PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting my trip!

flyguys
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Coming out in the third week of October! Can't wait! Can anyone fill me in on some pointers about what type of water to look for in October? What about water temps? Fishing high or low elevations? Will be out for about a week with ALL THE EXTENDED FAMILY so perhaps an isolated spot is what I should look for?:rolleyes: Thanks for any and all info! flyguys.

jross
09-11-2009, 08:24 AM
come one, give this feller some advice!! :biggrin:

Because I'm finally getting down there a week later. So I'll vicariously cyber scout off of his replies!;)

Rog 1
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
October is generally a dry season except for the rain brought in by the cold fronts that start dropping down...the water will be cooler so the lower elevations will be fishing better than in the warmer months....by this time the leaves will be turning and the peepers will be out in full force....with the leaves come trouble....you will be fighting for space on the water and they will cover the rocks and stream beds making wading harder than it usually is...if you are looking for some solitude I would hike up above Elkmont...usually enough water there and there are some big browns caught up there this time of year...check the fishing report for appropriate flies....I have still had some great days fishing dries like Stimulators, EHCs and Wulff patterns at this time...weather can be hit or miss depending on front movements.

flyguys
09-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info rog 1! Can't wait to get out there! We went above tremont about 2 years ago; really low water. Hopefully the water levels are back to normal? Maybe with some luck I'll be able to post a picture of my first smoky mountain trout! Wish us luck, flyguys.

nvr2L8
09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
flyguys,

Conventional wisdom is that you begin using orange patterns in the fall (Orange Palmers, Orange Stimulators). Any stream you would fish all summer is fair game for October. I still prefer the higher elevation streams off Highway 441 towards Newfound Gap but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I love Oct fishing,if the water is up due to a low pressure system dumping a ton of rain don't fret, I actually like fishing the best when the water has been hi and murky and starts receding and still has a stain to it it. that to me means BIG BROWNS. But you gotta understand whats goin on with em. First of all they got big by being really smart, that said they also got big cuz they eat most anything. So think big nasty nymphs. You got a few things on your side too, You know they are a ambush oriented animal like a largemouth, They get big by using less energy by waiting and hammering everything that comes there way. When the water is up they are almost always along the banks cuts so pound the banks. Gotta look for slow spots where the current isn't whippin they want to be able to hang out using little to no energy and they wait for stuff to helplessly wash their way. Plus on the falling water they are hungry, remember do to their vision they feed heavily at night so hit it early and late in the day.

Rog 1
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Flyguys....Trust that you know that Tremont above the Cascades is now closed to fishing....if you are looking to catch your first trout in the Park there are several places you would have a good chance at achieving this goal....during the week you might want to try Anthony's Creek in the picnic area at Cades Cove....at Elkmont try Jakes Creek from where it enters the LR in the campground as high as you want to walk...Walker Camp Prong above the Chimneys Trailhead where the stream comes back to the road...or Porters Creek in Greenbrier...here park at the trailhead and walk back down toward the bridge to Ramsey Cascade....all of these places are easy to get to and don't require much casting distances....drop any kind of bushy fly into the pocket water and wait for the strike.

flyguys
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
How far above Tremont are the cascades?

nvr2L8
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Actually above the metal footbridge at the turnaround on Middle Prong (between there and the Cascades) is also closed.

The turnaround is a couple of miles above the Tremont Institute. Just be sure you don't fish above there. There will be a sign suspended from a chain across the stream so it should be obvious where to stop.

tlshealy
09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
This is the sign on the left side of the bridge above Tremont, you can't go to the left trail to fish but if you go to the right you can fish Thunderhead and on up to Sam's Creek.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wldvmb.jpg

Tad

flyguys
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks for the info, guys. as a matter of fact, we fished thunderhead last time, but no fish. oh well, maybe this time. All i knoow is my son and i really enjoy our time in the streams, and that is half of the reason for the trip. In case you are wondering, yes he is beating me in the catching game! flyguys

nvr2L8
09-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Thunderhead is one of the toughest places I've fished. Catches are few and far between. It's some of the best looking water but with sparse action. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one.

