PDA

View Full Version : Little River

spotlight
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I just thought I would share a picture of a rainbow that I caught fishing yesterday just below Elkmont on the Little River the river was fast as you all know and I am a true rookie at fly fishing, but I know that I am hooked.

This is my second fish since I have started fly fishing 3 weeks ago when I caught my first rainbow I didn't have a camera I went to LRO and bought a net and Daniel told me a net and a camera is the sure curse to never catch fish I guess I got lucky again thought I'd share the pic I guess I can always say the other one was bigger.

http://thetroutguy.blogspot.com/

nvr2L8
10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Excellent, spotlight! Glad to know we've got another Murvillian hooked on fly fishing. Keep up the good work.

Scott H.
10-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Way to go man!

Nice fish. What'd you take it on?

I know you were hooked when I talked to you at the trailhead last week.

Scott

spotlight
10-01-2009, 11:39 PM
A # 14 parachute adams yep I'm hooked if you come back up this way again and go backpacking give me a heads up. I go all the time with our hiking group the link is at the bottom of my posts you should join "its free" we do overnight trips down your way as well. But yeah I got it bad I'm going again tomorrow and beginner fly fish class on Saturday..... Oh yeah and and fishing Rocky Fork off Deep Creek on Sunday. And if the fishing looks good next week I'll take a day off and go.

I have surprised myself at how well I have done so far, Daniel at the outfitters has helped me a lot and has answered many stupid questions I did learn to tie on my own tippet now thanks for the tips that day.

Jim Casada
10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
A # 14 parachute adams yep I'm hooked if you come back up this way again and go backpacking give me a heads up. I go all the time with our hiking group the link is at the bottom of my posts you should join "its free" we do overnight trips down your way as well. But yeah I got it bad I'm going again tomorrow and beginner fly fish class on Saturday..... Oh yeah and and fishing Rocky Fork off Deep Creek on Sunday. And if the fishing looks good next week I'll take a day off and go.

I have surprised myself at how well I have done so far, Daniel at the outfitters has helped me a lot and has answered many stupid questions I did learn to tie on my own tippet now thanks for the tips that day.
Spotlight--You should do quite well on Rocky Fork. It's full of (mostly small) fish. I assume you know you'll be off trail and that it is a pretty good haul in and out--not so much the distance but the climb back out to 441 is a booger. On the other hand, you are no doubt a lot youngerthan me, and as I'm increasingly discovering, that does make a difference. Jim Casada

Rebelsoul
10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for sharing the picture...ain't it funny how catching a fish that's wild in the park is so much better than a stocker anywhere else?
In the years past I have caught fairly large rainbows in a few creeks here in Middle TN,that were stocked,twice as large as any in the park waters or Cherokee Forest area that I catch...but that first little wild rainbow that I caught in the mountains on a fly was really special,one I was thankful for and will never forget.

silvercreek
10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Rebelsoul and Spotlight, Man you guys have got the flyfishing bug bad. It's good to see your enthusiasm. Takes me back about thirty years. My hands still shake when I'm tying on that first fly in a trout stream. May it always be so for us all.

Scott H.
10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Well said!

spotlight
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Jim, yes I have hiked that trail downhill to the campground....it's a steep one! I am not looking forward to the hike back out to 441 but smaller fish? hmm now your making me rethink this as a fishing spot? Maybe i'd fair better on the lower secion above the falls coming up from the campground side? What's your take on this section? I only go on what I read in books on fishing in the smokies......today when i'm in the outfitters i'm going to pick up a copy of your book as well.

spotlight
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/spotlight722/?action=view&current=008.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg% 20src=%22http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/spotlight722/008.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Little%20Rive r%20Trout%22%3E%3C/a%3E

Rebelsoul
10-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Rebelsoul and Spotlight, Man you guys have got the flyfishing bug bad. It's good to see your enthusiasm. Takes me back about thirty years. My hands still shake when I'm tying on that first fly in a trout stream. May it always be so for us all.
You're right man,funny thing is I'm 56 years old and thought I would never again get fishing fever...but this is so much different,and the scenery is wonderful to boot....so it has refreshed my brain and cleared the work garbage from my head.