PDA

View Full Version : Meigs Creek - A "Waste of Time"

kevin.hoyt
09-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I finally "bushwacked" my way up around Meigs Falls in hopes of finding a small - but vibrant back country stream to fish. All I found was low water, no trout and the banks of the stream "bulldozed" by wild hogs. "Too bad" this small stream area appears to have once been a nice place to get away and fish a small stream among the Rhodo and tall trees. Take my advice and skip this one! After I wasted about 2 hours I climbed back down and tried fishing up towards the sinks from the Meigs Creek confluence ... never had a strike during the next hour I wasted in this area. Fortunately I reverted back to the Townsend Y area and caught 6 nice Bows south of the parking lot bridge.

Carlito
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Bummer you spent so much time hiking in to no avail. Did you drive all the way in from Crossville?

David Knapp
09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
After I wasted about 2 hours I climbed back down and tried fishing up towards the sinks from the Meigs Creek confluence ... never had a strike during the next hour I wasted in this area.

Not too many fish around there...drought last year really did a number on the population and it won't be worth messing with for awhile...

flynut
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Is any time spent fishing...or in pursuit of fish...ever a waste of time??? Take it as a learning experience...at least you know where not to go next time you want to catch some fish!

Jswitow
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
That is a shame. I fished it once, must have been the year the park service opened it to fishing. Kind of small and tight for my taste, (I like to cast) but I did get a few nice brookies there. Another year or two of good water should put things back up to snuff. Did you take a water temp while there?

Chalk it up to learning.

Best,

John