Jim Casada
09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Flyguys--You don't indicate where your base of operations will be. That can make quite a difference. I've looked at previous responses and they seem for the most part to assume you'll be in the Tremont area. Maybe I missed something aobut where you will be staying.
Whatever the case, I would recommend trying to spend much of the time on prime brown trout water--Little River, Middle Prong on Tenn. side, Luftee, Deep Creek, Forney on N. C. side. As Carolina Boy, I believe it was, says, this is big brown time. They are on the move, there's the chance of some sight fishing, and there's probably no better time of year to make a meaningful connection with a bruiser

If waters are low, look for trout, especially browns, just where the outflow from one pool drops into the next in stiller water. Similarly, look for fish "stacked up" in big, deep pools as they decide, seemingly almost like salmon, to rest a bit before continuing their spawning runs.

One other thought, specks have brilliant color at this time of year, and good places for them include Walker Camp Prong and Road Prong on the Tenn. side and upper Straight Fork or Kanati Fork on the N. C. (all these are readily accessible).

It's a beautiful time of year as a rule.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

flyguys
09-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Jim, I should have said a little bit about where we will be staying. We will be staying in a cabin in Sterling Mountain resort, with all the family, all ten of us!:eek: My son and I are the only ones fishing. I'm not too familiar with the mileages, just the general directions around the area. I think we will be concentrating on the Tn. side of the park. Maybe fish in Tremont, Elkmont, Greenbriar areas? Maybe above the Metcalf bottom area? Any thoughts on any one of these areas over the others? Thanks for all the info! flyguys.

jross
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
good luck flyguys...it's still aways off but when are you going to be there? I'll be down on 24th w/e. Maybe I'll see ya'll out on the water.

JoeFred
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
My son and I hope to fish Sam's Creek 10/17, when the Vols have an open date. Hopefully by then, that is of more significance than now :frown:.

Good look to all.

JF

Carolina Boy
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Well at least you will know they won't lose that weekend! Quarterback looks good though? :eek:

flyguys
09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
jross, my family and I willbe out oct. 14-18. hopefully have some good weather, and even better fishing:rolleyes: Thanks again guys for all the info!

jross
09-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I'll miss you by one weekend....I'm hoping for good weather too.

for those in the know....What happens if it we get a cold snap while we're in the smokies? Nymph deeper and bundle up?

Oh btw flyguys, someone mention Anthony Creek. That little creek is so cool. I went there this spring break...Got outta the car at the picnic area and thought "is this a joke? where's the creek!" but just started fishing and had a ball! fish are in there. It might be a good place to go if some non-fishers wanna tag along and look at the cove or cheer you on from the sidelines...

Carolina Boy
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Anthony's creek is the first place i ever caught a fish in the park, dangerous though after I got that lil guy I was completely addicted. So now near a decade later and a ton of fish all over the world with sore lips I can happily say I am more consumed with chasing fins with feathers than ever and it all started on that litlle creek, enjoy it!

Rog 1
09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
As for the cold snaps...my suggestion is to sleep in a little later and just wait for the sun to hit the water and then fish on as usual....it has got to get really cold to effect the water long term...the fish are generally too busy trying to eat to notice and it doesn't stay cold for that long.

flyguys
09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
jross or carolinaboy, How does anthony creek fish in the middle of October? Any thoughts on this creek, anyone?? flyguys

