PDA

View Full Version : Are Knives allowed in the park?

Parzival
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I have a ka bar heavy bowie knife and am curious if I would be allowed to carry it backpacking/camping in the park?

Thanks

Jim Casada
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Parzival--In a word, yes, and let's hope that things never come to a pass where the outdoorsman cannot use what many consider the ultimate tool. Of course they are banned in schools and public places, yet as a boy I felt half naked without one (and still do, for that matter), and mumbltypeg was a favorite playground game among boys in the middle grades. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

tjw37909
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Not sure about NC, but TN law is you can not carry a knife with a blade over 4 and a half inches, but I am sure, especially with the bear activity that we have had this year, that a ranger will not say anything about a man carrying a survival tool/ knife. most of the rangers in my area do a little fly fishing and camping in their free time and would be very understanding.

silvercreek
09-07-2009, 04:02 PM
There is a clause in the TN code that references a defense to the charge of illegally possessing a weapon is that hte person was legally engaged in hunting, trapping an fishing. Hopefull the text will post.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/tn.txt

silvercreek
09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
As another consideration, while in the Smokys, you are in a national park, that muddles the rules in my mind as to state and federal law.

Parzival
09-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Ok so no knives with a blade longer then 4 inches?

silvercreek
09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, I attempted to check it out at the National park site. Looked all through the code which after 29 pages said nothing about weapons. Then tried to check it out elsewhere under camground rules and only found that "weapons" were prohibited. Oh I did find you can collect all kinds of fruit and mushrooms up to one pound per person. Someone had speculated about that in an earlier post. I guess you'll have to call the park.

tjw37909
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
did they change it to where you can gather fruit, mushrooms, and such but can not bring it out of the park?

Crockett
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
As with the bear spray thing sometimes we get too caught up in the details of the law instead of common sense. I have never heard of anyone getting stopped for a knife blade measurement in the smokies or fined for such. I have seen plenty of big knives over 4" hanging from belts and packs as well. I would say you would be fine with a machete or sword probably even in the campground as long as you aren't threatening someone with it the rangers could care less. Now if you do attack someone then they will probably throw the weapons charge in there against you along with all the other charges ;)

Parzival
09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
You would think the rules and regulations would be a bit more clear on issues such as this. I would hope that they wouldn't want people guessing.

silvercreek
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Hopefully this link will post. See page 5 and 6 Sec 2.1. You can gather these except within a distance of a trail. Sorry, no ramps can be picked.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/09-Compendium.pdf

Rebelsoul
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
My KaBar goes where I go and especially when I head out into the woods...

SWAMPUS
09-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Have the same knife.ALWAYS wear it when fishing in park.Never got a look from Ranger or anyone except when I forgot and wore it in Kroeger.Wondered why folks were staring at me!Still,no one said a word.I consider it a survival tool.I am too old,too fat,and haven't the lungs or legs to run.I shall stand my ground.Was fishing above the welcome farm on NC side and thigh deep when I heard thrashing on bank behind me.Something large.I turned to face whatever,unsheathed K-Bar,and was relieved and pleased,and somewhat chagrinned when mama elk and yearliing calf appeared.Thank God I had my nitro spray!

Parzival
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I emailed the park and got this response..

"Hello,
Knives such as Swiss Army knives or Gerber Tool types can be carried in the
national park. However, some knives are prohibited -- such as those with
large or stiletto blades. The regulations covering knives have some grey
areas that allow rangers leeway in interpreting the law based on the
situation at hand. So, if a camper has a hunting knife that he or she is
brandishing about and another camper complains to a ranger, the knife owner
may receive a citation. However if the knife owner is low-key and acts
responsibly, that same knife might not be a problem.
Generally speaking, if the blade is longer than 6", leave it at home."

Carlito
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Not sure about NC, but TN law is you can not carry a knife with a blade over 4 and a half inches, but I am sure, especially with the bear activity that we have had this year, that a ranger will not say anything about a man carrying a survival tool/ knife. most of the rangers in my area do a little fly fishing and camping in their free time and would be very understanding.

If you read the Tennessee Code Annotated, it is in fact illegal to carry a knife w/ a blade over 4". HOWEVER, there are clauses in the code specifying instances in which it is legal to carry a larger blade, such as when you are hunting/camping.

Basically what they are saying is that your pocket knife should have a blade less than 4", but the law does not straight forbid carrying a knife over 4". Like everything else, it probably just depends on the situation and the officer. I carry my Sealpup every time I am fishing or backpacking in the Park, and I am confident that it is reasonable to do so as long as you don't act like a moron.

Rebelsoul
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
The email from the park hit on a good point....being low key.
I have my KaBar on most of the time but sometimes when there's tourists and kids around I might just put the sheath down in my waistband in the lower back out of view until I'm out in the woods.
I got in the habit of doing that when I was at places hiking trails like Land Between the Lakes and Natchez Trace Pkwy.
I have noticed that it catches the eyes of some people....but not so much as the machete a guy had on his side at Holly Flats a couple of weeks ago.He unsheathed it while walking towards me...I asked him if he planned on hitting me with it,he looked surprised...and mumbled something....he would have been even more surprised if he had tried.
Now that was "brandishing".

Carlito
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
The email from the park hit on a good point....being low key.
I have my KaBar on most of the time but sometimes when there's tourists and kids around I might just put the sheath down in my waistband in the lower back out of view until I'm out in the woods.
I got in the habit of doing that when I was at places hiking trails like Land Between the Lakes and Natchez Trace Pkwy.
I have noticed that it catches the eyes of some people....but not so much as the machete a guy had on his side at Holly Flats a couple of weeks ago.He unsheathed it while walking towards me...I asked him if he planned on hitting me with it,he looked surprised...and mumbled something....he would have been even more surprised if he had tried.
Now that was "brandishing".

What a jerk. Like you even need a machete up there. It is a useful tool for splitting wood to help start a fire, but there is no other reason to carry one and certainly no reason to unsheath it while passing someone on the trail.