PDA

View Full Version : any updated advise?

flyguys
10-11-2009, 09:48 AM
It's almost here!! We will be out next week 14-18. Does anyone have any last minute pointers?? This seems to be a transition time of year, so I want to make sure I'm doing things right! Any new advise would be appreciated. Can't wait to get out there, catching any fish would be icing on the cake!!

tire guy
10-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I would watch the fishing rep[ort daily for any changes that are reported. My experience shows the report has been accurate and productive.

flyguys
10-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks tire guy

BlueRaiderFan
10-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm FAR from certain about this, BUT from what I understand, this time of year, the wind picks up and blows a lot of terrestrials out of the trees and bushes and onto the water. You may want to stop by LRO and pick up some beetles, hoppers, ants etc. I would ask to sure that this is correct though. And, as stated earlier, check the fishing report daily to see what they are generally biting.

silvercreek
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Ditto the fishing report. Also note on the left side of the report toward the bottom is a link to suggested flies that is regularly updated.

flyguys
10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks a bunch guys!

nvr2L8
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
flyguys,
I took my kids fishing on Walker Camp Prong, starting at the Chimneys Trailhead on Friday. I was catching bows fairly regularly on an Orange Palmer and switched to a Stimulator which also got some action. My son picked up some flies at LRO before going up. He started with a Stimulator, switched to the Orange Palmer at my suggestion and had very little luck with either.

Then he tied on what I think was a #12 Smokey Mountain Trude, a big old ugly looking thing that no self-respecting fish would take. Right? Wrong! The brookies were eating it up! In the same stretch of river I caught 8 bows and he caught 8, almost all brookies and almost all on that big old ugly. Just shows to go, you never know. :smile:

Bottom line: go fishing, throw out something buggy looking and you should be catching fish. BTW, the action picked up considerably in the afternoon after a slow start in the late morning so don't get discouraged if you experience the same. Also, you should see some really nice fall colors popping out, especially in the upper elevations. Below is a shot down WCP (colors seemed to be brightest along the river).
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/nvr2l8_chuck/WalkerCampProng012.jpg
Here's my lovely daughter adding some color of her own.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/nvr2l8_chuck/WalkerCampProng013.jpg

MadisonBoats
10-11-2009, 04:00 PM
This should treat you right...:biggrin:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=172

buckeyetrouter
10-12-2009, 06:59 AM
hey Shawn......we are heading down for long weekend Oct 21-22-23"ish and need to get some fall ties done. Burned our vacation time in Africa so will want to make the most of this shortened trip....what size are you tying these? 12? 14?

bob

MadisonBoats
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
buckeyetrouter

I believe I used a size 14 for those...

BlueRaiderFan
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
What's that tail material?

PeteCz
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
What's that tail material?

The tail is a few spears of Golden Pheasant Tippets. They are used in Trudes and sometimes in Orange Palmers, Royal Wulffs, etc.

I usually use about 6-10 tippets per fly and tie it in at the bend right near the lower black mark of the tippets. You can usually tie 4-8 flies (or more) per feather. Here is a few views of the feather.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/41sfQdadSUL_SS500_.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Pete,

Thanks, that is a beautiful material...One more thing for my Christmas list.

Dwayne

MadisonBoats
10-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks PeteCz!

Fellas, this fly is deadly this time of year and will be hot through November...

flyman
10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I would make sure I had some large weighted nymphs, and some small bead head nymphs to use as droppers. The water levels this year have been above normal and this looks like it could be another week with a couple of days of precipitation. If the water is high and fast you will probably do better with nymphs.

MadisonBoats
10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
I would make sure I had some large weighted nymphs. The water levels this year have been above normal and this looks like it could be another week with a couple of days of precipitation. If the water is high and fast you will probably do better with nymphs.

Unfortunately, it seems this will be the case again... Rain is a two prong sword I guess....:eek:

Rog 1
10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
If you didn't have high and low years there would be no need for an average...just seems that the last 3-4 times I have been to the park I have been on one extreme or the other in helping achieve that average....can be frustrating.