PDA

View Full Version : Advice on flies

tjw37909
09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I have been fly fishing for 4 months and need to know what flies I should stock up on for Fall and Winter. I plan on buying Jim Casada's new book and the little book from LRO on hatches and seasons. I am sure both of those will help tremendously, but, until then, any advice on what to buy whould be great. Thanks.

Carolina Boy
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
You are certainly on the right on track buying Mr. Casada's new book. I must say that while at LRO pick up the Roger Lowe streamside hatch chart/guide, it is great to have in your pack or vest, especially when starting out. I was fortunate to learn to tie flies under the instruction of Mr. Lowe and let me tell you he is a authority on these hills, and can sure wrap a hook! Best part is it fits in your pack! it shortens the learning curve. you read a book and learn technique and strategy, but when you go to the shop and look at trays with zillions of flies and the crazy names of patterns and you don't know the difference between a chernoble ant and a clouser minnow, and what the **** is a BWO?? sulphur doesn't that smell like eggs? it can be overwhelming and we all know what i am saying, SO you get this little book/guide and then you look at it and not only can you ask the fine people at flyshops where what you want is, you can actually learn what you ask for looks like! HA awesome!

tjw37909
09-11-2009, 12:29 AM
yes it has all been pretty confusing. it is frustrating starting out asnd wondering if you are not catching fish because you have the wrong fly, the wrong technique, or any combination of the two. i believe i am slowly getting a slight grasp on it but can see that i have tons left to learn. i think i glanced at the Lowe book the last time I was at LRO but left it on the shelf since i had already spent almost 300 dollars that day in there on some flies and a new temple fork rod to replace my walmart rig

silvercreek
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes it is terribly confusing at first. Hang in there. If possible I suggest you partner with an experieced fisherman or woman, or hire a guide if money permits. Join a flyfishing club if one is around where you live. You'll learn lots of stuff from such folks. If not you can learn it on your own. Main advice, be observant. Look for relationships between everything connected to the fish and the water they inhabit. Enjoy your time on the stream.

Rebelsoul
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
In all the years of fishing warm water streams I never thought much about bugs....they were something that bit you.
Crawfish,or minnows was the bait,a bug was just a bug.
The knowledge of hatches,when,where and what kind is something that is overwhelming to me also,I plan on getting the Smoky Mountain hatch book as a guide.
But are the nymphs of most types of flies available to trout in the Smokies most of the time?
Guess I need the book.

silvercreek
09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Yep. Nymphs are available year round to the trout, but they hide out under rocks and generally do their best not to be so available they get gobbled up. However when they must migrate the surface or to dry land in the case of some bugs, like some stoneflies, they are most vulnerable to trout. Day in and day out nymphing is the most productive way to fish. By the way, I fish dry flies almost exclusively. Just the way I like to fish and I am willing to accept a smaller chance of catching trout for the rush of seeing them take the fly on top. Go figure.

nvr2L8
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
tjw,

The first year that I started fly fishing, I stuck almost exclusively with a Parachute Adams. You really can't go wrong with a PA in any season. By staying with one fly, I was able to focus on technique rather than fly selection. Just a thought.

Rog 1
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Good piece of advice...when I first started fishing all I ever used was a Ginger Quill dry fly....I caught fish on this fly spring, summer and fall...made life a lot simpler....had to learn to put this fly where the fish were...only later did I learn that there were other selections to go to....

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I would say the order of importance is wading and approach followed by cast/presentation and then pattern when it comes to the park. Again Rogers little pocket hatch chart is great, plus when you are starting out you can take it in the shop and find what is suggested without luggin a larger book in there. Oh and to further the Parachute Adams talk if you havent fished or heard of it try the Klinkhammer, It is a parachute pattern but it is on a curved hook shank it allows the hook to sit lower in the surface film, butter hook up ratio, big in Europe Just slayed the Browns in Ireland using em. I think Byron selles em, and I know he has the hooks if you tie. I love em you will find that even when everything is right sometimes in the park due to the erradic water fish will simply miss this helps and the fish doesn't have to come as hi outta the water to sip it, they feel better and you will too! But fish it barbless sometimes due to its float level fish can take it deep. So pack them hemos!

Rebelsoul
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I keep seeing several people say that the Adams/Parachute Adams,is their all time favorite...I've tended to use it more often than others because of the experienced anglers saying that.
As far as nymphs go,the Tellico is the one I try most often.
I like old fashioned things,learning history is a big thing to me and after reading some of Jim Casada's new book last night and the history he includes on all things pertaining to fishing in the Smokies,I would like to collect as many of the traditional fly patterns as I can and try them,doing something like that just adds to the fishing experience for me.

