PDA

View Full Version : Public Showers

TomW
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
After a couple of days fishing near Elkmont campground a shower would be real nice. However I have been told there aren't any showers in GSMNP free or pay. Is this correct and if so where might be the closest available??

Thanks
Tom

BlueRaiderFan
10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Hmm...Truck drivers usually know where these things are. Maybe they have a website that will help you out.

old tom
10-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Closest is probably back in Gatlinburg at the Happy Hiker. One block to the left off the main drag just after you come into town from the Park.

russ
10-05-2009, 09:50 AM
If you're already in Elkmont just hike up Little River a little ways, bring some biodegradeable soap and hop in the creek. It will be the fastest bath you've ever taken!

Kytroutbum
10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Bass Pro and maybe Cabelas sell a propane shower for around $100. They work great are well worth the cost, and we use it all the time. The problem is that the NPS does not allow solar or propane showers in the campgrounds- coliform bacteria contamination. But last spring, I watched a couple "walk?" their five dogs on an empty neighboring camp site and not use a "doggy bag". ANYWAY( PET PEEVE!!), since I can't use my propane shower, I just take it and use it to heat water in the tank and wash off.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

kytroutman
10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
You guys actually take showers on your camping trips? I thought that was part of the experience, getting as gamey (sp?) as you possibly could.

Carolina Boy
10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Yea in the warm months I can work up quite a sweat setting my tent up as fast as i can so i can hit the streams, when my girlfriend gets there late as heck later that night she appreciates the fact that i froze my butt off rinsing (no soap...what soap?) in the cold water, not a good fall winter plan. I wonder why they do not have showers in the campgrounds? Yellowstone has lodges for goodness sakes, any idea?

cag215
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Most of the bathrooms at the park camp grounds have slop sinks on the outside of the building. Warm up a little water, pour it in a bucket, do a sponge bath at the slop sink.
Go inside of the bathroom, and use baby wipes for those near and dear spots.

On week long stays, i keep the camp setup, but at day 3 or 4 we get a room in town for a night to take a shower.

Speckleman5
10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I hear ya kytroutman.

Rog 1
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I know there is at least one commercial campground in Townsend that allows you to pay for a shower.....I have also send a list posted somewhere....may be at the wood and ice station at Elkmont....of other campgrounds that allow pay as you go showers....

cubefisher
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
ditto on the baby wipe thing. Works like a champ.

Rog 1
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I am sure the Park must have some regulation about the use of even biodegradeable soap in the rivers but in the summer time you can't beat finding a nice plunge pool to use as a shower....mighty refreshing.

cag215
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm

In the back country rules and regulations go down to

#12 Polluting park waters is prohibited. Do not wash dishes or bathe with soap and water.

http://www.nps.gov/ser/templates/images/graphics/spacer.gif

Rebelsoul
10-09-2009, 08:21 AM
With some of the people I've seen,they pollute the water by just getting in.;)
I'll take animals over them anyday.

Indianapolis Fisherman
12-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi Tom,
I had the same question a couple of years ago. There is definitely a list of locations posted on the bulletin board at the check-in station in Elkmont. If I remember right, there are two or three options (all of them are in Townsend). Iíve used the shower at Big Meadow campground several times. They charge $4 per person.
Scott

The Principal
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
The Ranger office where you check -in at the campground used to have a list of
places you could go in Townsend to take a shower.

oldhickory
12-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Showers? Who needs them anyway? :biggrin: They are over rated.:eek:
Anyway, I usually scrub up in my tent (it's a family size)

The Principal
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
You are right Oldhickory, after several years of camping in the Park, a large tent, a bucket of water, wash clothe and wet wipes can do wonders.