PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Journals

Carolina Boy
10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys and girls out there keep a journal of your fishing? I have several volumes and although usually behind i chronicle every time i go out and chase fish. Lots of pictures, and a good bit of humor, usually i write at night after a few cold ones so when i look back it can be kinda funny, you know stories like sticking my first trout in the park, or my first bonefish, venturing through the woods and coming up on a woman drunk as can be on shine, having an elk scare the heck outta me at Cataloochee, fishing in Ireland, or consorting with some very nice ladies from KY, i think? a few camp sites over at elkmont...you know fishing stuff! Just curious, oh and when i do settle down my wife who i haven't met yet she will not be reading these! Sorry

MadisonBoats
10-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Carolina Boy,
I do and I think they are fabulous tools and fun reading at times. I suggest everyone to keep a fly fishing log. This could be an invaluable family memento for future generations...

Carolina Boy
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Yea man, I get a kick out of looking back and remebering different stuff that happens out there, as well as my interpretation of it from back then, figured I wasn't the only one!

tennswede
10-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a journal dating back to 1979. Like you said, it is kind of fun to reread at times.

ChemEAngler
10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I guess my blog is my journal of sorts, but for more detailed information I keep a fishing log that includes weather, water temp, clarity, fishing techniques, successful flies, etc. It has been very useful.

Byron Begley
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
If I kept a fishing journal here's what today's entry would be. Paula and I pulled the boat over the Foothills Parkway to Tellico Lake. As usual, motorcycles were on our butt and passing on double yellow lines. Three guys did just that. I commented to Paula how stupid they are. We drove down the road on our way to fish going under the speed limit. We came up on an accident scene. One of the three riders had run off the road in the best place he could have picked. His bike was wrecked but he was OK. A park service person was there in uniform. I drove through, turned around and drove back to the scene.

I walked up to the Park Service fellow and told him I was a material witness to "wreckless endangerment", "The State of Tennessee vs. those three men." The man in uniform told me he was a maintenance person. I told him I would wait for a ranger. He said the guys told him not to report the accident. I told him he had to report it by law. He walked away.

So I decided to ream the bike riders a new one. I stood there on the side of the road telling these men that this is not a race track and their actions were wreckless and stupid. I told them I live here and drive this road almost weekly to go fishing. I said a man was killed on this road last night and his wife was flown by helicopter to UT. I told them wild animals cross the road. I explained that deer, wild boar and bears run right out in front of you often. I said a motorcycle rider hit a bear three weeks ago. I told them another person died on "the Dragon" this week.

Paula said my arms were pointing and moving. She was worried we would get into a fight. All three were much bigger than me. They agreed with me, we shook hands, I left and we went fishing.

At the ramp this evening a motorcycle went by flying. We commented that he had to be doing over 100 miles per hour. Jack, who does not stretch the facts guessed 150 miles per hour. We talked more, maybe for a half hour. We heard a siren. An ambulance flew by. Then a State Trooper flew by with lights and siren on. We're sure that person is probably dead.

Tonight we were driving home. A motorcycle rider was right on the back of the boat tailgating us. A bear, a very large bear ran across the road right in front of us. If I had been speeding we would have hit him. I looked back and the motorcycle was gone. I don't know if he ran off the road or pulled over for some reason. What a day. I deal with this every time I go over there. Some of them are careful. Some are dangerous.

One of the guys at the accident scene told me "we drove 600 miles to come here and kill ourselves". I thought to myself, people drive further than that to come here and kill themselves. This "Tail of the Dragon" thing is getting out of hand.

Byron

bigpopper
10-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I really need to keep track of my flyfishing trips. I can only imagine the invaluable information and humor ;) I am losing out on by not doing this. Think I will look into finding a "journal" this weekend. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:

BlueRaiderFan
10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Byron,

I've always thought of my riding a bike as a less than wise pursuit of pleasure due to the inherent and apparent danger. Couple that with more b#lls than brains and you have a bad mix.

Carolina Boy
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Why is it that you never have a hard time finding someone to tailgate you when you are draggin a boat?? I don't understand why the heck anyonwe would be stupid enough to get rite up behind anyone, much less someone that is dragin around any kind of trailer? dumb, and as for the dragon tail thing, those guys are complete idiots. Its funny we have so many rules in this country now designed to protect us from ourselfs, where the heck is some controls on this kinda behavior?