Hal M
09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I've been impressed with the quality of information on this site. You can take to the bank what you get from LRO, Roger Lowe,Jim Casada, Hugh Hartsell and many others. Hugh has always given thorough and easy to understand tips. I hope to take his tying class if offered in the future.
The forum is one of the best I have ever seen!

Hal M.

tjw37909
09-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Talk about overwhelming. I got off work at 6a.m. and had one reply to my post. I just now woke up and have been reading replies for 15 minutes. Since trout feed more under the surface I like fishing with nymphs more most of the time. Some guys I fish with can tell when they get a strike with no indicator. I use a dry most of the time for a strike indicator. Will a normal strike indicator spook fish if I use one so I can fish a tandem nymph rig? It is a rush watching a fish come after a dry fly though.

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Man you can spook fish with the indicator one minute and then have one whack at it the next. When, and it ain't often at all, I use a indicator I got kinda if this bushy yellow/orange polysomthinorother rope stuff, i brish it out and it looks kinda buggy I guess, thought about stiking a hook in there cuz they will hit it, even fought a few fish for a second or two with it in their mouth till they let it go! I have used the thingamabober and it is cool if you are fishing some heavy stuff cuz it'll float and no re-dressing LRO sells em all different sizes

tjw37909
09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Carolina Boy. I will have to pick some up next time I am down there. I need to just break down and accept not catching many fish to practice detecting strikes with no indicator too.

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Unless you are in rather deep water tie on a dry fly and drop that nymph off there, they can show you how to rig it at the shop. Then you got the best of everything, you twice as many shots. Man I will fish a big dry even when i know there is no way they are gonna rise. When you do fish deep and try and "feel" the take remember hook sets are free

tjw37909
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Isaw this week what you mean about doubling the chances. I fished Ramsay Prong 2 days in a row. Same spot, same holes, same flies...................first day they hit nothing but the green weenie dropper..............next day they would not look at the dropper but wore out the parachute hopper. Even the little 3 inchers were somehow getting a mouth full of the size 12 hopper

Carolina Boy
09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Yep the thing is the fish in the park don't have the time to scrutinize the fly like their tailwater counterparts, so quite often pattern is lower down the line of importance compared to presentation, as it is with bass sometimes the more aggresive the fish takes can tell you how much competion there is in the area as well

Rog 1
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Once you have fished the water in the Park for a while you get to know how fast the water flows where you are fishing...just like following a dry fly and having to mend your line. The first time I ever fished a nymph was early one spring on Tremont when nothing was hitting on top...a couple of locals gave my friend and I several Tellico nymphs and just told us to watch the end of our fly lines....if it stopped for no apparent reason or jerked then chances were there had been a take....we both started catching fish almost immediately....I have watched oldtimers fishing with nothing more than a cane pole and a length of mono and move up the creek behind the trees high sticking a wet fly into runs....more times than not they were catching more than we with our fancy combos...

tjw37909
09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I have tried nymphing with no indicator but have a bit harder time with it. I have tried the parachute adams and had good luck with it, but I have had the best luck with a royal wulff. Plus it works much better as an indicatior for me as it has much more surface area and stays afloat much better. I fished from the first bench of Ramseys Cascade trail to where Ramsey Prong breaks off the main stream. Had great luck with a parachute hopper and tellico nymph before cahnging to a royal wulff and barbie weenie(I was out of Green Weenie) and had even better luck. The rainbows loved the Wulff and the brookies loved the Weenie. Pulled 3 eight inch brookies. Heard they are even bigger on Ramsey Prong. Gotta go back and find out

Skipjack
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
This is a system see link http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=flyshop&Product_Code=SA31REC&Category_Code=005leaders_tippetssee that I have started using last year because of the ease of changing the fly and leader very quickly and not to mention the use of the indicator which serves as the connector to the fishing line. I really like the fact that I can have a number of leaders already tied with flies on them and can simply remove them from the pack that it came in and click and twist onto my line in a jiffy. I usually have a couple of flies such as a wet and nymph tied on and let the green connector serve as my indicator. It floats extremely high in the water and you can see it really well when you are getting a hit. I use this system for all flies including dries and a dropper off the dry. Take a look at this link and you will see what I am talking about. I hope this will be some help. Good Fishing