PDA

View Full Version : Polarized Glass Lenses?

MtnMike
10-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I realize how important polarized glasses are to fly fishing. It is time for a new pair and I am looking primarily at Smith and Costa. Up to this point I have worn mostly plastic lenses, but I am giving thought to glass lenses this time around. I am aware of most of the pros and cons, but there is one question I am not sure of. One of my biggest complaints with my glasses seems to be that they fog up pretty easily. Someone told me the other day that glass lenses fog-up more quickly than plastic lenses. Has anyone else found this to be true? I've got a couple of models picked out, I'm just trying to decide which lense to go with. Thanks for any response.
Mike

Grumpy
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Cat Crap, anti fogging paste;)
Glass lens rock!
Grumpy

Bran
10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
All I have are plastic, my safety glasses at work are too, and all of them fog up pretty easily so I wouldn't think there was a lot of advantage to plastic in that regard.
I have the shallow blue Oakley monster dogs and then 2 pair of the dark gray oakley lens, one in monster dog frame and one in twenty frames. I have enjoyed all of mine alot and all are polarized but, that said, I haven't owned Smith or CDM's so I can't say my preference to the Oakleys. They are just really comfortable to me and don't give any distortion therefore no headache or eye strain. They are also extremely tough in regard to dropping, scratching, etc. and seem worth the price to me.

MadisonBoats
10-08-2009, 09:46 AM
MtnMike,
You MUST get polarized lenses. My best friend is an optometrist and I used to wear Smiths, Oakleys, etc... I would always get sunburn in my eyes from long days on the water. He diagnosed this in some of the cases and it was due to inferior lenses.

I would suggest a good quality lens from Maui Jim or Costa.

All lenses fog. The easiest thing to do is to spit clean them. Works every time... Just ask ask a diver...:biggrin:

Hal M
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
How about color of lenses? I've heard yellow or amber lenses or gray. Which do you think is the best color?

Hal M

Grumpy
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
How about color of lenses? I've heard yellow or amber lenses or gray. Which do you think is the best color?

Hal M

I like copper, great at low light, shady & sunny areas on a stream
Grey, seem to work better in open areas like lakes or big water(for me anyways)
I'd like to try a pair of yellow on the lil cricks in the mountains just for kicks.

Grumpy

ChemEAngler
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys with glass lenses that I had custom made. They do fog up, but no more so than the old plastic lenses I used did. When this pair has run its course, I am definitely looking at Smith for a replacement. I wish I could find pair with interchangeable prescription lenses, or just have lasik surgery.... :smile:

Rebelsoul
10-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I might try to find some new glasses,I have a pair of WileyX now but they fog often.
there is a product called McNett antifog cleaning solution that comes in a small bottle enclosed in a bag that doubles as a lens cloth,it works okay.

Rebelsoul
10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Do you have a tag on the front of your vehicle that says "Mountain Mike" or something like that?
Back in Sept. I met a truck with that on the road in the Tremont area...guy had a grey beard I think,it just caught my attention.

MadisonBoats
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Guys, seriously, try just spitting inside of the lenses and wiping them clean. It works very well for fogging...

MtnMike
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't made up my mind, but am leaning toward glass if I can afford it. Rebel Soul, wasn't me at Tremont, I don't think I've been to the park since a spring trip to Abrams, may fix that next week if I can pull myself away from the tailwaters.
Mike

Worrgamesguy
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. I'll be 19 at the end of the month, and was having a lot of trouble with my Oakleys. I didn't want to spend much, but I know the saying "you get what you pay for." My Oaks fogged up really easily, and the polarization was terrible compared to my dad's Serengetti's.

So I started looking at Costas, and knew I'd be spending more than $150, which is tough for a college student. I knew the 400s would run me about $150-$175, and 580s would run me $200+. And lens color KILLED me. This is basically what I figured out:

-Blue: Open water, on bright days
-Green: Wade fishing, works on bright and grim days
-Copper/amber/yellowr: high vis fishing
-Grey: very sunny days

So I ended up buying Costa Del Mar Blackfins black frame with the green mirror 580 lens, which would have ran me $230 in stores. Got on eBay, found them for $175 shipped. It's hard to find the style you want, in the frame color you want, with your lens choice, and the correct lens color.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Worrgamesguy/DSCI0062.jpg

There they are :biggrin:

MTN_TRT
11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I was going to start a new thread, but I found this one..

So, what tends to be the preference for the brand of sunglasses? I have been looking at Smith Optics and Oakleys. I wanted a style that I could change lenses so I can go from the amber/copper fishing lens to a grey color for everyday use.

I wont be just fishing in them, so I wanted something durable. That seemed to be a cool thing about the Oakleys- the lady at the store explained this as she wrapped a pair around her finger and they sprung back into correct form.

Also, considering I am a college student out on his own, cost should be taken into account. I work at the mall and I can get a discount on Oakleys or Maui Jims.. and a couple of other brands that I cant recall.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Best.

Carolina Boy
11-04-2009, 11:14 PM
I got tons of strike king glasses darkgrey nice i dig em, copperrybrownish nice for lower light, and I totally love my rose called "vermilion' shades for fishing the flats in the bahamas or other tropic like areas. I guess i spend to much money on travel...and boats...and rods..and flies..and beer..and Yea cheap glasses are the way to go for me so when i lose a monster Red or trophy Brown and I give my glasses the ole Nolan Ryan i ain't out much chedda! :eek: