PDA

View Full Version : Transferring

WVBrookie
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't post much but I visit several times a week.

I am in the process of transferring from my life-long home of West Virginia to the Cincinnati area. With the fact that I fish almost exclusively for native brookies, the closest brook trout streams will be in GSMNP.

I will still make a few trips back to WV, throughout the year, to visit family and friends, but I will most likely make more trips to GSMNP.

First question: how would the fishing be first weekend in November? I did well in WV last weekend with large stimmys and a large nymph trailer.

Chris

tire guy
10-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I really enjoyed your Bolg. Having grown up in West Virginia I have visited the area you described multiple times. If you ever return to that area get directions to the sinks, the Gandhi River goes in one side of the hill and comes out the other and I have made the hike thru there, great memories of much younger days. Also a fan of the Jimmy V speech.
Thanks

lauxier
10-22-2009, 10:19 AM
wvbrookie-when i was a kid,every summer,for a week or two,we would load up and head for wv,that's where my dad's brother lived.Uncle Russell was a mining engineer,because of his education and the prestige of his job,he lived well and prosperous.These were great,happy days for the kids as well as the adults.My parents and my aunt and uncle were blessed with good,loving marriages.uncle rus and dad were close.aunt ann,uncle rus,my mom and dad are all gone,but those summer days are still somewhere inside of me,and if the family thing was special,then just as special was the mountains and streams of wv.My uncle was a avid fly fisherman.He showed me the basics of casting.He fished a stream called clark's creek(i think),he caught rainbows mostly,we ate lots of trout.

Jim Casada
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't post much but I visit several times a week.

I am in the process of transferring from my life-long home of West Virginia to the Cincinnati area. With the fact that I fish almost exclusively for native brookies, the closest brook trout streams will be in GSMNP.

I will still make a few trips back to WV, throughout the year, to visit family and friends, but I will most likely make more trips to GSMNP.

First question: how would the fishing be first weekend in November? I did well in WV last weekend with large stimmys and a large nymph trailer.

Chris
WVBrookie--The fishing will largely depend on the water temperature. If it is nice (water temps upwards of 50 degrees in the heart of the day), you should do quite well. On the other hand, cold weather means slow days.
A good example comes from a trip I made to Cataloochee Valley to fish Palmer and Pretty Hollow Creeks a few days ago. Caught nice specks (I'll never call them brookies, and I thought folks up WV way called them "natives," at least when I've fished there) in the p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, but it was very slow until the sun warmed the water. Most strikes came on dry flies, although I fished a tandem rig and took some on the dropper.
If you aren't aware of it, you will find specks only in selected Park waters (mostly above about 3200-3500 feet in elevation). I pay quite a bit of attention to mountain trout (my favorite term for specks) in my recently published book, and it includes a map showing speck-holding waters. The map is useful, but not fully correct. It comes from the NPS and does not, for sure, show a couple of places where specks have actually expanded their range in recent years.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)