PDA

View Full Version : Montana is everything I expected

fearnofishbob
09-06-2009, 09:07 PM
I just returned from a 10 day fishing trip to Montana. We stayed in the Ennis area and fished the Madison, Gallatin and the Ruby. We also fished the tailwater below Ennis lake.
All of my expectations were met, if you ever have an opportunity to fish Montana I highly recommend that you take advantage of it. We caught alot of fish and alot of big fish -the Madison produced several browns over 20" for us, the Gallatin several large rainbow and the Ruby above Ruby lake was incredible. The fish weren't large I think the largest was a 16" cutbow but we also caught grailing and rainbow. The Ruby is a small stream in the headwater but it gave us "plenty" of bang for our bucks.
If you ever plan a trip and need some pointer about places to stay, water to fish etc. drop me a not I'll be glad to share what I know about the area with you....tight lines

Skipjack
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I know this is a dream trip. How many days did you fish and did you use a guide on any of the outings? How much should I start saving for my wife and I to make a trip like this?

fearnofishbob
09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Skipjack, we flew out to Montana,left Asheville N.C. @ 6:30 am , arrived in Butte Mt. @2:30 pm drove to Ennis and we fished the Madison that afternoon. The day we came back we had to leave Ennis before daylight so we couldn't fish that day. In essence we fished 9 out of 10 days. We used a guide on one day when we floated the Madison, counting the guide fee, tip and flies we spent $500.00 split 2 ways. We rented a nice home from Chris Eaton with Eaton Outfitters.....10 nights for $1284.00 this we split 4 ways. We rented a car from Enterprise for 10 days (unlimited miles) for $513.00 split 2 ways. I estimated that I spent $1500.00 - 1800.00 total. I bought some gear that I needed for larger water/fish and that increased my cost somewhat. When you get a little closer to making your trip call me @828-627-6692 and I'll be glad to give you more details. The rivers that you want to fish will make a big difference in where you want to find accomidations Ennis vs. Sheridan/Twin Bridges.
I wouldn't go for less than 7 days...too many rivers to fish & sights to see...Let me know if I can help.............tight lines ....Bob

fearnofishbob
09-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Skipjack, we flew out to Montana,left Asheville N.C. @ 6:30 am , arrived in Butte Mt. @2:30 pm drove to Ennis and we fished the Madison that afternoon. The day we came back we had to leave Ennis before daylight so we couldn't fish that day. In essence we fished 9 out of 10 days. We used a guide on one day when we floated the Madison, counting the guide fee, tip and flies we spent $500.00 split 2 ways. We rented a nice home from Chris Eaton with Eaton Outfitters.....10 nights for $1284.00 this we split 4 ways. We rented a car from Enterprise for 10 days (unlimited miles) for $513.00 split 2 ways. I estimated that I spent $1500.00 - 1800.00 total. I bought some gear that I needed for larger water/fish and that increased my cost somewhat. When you get a little closer to making your trip call me @828-627-6692 and I'll be glad to give you more details. The rivers that you want to fish will make a big difference in where you want to find accomidations Ennis vs. Sheridan/Twin Bridges.
I wouldn't go for less than 7 days...too many rivers to fish & sights to see...Let me know if I can help.............tight lines ....Bob

Skipjack
09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info---I will give you a call before we go. My wife will not want to fish the entire time we are there but I suspect we will fish 4 to 5 days. Not a bad price for the 10 day trip.

fourx
09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Anyone interested in a good MT fishing deal should look at 4Rivers fishing co. in Twin Bridges MT.
They are offering 6 nites lodging, 5 days guided, and all meals for $1350!
Not bad when you price it out.
Oh yeah, they're unreal guides on unreal water out of an unreal town.

4X

fearnofishbob
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
4X, we tried to stay with 4Rivers when we went in August, but he couldn't put us in one cabin for the entire 10 day stay. We would have had to move from one cabin to another after 3 days and the another move on the last night so we decide to go to Ennis. I would go back to Twin Bridgse/ Sheridan the next trip because I like that location better than Ennis...really dependes on where one plans to fish. The package sound great and they are probably using it to promote fall business. ....tight lines

Bob

fourx
09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Bob, I'm headed out to Twin Bridges on Sun.
Typically there are a couple cold snaps at the end of sept. that trigger the elk bugling and the brown trout on a massive pre-spawn feeding frenzy. Well, the cold hasn't hit them hard yet so I could still be on the hopper-dropper style of fishing.
I too fished the upper ruby. Did anyone point out David Letterman's ranch to you on the way up there? I swear, the ruby river valley is the ULTIMATE sportsman's paradise. I saw massive deer herds and tons of other game not to mention the rivers.
That valley is the most utopic place I've ever been.
I'll let you know how the fishing was.

4X

fearnofishbob
09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
fourX, yes we did see David's ranch as well as Ted Turners.---must be nice !!
I'll never know. The fishing on the Ruby was terrific, rainbows,cutbows & grailing all in abundance. We didn't keep any, we're catch & release only. I believe the area is experiencing a cooling off and some weather changes.. a couple of days ago it was 94 in Bozeman. Are you going to fish the Beaverhead, Big Hole and any other streams while you are there ?? .........I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip and drop me a note when you get back.......Bob

fearnofishbob@gmail.com

fourx
09-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm hoping we fish the un-pressured LOWER Jefferson. It's not the most prolific part of a river but the browns grow up to be alligators down there.

4X