PDA

View Full Version : Lake Fontana Campsite #78 Question

Carlito
09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Fellow fish fanatics,

I am heading up to Fontana w/ a couple friends and the jon boat on Friday to camp at #78. This is an island campsite that I've never visited, and I'm wondering if I should pack my tent or my Hennessey Hammock. Does anyone know if there are good hammock hanging spots?

Carl

fearnofishbob
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Carl, sorry I can't help you I've been by that site but never stopped there. If you have room for both i'd take 'em - that way you are covered !!--If not I'd opt for the tent..........Bob

Carlito
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks, dude. I've never even been by it, so it is 100% new to me. I've been to Fontana, of course, but never out on the water. I imagine there must be trees on the island...

I may go ahead and pack both. We won't be doing any backpacking, and the hammock barely takes up any space. It sure is a heckuva lot more comfy though!

Crockett
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Carlito is there a bridge or way to get to and from the Island into the park?

Jim Casada
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks, dude. I've never even been by it, so it is 100% new to me. I've been to Fontana, of course, but never out on the water. I imagine there must be trees on the island...

I may go ahead and pack both. We won't be doing any backpacking, and the hammock barely takes up any space. It sure is a heckuva lot more comfy though!
Carlito--If you are thinking of trout fishing as one of your primary activities on this trip, I would urge you to reconsider your campsite. Why would you want to camp on Double Island when there are designated campsites near the mouth of all the streams which empty into Fontana's north shore.

Of course for lake fishing it might be fine. I've never stayed at the campsite and really know little about it other than where it is located. I do know it isn't a logical destination for the trout fisherman.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

GrouseMan77
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Carlito,

You may need to be slapped. It is Fontana Lake, just like it is Norris Lake. Not Lake Norris. Have you been hanging around with the out of towners from up 75?

duckypaddler
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
In theory there are trees to tie your hammock to, but there isn't much space. If you guys are the only group you will be fine as there is a decent size camp (for 4-6) at middle of island. If multiple groups then there were cramped camping at either end of island. Remember is land is less than a 100 yards long.

I did this trip a few years back with the touring kayakers of Chota and it was a nice time. I will try & post a few pics to give you a better idea. If you boat doesn't have an anchor bring lots of rope if lake is down as it can be 50+ feet of steep bank to climb.

I take it your not chasing trout this trip?

James Locke

duckypaddler
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=337
Close up campsite in middle of island - hope you get this one

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=340

Futher away view

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=338

Parking situation with my hammock in foreground. This is why you may need rope if no anchor

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=339

Early moring view

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=341

A little later that morning

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=342

Your truly taking in the Fontana lake experience.

Hope that actually help!

I wonder if Grouseman is an English teacher. He probably takes offense when some one says Ravens Fork also.

Have Fun

James Locke

duckypaddler
09-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey Carlito is there a bridge or way to get to and from the Island into the park?

I guess you could swim! Otherwise, I'd stick to the boat

GrouseMan77
09-25-2009, 06:39 AM
"Hope that actually help! I wonder if Grouseman is an English teacher. He probably takes offense when some one says Ravens Fork also."

And to answer your question...no I am not an English teacher.

Carlito
09-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up and the pix, Duck. I decided to go ahead and pack both since I had plenty of room in my pack when I finished packing everything else. We had anticipated the need for a long rope or anchor, but thanks for the friendly reminder!

I am not the captain of this trip, and my buddy who is driving seems pretty keen to camp on the island at #78, so that's where we'll be hanging out tonight at least (assuming we are the first to arrive). We'll be prepared to migrate if necessary though.

Trout fishing isn't the primary objective on this trip, but we were planning to do some lake fishing and possibly venture out for some trout fishing as well. I know it's a long way to most of the good streams from where we are camping, but it would be a scenic cruise regardless.

Elkins, what can I say. Busted. The google lead me astray. Too bad you won't be able to join us. We gotta plan another backpacking trip in soon and get the ladies back out in the woods.

Grannyknot
09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Carl, I am sure Garrett remembers this from a previous adventure I went on with him, but be sure to pull the jon boat a good ways up the bank and pull the plug (for draining purposes). We are supposed to get some rain.

Last time I island camped with him we bailed water out of the boat for a good hour after a night-long monsoon.

If you remember, ask him about my puddle-pillow. :biggrin:

duckypaddler
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
If so I believe you may have an "adventure" to confess.

flyman
09-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Be sure you have some way to secure your food and toiletry items, or anything that is scented for that matter . Last time we camped at that site there were hundreds of squirrels running arond everywhere. They chewed on everything, they even climbed the rope we used to hang our food and chewed thru it. Then they chewed thru the bag and took a bite out of almost everything in the bag. They must have been starving because they would come right up to you and start eating any food you had dropped while you were eating. I'm talking about running back and forth across you shoes! We also saw about 20 of them swimming in the lake the couple days we were there. I think they were trying to get to another food source. I was almost scared to go to sleep. Does anyone know if they make a squirrel repellent?

Jim Casada
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Be sure you have some way to secure your food and toiletry items, or anything that is scented for that matter . Last time we camped at that site there were hundreds of squirrels running arond everywhere. They chewed on everything, they even climbed the rope we used to hang our food and chewed thru it. Then they chewed thru the bag and took a bite out of almost everything in the bag. They must have been starving because they would come right up to you and start eating any food you had dropped while you were eating. I'm talking about running back and forth across you shoes! We also saw about 20 of them swimming in the lake the couple days we were there. I think they were trying to get to another food source. I was almost scared to go to sleep. Does anyone know if they make a squirrel repellent?
Flyman--What you experienced was a starvation migration. It happens once every couple of decadess, usually when a year with a heavy mast crop is followed by a near total failure of nuts. I saw it twice during my youth and on one occasion Fontana Lake was literally teeming with bushytails. Bears also migrated in a big way that year. Of course bears and bushytails were starving. This year's mast crop appears to be fair-to-middlin' or maybe a bit better, so I don't expect the island will be home to many squirrels.
Jim Casada

Carlito
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
If so I believe you may have an "adventure" to confess.

We got on the road Friday afternoon shortly before 4:00 and made it to the Cable Cove boat ramp with plenty of time to motor over to our campsite before dark. We were surprised that the rain held out all evening, and we had a very pleasant Friday night by the campfire enjoying the cool breeze and cold beers.

As you can imagine, we got dumped on all day Saturday. We didn't drag the boat up the bank and pull the plug, so Garrett used the top to the Coleman lantern box to bail the jon boat to keep it from sinking. By the end of the day, it had rained intermittently for about 2 hours and poured non-stop for 6.5 hrs! Luckily, we brought several tarps and plenty of beverages, so we just hunkered down, fixed a pot of chili, and enjoyed the weather :biggrin:

Sunday we woke up to a beautiful sunrise and clear skies. We motored over to Eagle and Hazle Creeks to fish, but water levels were WAY WAY up. I tried fishing for a while, but it was evident that I wasn't going to catch much and I wasn't very interested in drowning.

Regardless, we had an awesome trip. Yet another case in which good friends and preparation triumphed over nasty weather!

Also, FYI, I slept in the hammock (very happily!) and pitched my tent's rainfly for a sheltered storage area.

pineman19
09-29-2009, 02:33 PM

I think they make it in a 22 caliber:biggrin:

pinksanjuan
10-03-2009, 03:41 PM
How did the trip turn out?