PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA

kflies
09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi all,
Heading down from eastern PA and stopping in Raliegh to pick up my fiance- Then, on 9/13, we're driving out to fish the park and stay at the Dancing Bear lodge.
Any recommendations on streams we shouldn't miss? The forum and the LRO fishing report has already been helpful in terms of flies but any other suggestions would also be appreciated. I fished the park back in '91 with a guide by the name of Bobby Shults and I remember flies with yellow as working well. I focused on the Pigeon that trip.
Up here in PA I'm lucky to be near the limestones of the Lehigh Valley, the Pocono Mountain streams and the outstanding tailwaters of the Delaware system. Despite having this great and varied fishing nearby, I'm really looking forward to fishing the GSM streams again. The last few yrs we've gotten out to fish around Asheville and Boone but I've been dying to fish TN again!
I'm also a guide and commercial tyer up here so if any one is ever heading up here to fish, just give me a yell and I'll be glad to give you whatever info I can.
Best, Ken Mead

Carolina Boy
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Yea from what i have read and listening to talks with Joe Humphries at expo's you are in a great area, I would really love to head up there sometime. I live west of Asheville so it's stuff you have fished, I would check out the stream level data this one is little river
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=03497300

Luffte
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03512000

Cataloochee
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03460000

You can access the sites through the LRO fishing report under stream conditions, this will tell you water levels because where one river is blown out anouther may be just right? We are getting some rain now and it seems to be a chance of rain while you are here. Yellow on dries is always good, green weenies are killing it still, not the most imaginative pattern but effective. Where is Dancing Bear lodge? Tight Lines

kflies
09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks CB.
Dancing Bear is right outside the park at Townsend on the Little River.
Ken

Hugh Hartsell
09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello Ken,
A big welcome to you from a fellow Smokies guide and commercial fly tier. You will really love Dancing Bear Lodge and be sure to get to Little River Outfitters, which will be just up the highway from where you will be staying. Try both sides of the Park if you have the time and hopefully we'll run into each other while you are here.
Hugh

Carolina Boy
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Haha thats funny, I have only driven by the "dancing bear" a million times never noticed, I guess it is that "I'm going to the mountains!" focus. OK so I would pound the little river, and if it is up i would fish tremont or hike up past Elkmont. Shoot go to LRO and they'll put ya on the fish. I tell you this I have seen first hand big trout race to HAMMER a green weenie! I feel that this pattern is more respectful than let say the spoonfly from the coast, but ya know what as long rodders we tend to like making the whole ting difficult and i am not gonna feel bad about working a pattern that slays em! just tie a loop or long tail in that weenie and watch em tear it up!

kflies
09-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input, and yes CB, I have some Green Weenies already to go! In the mid 80's I used to tie small (size #14 TMC 2487) San Juan worms in Fl chartreuse and pink and would use them to sight fish on our local spring creeks so I have some experience fishing flies that aren't always deemed respectable.....

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Well i would rather catch em than not. You know what i dig about the Green weeinie or inch worm is that they fall outta trees into the water. So when my bushy dry with a worm dropped off it hits the water the fish are attracted to the distrubance and not spooked (unless you drop it on their head). I have seen a big brown race literally 15 feet to hammer my worm offering.

kflies
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
CB, do you weight them? That's what the original called for.

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea I throw a bead head on em, Last time I camped in the park a couple weeks ago I played around before I went, I tied some large ones like size 10 and 12 I think, and i tied em with a tail running of the back of the bend, and some with a loop, tied some with gold bead head and some with black bead heads, well none of it mattered they hammered all of em equally one being a 19 inch brown, nice fish, but I will say that I really like taking the material, I forget the name it is a sheet of green foamy kinda stuff? So i take it and let about 1/3 of the hook shank lenght and let it dandle off the back of the hook thentie it in and wrap forward on the shank, probably butchered the explination but this gives it a tail, thing I dig about that is it gives it some flow or natural looking movement, now you gott be careful cuz it will break off if you grab it or whatever cuz it ain't real strong material to begin with and you don't want so much that it will false around the hook when wet, so maybe think stubby tail?

kflies
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll let you know how I do. Should I try to get to Abrahms?

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I always like fishing Abrams, I will say it is the slickest stream in the park cuz it flows underground and picks up limestone (only river in park that does as far as I know) if you are fishing a week day the ride in ain't bad but on weekends it takes forever gettin in with the traffic and everybody stopping to take pics of squirrels

kflies
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
We'll give it a shot!