PDA

View Full Version : caney report from 10-12-09

white95v6
10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
well i floated the caney from the **** to happy today. we got on the water at aboutt 8 am and got to happy at 11ish. i caught about 15-18 fish and my buddy caught about 12 or soo. over all we had a good time and didn't get rained on.:biggrin:

he caught a large female brown that was about 21-22 inches realy nice fish. and a few Bass.

i got a few nice male browns that went 16-17 inches and had the beinging of a hook jaw awsome looking and colorful fish. had one walleye on. and a few nice rainbows that went 16-17 inches also. and one LARGE striper broke my line. i would put it in the 10 or more lb range.

monktrout
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I also got on the Caney this weekend. Got lucky on a couple of browns. Lots of browns jumping out of the water. What is this behavior? Pre spawn ritual, chasing baitfish, following midges or caddis out of the water. No visible midge activity on top while I was fishing. Any thoughts on this. Fish were not that selective.
Sure Knots, Monk

JoelO
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I was told its the female browns shaking their eggs down. How was the water clarity?

monktrout
10-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Water clarity was fair. Didn't appear to affect the fishing.

silvercreek
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
What were you guys showing them? Streamers? Nymphs? Any surface activity other than the fish jumping?

white95v6
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
yea the water clairty was fair. not too much Trash in the water.

i was throwing a Rapala jerk bait. and a Berkly Swim bait for the stripers.

i have not moved into the flyfishing world yet.

gutshot
10-14-2009, 01:41 AM
What made you join a flyfishing forum?

MadisonBoats
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Probably to learn more about it...:rolleyes:

monktrout
10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Silvercreek, I was using a soft hackle version of a brassie/copper john. They also took a black leech pattern that I fish way too much. I rarely use indicators anymore. It's not because they don't catch more fish, I just like fishing with less, realizing I get less. My usual rig for the Caney this time of year is a black weighted bugger with a small midge pattern off the bend. I see what they like and snip off the dropper. Either the trout or myself will get stuck if I keep using the tandem rig. Having said all of this, I think a variety of patterns would have worked last week.

White 95v6, Why don't you pick up the fly rod and join us. There are so many parts of flyfishing to enjoy. Lots of folks on this forum will help you get started. Realize that it can be a sweet addiction.
Monktrout

white95v6
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
well i joined for the vast knowledge of trout and the trout streams in TN. not sure if i am ready to join the Fly fishing world yet. i spend way too much money on toys as it is. lol.

silvercreek
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
JoelO,I've never heard the egg theory for trout jumping. Interesting. Usually jumping trout indicates they are chasing caddis as they emerge. Thanks for the info Monktrout. White96v6, you really need to give it a try. Like most of these folks i'm guessing, I started out spin fishing. Once I got my hands on a fly rod I was ruined forever.

ChemEAngler
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
JoelO,I've never heard the egg theory for trout jumping. Interesting. Usually jumping trout indicates they are chasing caddis as they emerge. Thanks for the info Monktrout. White96v6, you really need to give it a try. Like most of these folks i'm guessing, I started out spin fishing. Once I got my hands on a fly rod I was ruined forever.

Same here. I was heavily into the bass tournament scene, now I have 8 Castaway rods with Shimano reels collecting dust in my closet. Not to mention the hundreds of dollars worth of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and soft plastics that just take up space in my garage.

Flyfishing is addictive, and it is only as expensive as you let it become.

gutshot
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Probably to learn more about it...:rolleyes:

I'll run all questions past you first from now on. ;)

Worrgamesguy
10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
well i joined for the vast knowledge of trout and the trout streams in TN. not sure if i am ready to join the Fly fishing world yet. i spend way too much money on toys as it is. lol.

I'll be 19 at the end of this month, and I did it on my own. I've heard that when you get a fish on, it's a thrill unlike any other. And it definitely is. I've been fly fishing without looking back for just over a year now, and it's been one of the best years of my life. I've caught larger fish consistently, and BOY does it feel good on the long rod! I had a 12ish inch rainbow that felt huge, but it was just the rod.

Grumpy
10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Same here. I was heavily into the bass tournament scene, now I have 8 Castaway rods with Shimano reels collecting dust in my closet. Not to mention the hundreds of dollars worth of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and soft plastics that just take up space in my garage.

Flyfishing is addictive, and it is only as expensive as you let it become.

Same here, you oughta see the look on a kids face when you hand him one of those outfits & tell him it's his:eek: I found a group of local high schooler's that had formed a fishing club & selectively gave my stuff to the ones that needed it the most, felt better than trying to sell it for a nickel on the dollar:biggrin:

Grumpy