SWAMPUS
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Carolina Boy ,there is a control.It's called natural selectionBeen around a long time.Every time you see one of these idiots in a ditch,faced up to a tree,they've been 'selected'.

donwinn
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I bought a pocket journal from these guys to carry on road trips. They are small enough to put in your pocket and make timely notes.

Check it out at http://www.journalsunlimited.com/.

Carolina Boy
10-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes SWAMPUS very wise observation sir!

Tread Lightly
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree with the Dragon being way out of control. A couple of years ago I had to come home on a piece of 129 after crossing over on the Cherohala. The bikers were all over me as usual. As I rounded a corner, I saw an ambulance on the side of the road lifting a guy up in a stretcher. His armor was all shredded and there were blood stains all down his leg. His bike was halfway down the embankment. These guys say they come from all over "to kill themselves", but I would love to know their thoughts when the pain, fear, and sometimes death creep in after an accident like that.

What really bothers me is how selfish these people are. They feel they have a right to come out here on public roads paid for by all of us and completely ignore all rules of safety just so they can have a thrill. There are families with children driving those roads all the time and those bikers risk the lives of everyone on the road when they drive like that. If they want to fly, they should go pay to use a private road or track, but not our public roads. I applaud the ones who obey the laws and just want to enjoy the beauty of those roads. But the racers have got to go!

SWAMPUS
10-29-2009, 09:43 AM
KUDOS,Tread Lightly.My place in N.C. is off hwy 28 between Franklin and Louada(intersection w/rt 74).They love this piece of road!Leathers may cut down on roadrash ,but doesn't help when you hit a tree @ 40 per.I'm there every other month and travel 28 alot going to the Nant and GSMNP.Never seen a cop.Never!6years-no cop!Maybe those 2 squirrels from the insurance commercial will move to the mountains!

Tread Lightly
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I don't know why you never see any police out there. I mean, if you want some ticket revenue, that is the place to get it. But they probably don't trap it because they figure they won't be able to catch the bikes. Those police cruisers would be no match against a crotch rocket on those roads. But maybe they could hire some of those dare-devils to work for the force. They could sit out there with a suped-up police bike and chase them down after they got clocked. Anyway, it is not just 129 or Cherohala, they are on any piece of paved, windy road that crosses the mountains. And probably 70% of them are the inconsiderate ones. I just wish they could step outside of themselves for a spell and think about the potential impacts of their choices on others.

Jim Casada
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Byron and others--I just came across the accounts of those idiots who speed, tailgate, cross double yellow lines, pass illegally, and generaly constitut a meance to themselves and the general public while astride motorcycles. There are two issues here I haven't seen noted:
(1) The noise they generate is a major nuisance in the Park (and out). You can get away from a stream and literally hear them for miles. In my view, its a toss-up between motorcycles and horses as to which is more damaging. Motorbikes create noise pollution while horses create problems with erosion, trail destruction, and more. Just compare the Boogerman Trail with most any other one in the Cataloochee basin and the evidence hits you between the eyes (horses aren't allowed on Boogerman). Similarly, compare and contrast designated backcountry campsites where horses aren't allowed with those where they are.
(2) Accidents and the cost of getting medical personnel to them is creating a huge problem for both Swain and Graham Counties. As for the absence of law enforcement, whether on the Old Franklin Road (Highway 28), the Cherohala Highway, or 129, or other winding roads, that's a great mystery to me. I actually wonder if some local cops are intimidated (and I've never seen a motorcycle stopped in the Park, although I often see cars stopped). If there was steady and consistent enforcement, with hefty fines for major violations, the word would get out.
If these folks with middl two-digit IQs want to kill themselves, I guess that's all right; but I can't abide them affecting others (which they do, constantly). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

David Knapp
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
It isn't worth patrolling those roads because a cop has no chance of catching someone on a motorcycle if they don't want to be caught...just something to think about... On the TN side of the Dragon, Blount County Sheriffs deputies are routinely patrolling but it is still hard to ticket people that can simply ride faster than your car will drive...

Jim Casada
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Plateau Angler--Good point, and one I had not thought about. Obviously if they are already willing to break all sorts of laws and abandon common sense, a little matter like fleeing from arrest won't trouble them. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Grannyknot
10-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Here's a company of questionable conscience that profits from rider's risking their own lives and the lives of others. If anything, I'd say they promote this behavior.
http://www.killboy.com/

I find the name of the company quite ironic.

If you look closely when crossing over deal's gap, you will see where they post up.
My wife has a picture on her computer of us giving the camera the "California Howdy" out the window as we pass thru the gap a few years back. Of course, we weren't willing to pay the $7, so it has "proof" written all over it.

GrouseMan77
10-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I have often wondered if speed bumps or rumble strips would help slow the motorcycles and little cars down.

Rebelsoul
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I nearly wiped out about 10 cycles on Tellico River Rd. in Sept.
They met me on a curve and were way over on my side,so I had a bluff on the passenger side and harleys in front....I know how to drive on mountain roads,so I was as far over as I could get.
The idiots nearly got creamed,just so they could cruise all over the road looking tough...like the were the only ones on the road....they weren't,me and jeep saw to that.
Back to the fishing journal,I had never thought of that it's a cool idea.

flyman
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on one for this year. I have kept one off and on since about 76/77. Looks like I am fishing less, but being more successful when I do. I might fish another few days this year, just depends on the weather and water levels. I'm not much of a fish counter now days and unless the fish is unusually large I don't even make a record of it. I am more apt to record who and where I went fishing, the conditions, hatches, maybe a fly pattern I am working on, and perhaps:smile: a note about the flora or fauna I observed :biggrin: I'm just happy to be out and fishing somewhere now days

MadisonBoats
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I have start using the "Rite in the Rain" version for some time. It is a nice fly fishing log, but the pages take longer to dry if you are using ink. Also, I usually fill a log up every 3-4 months.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs596.ash2/154894_10150100137458319_718858318_7334076_2972057 _n.jpg

Crockett
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I do journal occassionally but would like to have the discipline to do it all the time. I tend to skip it then that gets to be a habit.

Whoever mentioned the speed bumps on the dragon (grouseman) I think that is an excellent idea. I think even as few as 15 well placed ones might do the trick. Put them in the "best" curves and space them out enough to kill the thrill of speeding through there.

My journal for yesterday would be this:

Hadn't fished in over a month due to being sick with repeated cold bronchitis. Finally felt better. Being newly married my wife Amanda (who loves hiking in the smokies) wanted to go with me and we agreed on a hike/fish outing. We were going to hike up the Meigs Creek trail to where it crosses Meigs Creek and she was going to bring a book and sit and read while I fished then we would hike back out. That was the plan anyway. We started out the day by stopping and enjoying Miss Lillies Sunday brunch which was great then we stopped at LRO where I shopped first (part of the fishing ritual). When we got to LRO Amanda went to the bathroom and I shopped. She seemed to be taking a long time and while I was waiting a guy came in with 4 or 5 kids in tow. He was talking to Ethan (i think) about being a deep sea fisherman but wanted to try fishing for trout in the mountains. In the meantime his kids were running wild a couple had rod demos out sword fighting with them and another kid had a fishing net and was chasing his sibling around the store with it. Finally Amanda hatched from the bathroom and told me she was feeling sick. We stopped at the IGA and got her some meds and drove on to the sinks. By the time we got there it was apparent that she wasn't going to be able to do the hike. We had a good time sitting there watching all the tourists though. We decided she could sit in the car and read while I fished a bit so I drove to Elkmont and we checked out the new road work there which is nice. We parked next to Jakes Creek and I fished for about 10 minutes but struck out. I felt bad having a sick wife in the car waiting for me so I returned and we went home. There is always next week ;)

JoeFred
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Adam, a belated congratulations to you and Amanda! IMO, anyone who weds a Russellville girl is marrying up.:smile:

Glad you're feeling better.

JF

Crockett
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Adam, a belated congratulations to you and Amanda! IMO, anyone who weds a Russellville girl is marrying up.:smile:

Glad you're feeling better.

JF

Thanks Fred and Amanda says hi! Soon you will be the most famous Russellville resident since we see your maps everywhere we go now. Seen them at the NOC in Gatlinburg. A friend who works where I work has one on his wall here and he isn't even a fisherman but is an avid hiker. I looked closely at it and saw the St. Clair Mapping sig at the bottom when we were talking one day.

JoeFred
11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Bill Hey, fly fishing lead, at NOC Great Outpost in Gatlinburg and formerly with LRO, was instrumental in getting the maps there. I am a bit prejudiced, but the stream maps are good for hikers as well, provided they are not annoyed by the sights and sounds the sparkling, crystal clear water adds to the outing. ;)

One of these days I want to offer a personalized stream map of the Park, which would pinpoint events captured in a journal such as the one Shawn has. Anyone interested in more information or have ideas for such may email me at fredturner at saintclairmapping dot com.