally quiet Cataloochee Valley looked like downtown Gatlinburg on New Years Eve. Due to low water, kids in the water, people everywhere, and ,of course my lack of experience, I wound up with no fish after an hour. On the other hand, I saw two tiny bear cubs with their mother, some very large turkeys, and plenty of elk, including some very large bulls.
Welcome, tjw37909 I can relate to going to the river and running into some things you really can't do anything about. Where I am by the Clinch River it's TVA running the Generators hard right around the time I get off from work. We can only take what we get at times. It's good to have you here and looking forward to more information in the Gatinburg area. Roger.

Jim Casada
09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
twj37909--Welcome, and just in case you didn't realize it, you are living, to take the title poem from a book by a grand mountain poet, Leroy Sossamon, on "the backside of heaven." Trout at your beck and call all around, although obviously Cataloochee in bugling time was less than an ideal choice of a destination. If you want specks, just head up 441 to Walker Camp or Road Prong. Both are quite handy to you and require very little walking. Jim Casada

fearnofishbob
09-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm surprised I didn't bump into you I was on Palmer yesterday from 10am til 2pm. I didn't see anyone on the creek or trail. I fished an area about 3/10 mile above the Buggerman trail junction with the main trail. You could have been in the creek and I might have passed by. I caught several brooks and a few browns, no size to them probabaly had 2 keepers out of the whole bunch. Water is somewhat low and this doesn't help, it was more productive earlier in the spring and summer. ....tight lines.

tjw37909
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice. i have a lot to learn and am glad to get any advice i can. fearnofishbob, i just missed you at palmer. i got there about 4pm hoping the cooler evening air and the big clouds rolling in would help. that was of course before i found out about the crowd.

fearnofishbob
09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
tjw37909, please excuse me !!! I guess I was having a senior moment. You were on Palmer creek and I was on Caldwell Fork ------------NO WONDER I didn't see you.
Yes you are right there were alot of people there and I won't make the mistake of going there on a holiday weekend again...maybe we'll cross paths some day....Bob