Carolina Boy
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Well i mean it is a small creek, I am no authority on it by any means but i mean i would think it would be alright but my brain kinda looks decent size lower elevated water in spring, a bit higher in the summer, and then lower bigger water in the fall. I mean you'll get some fish there I am sure but man how can you ignore big brown water in the fall in the park, has to be your best bet at a real trophy, adn i have been luck to stick a few and i just get fired up around the fall, it's just different, to me it kinda follows the temperature, when the spring comes i am itchin to get outside and fish when my guides don't freeze up, although the tailwaters can be Freakin Awesome when it is spittin snow and miserable, gosh I just love it all, so the fish get all excited as it warms and your hangin out watchin a bunch of fish rise and you know whatever you catch a bunch it's fun it can be relaxing and this feeling lasts throught the summer and it's great. But then you get that hint of fall in the air, the nights get crisp and leaves start changin, man to me that means it is time to put away the thoughts of a zillion fish rising to everything and really start thinking about the game and the season at hand. BIG BROWNS. I am a huge fan of a 4 inch Spec as much as anyone but stick a 20 inch brown in the park and from my view you have really arrived. i by no means want to sound cocky, heck I literally spent a good year trying to catch "A" fish in the park when i started many moons ago talk about frustrating. So to bring it back around, depending on water levels of course, in mid October i am thinkin bigger lower elevation water, because browns are in the elevation (mixed on both ends of course) between where smallies stop and bows begin. from there i am think large bugs, love em, big ol nasty bead headprince nymph with rubber leds everywhere lot of lead. I am looking for lazy spots where the big boys hang to ambush, be on the bank when it is still dark out ready to hit it when it's legal the brown boys/girls can see better in low light than there counterparts and they feel more confidant when it ain't hi noon, catch up on sleep then, and back again the last few hours of the day till no longer legal to fish. This kinda fishing is more a hunt, I mean think about it how many fish would you trade for a true trophy park fish? despite the fact that specs are the only true native, and they aren't even really trout (char) you stick a really big park brown you are talking about a century of passed down species intelligence, man only the smart ones get big enough to breed so there ain't no big "D" students out there! I know I got long winded but i really dig the fall brownfishing, my focus changes and i let up on myself when it comes to the manner in which i evaluate my performance on the water from a pure numbers standpoint. I guess it kinda mirrors the pursuit of steelhead or permit, lots of persistance but the reward is worth it trust me. When i do talk about my experiences fishing the park my first thoughts are of the golden colored hook jawed browns, not the fifteenth bow or spec in a 30 fish day back in... when was that? I can tell you exactly when and where I was lucky enought to hold a few really big browns, and then get to watch them swim away healthy, albeit with a soar lip, to make more future beasts! This is gonna be my longest post but i just really get fired up about this kind of fishing, and why wouldn't you browns get bigger than all the other guys in the park for one reason, they eat everything! I have already talked way to much but there is still a few beers left in cooler so whatever! :eek: OK so when you look at the appalachian mountains they are soft and rounded due to their extremely old age versus the rockies out west that are young and jagged as can be. So the erosion over zillions of years has worn away a great deal of the nutirents and minerals that errode into the streams. SO due to this the fish in the park that have grown the biggest are the browns because they eat stuff that has exo-skeletons, crawfish and sculpins and many other small fish that got bones etc.. so they aren't just sipping bwo's and micro midges, they are hammering freaking everything HA i love it. To me they give away a lot of their tendancies if you as the anger pay attention. Big fat Lazy Monsters that eat everything pretty much sums it up. So after writing a small book I would say that i would not fish A-Creek in Mid-late Oct. wait check that, fish it during the middle of the day on your trip! Get on the water early as possible on bigger water and scout spots for the evening session, then A-creek if you want mid day and back in evening places that looked good from the early am. Bet that was a bit more of an answer than expected! Flyguys If you want to chat more about patterns etc shoot me an email bmurphy055@gmail.com, good luck hope you have a great trip now i gotta go pack and hook up skiff the for a redfish trip/tourney this weekend! which just got me thinking and i looked something up for ya, mid Oct is new moon on Oct 18th which is great for you,Dark moon!!! Target browns at first & last light! Good luck Stick em!

flyguys
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
carolina boy, It seems that I should be targeting browns. I hope we each catch a quality fish. Thanks for all the info! Hopefullt we'll be able to post a few pictures on the forum. As usual i'm sure my son will outfish me.:rolleyes:

Carolina Boy
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Well good luck, nothing makes me happier than when my Dad outfishes me! I am down here back home in SC when I get back to NC I'll post a pic of a redfish I got to meet this am!

jross
09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I've never fished for trout (anywhere especially the smokies) in the fall. Heck, even back here in southern Indiana I usually go for the gun more than the rod in the fall! But after Carolina Boy's passion filled speech I'm thinking more about browns now! If I get a day by myself to go after them, then I'll go big fish hunting....but if I got the family in tow, then I'd consider Anthony...but then again....I don't like crowds or traffic, so the Cove is probably a bad idea for my anti-social side!!:biggrin:

flyguys
09-18-2009, 03:50 PM
jross, I know how you feel!! After working in the public arena for 20+ years, I need a little alone time and a smoky stream is the perfect place! In fact I already have a retirement shirt picked out, It reads " Retired retail worker, I don't work here, leave me the %$@!*& ALONE!:biggrin: