PDA

View Full Version : Tenkara

Troutman
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
The old ways are becoming popular again....
http://www.tenkarausa.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11TH3i-CXdk

It think I would miss the reel, what about you?

Bran
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I think so too Gary, I checked these out after I saw a video of Joan Wullf casting one. I'd never heard of it till then.

tennswede
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Not too far off from when I used to "dap" with a fiberglass crappie rod bought at Kmart for $8. Those were the days.

Carlito
10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Awesome. Went backpacking one time and realized way way too late that I had forgotten my reel. I had a blast anyway, and caught plenty of trout just dabbing tippet tied in just above the grip on my rod. One of these rods is definitely going to be added to my quiver.

Troutman
10-06-2009, 04:47 PM
It would definitely be an easy way to highstick nymphs or dapple dries but I really enjoy casting too.
I used to high stick all the time and I would always end up with a really sore shoulder at the end of the day. I can double haul streamers all day with no problems but holding that rod out in front of me just kills me. I think I would rather have one of those new Cortland Brook 10ft 4wts if I were looking for a long rod.

Hans, I had a cane pole and would dapple live grasshoppers in the creek behind my parents house growing up. It was fun!

Grannyknot
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
There was a pretty vicious debate between the WNC boys over on SE Fly Fishing a few weeks back.

I have to admit they have my intrest, in that I use a 9' rod in the mountains, never cast in the traditional sense, and rarely use my reel.

BlueRaiderFan
10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Guys, are these rods telescoping? Are they basically a cane pole? I could see roll casting all day in those mountains.

jeffnles1
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I ran into a guy at a local lake this summer using something very similar. It was some type of glass or graphite "cane pole". He had about 15-20' of line on the thing and was flipping woolie buggers and crappie jigs. The guy was doing quite well on crappie and bass.

Jeff

Bran
10-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Here's Joan Wollf casting the Tenkara in a pants suit and high heels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWt7uf4VyvU

Jim Casada
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Grannyknot--Quite posssibly the finest fisherman I've nown, in terms of catching sheer numbers of trout, was an old fellow in Bryson City who used a cane pole of abut 10 feet in length with a short piece of monofilament. He varied between two nymphs and three wet flies, and he could flat-out catch fish Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Rog 1
10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
It has been a while but in my early days of fishing the Little River above Elkmont it was not uncommon to see local oldtimers with their cane poles walking the banks and drifting wet flies through the runs....saw many a stick loaded with more trout than I had.

silvercreek
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I've seen an older fellow do the same on Cataloochee. He caught a lot of fish. Me I like casting. It's part of the total experience. I get a lot of enjoyment in placing a good cast in a difficult place. Thanks my two cents. Silvercreek

Bran
10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
There is a cane pole hanging in a fly shop in east TN over the desk. I commented on it and the proprietor told me that a native could outfish about anybody with one of those long whips.

Rebelsoul
10-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I've fished with a flyrod in creeks all my life but only recently when I started flyfishing did I start casting.
My old Wright & McGill 9' fiberglass that was used mainly like a cane pole with a line and hook weighted with a splitshot or two has caught everything from largemouth to catfish,and rainbow stockers,but mostly black perch (redeye) and sunfish.
When I started learning about flyfishing I learned what I had been doing all along was either "dappling" or "highsticking"....I guess.
I'm going to try more of that method with nymphs.

Carlito
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Guys, are these rods telescoping? Are they basically a cane pole? I could see roll casting all day in those mountains.

That they are, indeed.

BlueRaiderFan
10-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Very interesting. I could see me using one in the mountains.

gutshot
10-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Where can I get my $500 sage and $800 winston tenkara rod?

I think this is going to create a lot of headaches in the long run.....

Funny thing is that it is a form of commercial market fishing in Japan.

jross
10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Let's see if I got this right?....take an old idea, give it a foreign origin, charge more for the product and then call it "new"? :biggrin:

did they explain what kind of line the tenkara line is?...looks like a braid

Owl
12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll revisit this thread, since I'm going to try it first hand. I'll give you a review when I've come to some sort of "real world" conclusions. I can see from this old thread that there's alot of misconceptions about what tenkara is and isn't. I'm planning on finding out for myself if it's just "glorified cane pole fishing" or something more.

I've even set up a new blog to chronicle the events, if anyone is interested in an old fly fisher trying to learn new tricks...

www.artoftenkara.blogspot.com

It seems as though tenkara has never really caught on here, and I'm thinking that's too bad - but I won't know if it's "too bad" or not until I've actually fished the thing. ;) lol

Off the top of my head though:

* No one "made up" tenkara to sell rods. The history is well documented. Not only in Japan but in Italy too, strangely enough.
*The line is either a tapered braid, or a level braid(from what I can tell. I have lines coming and I'll see what is what in a couple of days)
*You actually "cast" the line and the fly like a traditional western fly rodder would. You can "dapple" it, but that's not what it's meant to do.
*The tenkara rods are much lighter than cane poles and much more flexible than cane poles as well. Whereas the cane pole fly rodder dropped flies into the holes, and the cane pole bream fisher flopped a long, rounded cast overhead, the tenkara rod is used to cast the line and achieve a drag free drift in braided currents.( that at least sounds handy for our area, doesn't it?)

Again, once I get my hands on the thing I'll let you know if it was worth the price of admission or not. It's far cheaper to get set up for fly fishing with tenkara than with a Sage or Winston, although there's nothing wrong with nice conventional rods, mind you. My main concern isn't the fact that I won't be pulling any double-hauls with this thing - it's that while fishing our mid to small sized creeks I'll bust the tip off in the trees. We'll see how that goes. I'm notoriously unkind to rods, unfortunately. ;)

old east tn boy
12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
My uncle James used to absolutely wear the crappie out on Cherokee Lake back in the coves up in the willows in the spring using a cane pole and later a telescoping fiberglass job. Flies were lead head jigs we tied up. Those were the days.

Crockett
12-18-2010, 08:23 PM
A friend from this forum gave me a tenkara knock off type rod that he got real cheap somewhere. It was a telescoping job that would telescope out to like 11 feet or something. I thought it would be great for backpacking cause it is lighter and I dont have to carry a reel or as much stuff like a rod protector as it just slid into my water bottle pocket and was very sturdy. I took it to cs 18 this year and it didn't work too well. Just because it was a cheaper one though. It came apart on me. I did manage to catch one 5" rainbow on it though before it finally came apart. It was fun to try and I would like to try again sometime I think but I missed my TFO rod and reel even though truth be told I don't cast much in the mountains and rarely use the reel. I just feel more like a trout fisherman with it for some reason LOL. The tenkara is much more convenient for backpacking though I will admit.

BlueRaiderFan
12-19-2010, 04:06 PM
My TFO four piece rods break down pretty small...

Knothead
12-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I suggest you do a google or Bing search for tenkara rods. I thought I had saved a rodmaker but I must have deleted it. There was a thing on the 'Net where the top tenkara expert from Japan was in NY state, putting on a seminar using a translator. One of the pictures was of Joan Wulff using the tenkara rod. I have used the a similar system on many small streams where I only used the fly rod, a foot or so of line, the leader and tippet to drift nymphs or dry flies through pools and runs. It is very effective.

Crockett
12-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Have you guys ever been backpacking and saw a nice hole and wanted to fish it but didn't want to mess with putting your rod together rigging the line through then tying on a fly for just one hole. I have experienced that many times. In the past I have solved it by just carrying my fully assembled and rigged rod with me but that can be a pain especially if walking miles in rough terrain aka the smokies.

One huge advantage I did see of Tenkara over my TFO was I could collapse the Tenkara quickly and tuck it into my backpack side water pocket. I spooled the line up with fly still attached. Then while backpacking along a stream if I saw a hole that I just couldn't pass up I had my rod out, expanded and line unspooled in less than a minute I would be fishing it. Not much pain to it, no tying on flies or threading through guides. When done I just wrapped the line around the spool (aka peice of foam) and collapsed the rod and kept on hiking. That was the one real advantage I miss with my TFO. That being said I am still sticking with the TFO but may try the Tenkara stuff again in the future.

duckypaddler
12-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Like many of you here I thought this would be the perfect thing for backcountry & going to places such as 3 forks where rhodo hells can often be found since it could break down really small. And to take with you on hikes where you might end up fishing a hole or 2 that Crockett describes above.

Then I tried fishing with a cane pole last summer. After only a few hours of fishing I was wore out. My arm hurt from my wrist to my elbow. I only caught a couple, but lost many more. It taught me how much of my successful hook set in the smokies was a combination of lifting rod & tugging on my line. Without being able to tug on my line, I found the fishing real tuff. Although like anything else I'm sure alot of it comes down what you are used to and I'm sure my skill set would go up with some more practice. Furthermore, since leader was a fixed legnth it was harder to fish some tight spots that would have been np problem with a rod & reel set-up. I think this would be less of a problem out West

I'll also stick with my TFO 4 piece:smile: for now.

narcodog
12-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Took the Tenkara to the Tuck today, all I can say it was a good day.:smile:

BlueRaiderFan
12-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I think we get used to not bending our wrists on a fly rod and when we have to hook set without the line pull we forget to cock our wrist back and simply raise the rod. Just a theory. :p

Crockett
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Like many of you here I thought this would be the perfect thing for backcountry & going to places such as 3 forks where rhodo hells can often be found since it could break down really small. And to take with you on hikes where you might end up fishing a hole or 2 that Crockett describes above.

Then I tried fishing with a cane pole last summer. After only a few hours of fishing I was wore out. My arm hurt from my wrist to my elbow. I only caught a couple, but lost many more. It taught me how much of my successful hook set in the smokies was a combination of lifting rod & tugging on my line. Without being able to tug on my line, I found the fishing real tuff. Although like anything else I'm sure alot of it comes down what you are used to and I'm sure my skill set would go up with some more practice. Furthermore, since leader was a fixed legnth it was harder to fish some tight spots that would have been np problem with a rod & reel set-up. I think this would be less of a problem out West

I'll also stick with my TFO 4 piece:smile: for now.

Ducky I have enjoyed your maps on your site and reading your posts on the other forum about the Green Camp Gap manway and Starkey Creek. I am friends with Kevin Umberger and Jenny B. from that site. Went to the nekkid lady on shop creek with Kevin earlier this year. It's a small world the Smokies...