PDA

View Full Version : Zap A Gap

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
I've been having issues with it clogging up the small knob near the tip of the vice (where the fly is held). I took it out and cleaned the threads (I have a Griffith Spider Vice). My question is two fold; A) Am I using too much if this is happening? and B) Do better vices have this knob or a similar part? I guess I need to start using the cone that goes on the end of the Zap A Gap bottle?

gmreeves
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm confused? Why or how are you getting Zap a Gap on the threads? What are you using the Zap a Gap for?

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I use it like head cement...holds better. My flies last twice as long if I use ZAG.

gmreeves
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
If it is dripping off of the head and running down onto your vise then yes you are using too much. I haven't used zap a gap in a long time but you may experiment on how to store it so you can apply it with a bodkin/tooth pick like you would normally do with a head cement. I store varnish in small glass jars that I get at a hobby store. You may be able to do the same with zap a gap and then apply it with a toothpick instead of straight from the bottle. I'm not sure if it would kick and harden if you put it in the bottle though. Another option would be to squeeze a little out on a piece of wax paper and then apply it with a toothpick. I do this regularly with super glue. It is amazing how long super glue takes to harden if it is just a big drop sitting on a piece of plastic or wax paper.

As far as the question on your vise, I have a Renzetti Traveler and it has the course adjustment up near the top of the jaws like you describe.

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.:smile:

Carolina Boy
09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Try some hard as hullit comes in a blue bottle, I used 2 coats for all of my saltwater patterns and kinda build it up in the fly dryer turning wheel, builds up nice, has a applicater brush much less messy, What kinda flies are you using the zap-a-gap for?

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Dries and midges etc

silvercreek
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
If you tie quill bodied flies, try supergue for a coating over the quill. Really adds durability.

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 07:51 PM
I thought zap a gap was super glue?

tire guy
09-28-2009, 08:08 PM
BRF I also use zap a gap but like suggested above I put a drop down and then apply with bodkin. You are probably too young to remember "a little dab will do ya" but that is all it takes. Hope this helps.

BlueRaiderFan
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys, no I remember "a little dab will do ya." I'm actually 40, I just act like an 18 year old :biggrin: (I crack myself up)

Carolina Boy
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Hard as hull! believe me I chase fish that have teeth and crusher plates the all sorts a nasty attitude, I totally appreciate the big bruiser browns on the tailwaters but dude you get a nice little applicater brush and no mess, and I can be messy. It is ok if you don't have a drying wheel, although I got a great one at LRO for like 30 bucks worth it! But this stuff goes on kinda thin but one more coat after the first dries and you are golden! I dig Zapagap but way to much trouble for tiny midges,besides what does it take like ten seconds and 6 inches of thread to tie em? You will like this stuff.

billyspey
09-29-2009, 06:23 AM
zapagap makes a kit with a section of very fine tube and extra tips so you can use the whole bottle with few problems with very small amounts. try just apply to the thread before whip finishing. brown trout find the ordor of zap offincive let your flys to air dry for several days before using.

tire guy
09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Ok I will ask the question everyone wants to know, Billy have you seen them wrinkle their nose at a fresh zapagap fly? LOL

BlueRaiderFan
09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Hard as hull! believe me I chase fish that have teeth and crusher plates the all sorts a nasty attitude, I totally appreciate the big bruiser browns on the tailwaters but dude you get a nice little applicater brush and no mess, and I can be messy. It is ok if you don't have a drying wheel, although I got a great one at LRO for like 30 bucks worth it! But this stuff goes on kinda thin but one more coat after the first dries and you are golden! I dig Zapagap but way to much trouble for tiny midges,besides what does it take like ten seconds and 6 inches of thread to tie em? You will like this stuff.

I'm going to look into it brother. Thanks for the advice. Billy, I hear a Brown won't eat one with the wrong size thread on it either.;)

billyspey
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
just reporting what i have heard no personal experiences, you try it and let me know what your findings were, for me i will let them dry and air out just like as always .i will not take any chances, i don't get a chance to fish often enough as it is . i will do anthing to increase my catch rate. not a gambler here.

BlueRaiderFan
09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Billy, sounds good. To each his own and I ain't knockin' ya. I may rib a fella a bit, but I'm never intentionally a jerk. I will probably try letting them dry a bit myself and see if it helps. I'm lucky being about 40 minutes from the best Tailwater in Tennessee.