PDA

View Full Version : About split shot...

Rebelsoul
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Where should you place the split shot when using a nymph,do you space it higher up the line or right in front of the nymph?
When I used live crawdads around here we always put the shot several inches higher.

tntom
09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I put mine 6" to 8" above the fly.

Rebelsoul
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks,that's about where I placed it above the crawdad.
Makes sense but I just didn't know for sure....to me a bug has always been just a bug and a nymph,well,I never considered one of those before I started fly fishing.:smile:

Carlito
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Just curious... in what cases would you use splitshot instead of a beadhead, besides when you don't have a beadhead handy? Just when you want to bump along the bottom and the water is pretty swift?

David Knapp
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Use a beadhead and split shot...;)

Rebelsoul
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Just curious... in what cases would you use splitshot instead of a beadhead, besides when you don't have a beadhead handy? Just when you want to bump along the bottom and the water is pretty swift?
Being new at nymph fishing,for me I would apply previous bottom fishing techniques...my Tellico nymphs don't have a beadhead so in order to fish them it will take a shot to get them down,and even a beadhead sometimes will not have enough weight I'm sure,to get deep enough to stay where you want it to drift along according to the current it's in,that's where I would add some more weight.
When I was creek fishing crawdads,a splishot about 6/8 inches would let the shot drop to the bottom and let the crawdad move around some...so to me,I guess a shot above the nymph will let the nymph drift along at a rate that looks normal to a trout.
At least that's what I think so far....but like I said I'm an oldtimer who is new to mountain streams...I just wish I could catch some crawdads and fish in the park...That I KNOW how to do....whether the trout would eat them is another thing.;)

Carlito
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Reb. That's basically my thoughts as well.

Man, I guarantee you'd have luck with a crawdad, but we'll never know, will we? :rolleyes: