PDA

View Full Version : Campsite 18- West Prong Little River

Crockett
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
So I will be at cs # 18 this weekend fishing some (hopefully). I have fished the west prong from laurel creek road up to the campsite but never fished "above" the campsite. That is what I am interested in doing this trip fishing upstream from 18. Anyone here ever done that and can you tell me what to expect up there? Are there manways like the one down at the road section and if so how far up has anyone here gone?

Thanks!

mora521
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I always start fishing right above cs#18 and have been above Devils Nest.The creek stays pretty flat and wide unlike say Thunderhead Prong which has a much steeper gradient.Not really a manway but you can follow bear trails upstream,I always find fresh bear sign up there,but I have not seen as many bears there as I have on Thunderhead.

There is an old manway that drops off the Bote Mtn trail and crosses the creek at Edens Garden creek and follows it up the mtn to Chimney Rock,there it follows the ridgline to Hornet Tree Top and then goes downhill along Long Branch till it ends on the trail that that leads to Thunderhead prong or tremont trailhead depending on whether you gee or haw at the intersection.There is another one that is up in the headwaters and connected New World with the Bote mtn trail but I have never been on it.

I don't know if you will see this before you go but I reckon you will do alright.Good luck.

The Principal
10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
What is the devils nest? This is the first I have heard of it.

mora521
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Devils Nest Creek is a creek about 2 clicks upstream of where Edens Garden creek enters the West prong.

tlshealy
10-23-2009, 08:27 PM
How do you get to 18? Do you follow the river from the road, or do you take the west prong trail from Tremont. I fished the west prong from the road a couple of times this spring when the water was high and kind of struggled to get very far up stream.
Thanks
Tad

sammcdonald
10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
either west prong from tremont, or acroos from schoolhouse gap trail, ...pick up bote mtn trail about 1/2 mile to west prong...left on west prong about a mile and voiola...#18

Crockett
10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks mora521 that is some great info! Have you done all those manways? I made it to 18 on Friday and the rain wasn't so bad it was light and intermittent. We got to the campsite about 3pm and got the site fartherest upstream the that is kind of hidden in the rhodo with a single bear hang. I went upstream and fished for a little more than an hour and caught 4 rainbows. The biggest one I hooked through the top of its head somehow. I seem to hook some occasionally through some odd part of their body and canít quite figure out how that is happening. I got one through the belly last trip. Maybe one of you guys knows how that happens. I only went about a quarter mile up from the campsite but it was really beautiful up there. Some big pools and lots of room to walk next to the stream if you donít want to get wet. My friend Matt went too and he also caught 3 or 4 the next morning whereas I had to leave early. I got some good pics of the area upstream and my catches I will see if I can get them up here tonight or tomorrow night.

Rebelsoul
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Your post reminded me of the small rainbow that I hooked in the tail last trip on Middle Prong of the Little River....curious to see if somebody else has an answer.
I don't remember hooking other fish like that.

Jim Casada
10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Rebelsoul--Several times over the years I have hooked multiple rainbows in the tail. My theory, and it is only a theory, is that they are actually flipping at the fly rather than taking it. The occasions when this has happened have always coincided with me missing far more "takes" than would normally be the case. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Jim Casada
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Mora521--The proximity of those two streams, with nomenclature suggestions of heaven and ****, speaks wonderful things about the originality of mountain folks and their descriptive powers. Other examples of this genre, over on the N. C. side, include Huggins ****, Defeat and Desolation in the Bone Valley drainage, and Nicks Nest high up on the Left Fork of Deep Creek (where Tsali supposedly hid). Jim Casada

Rebelsoul
10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Jim,
It makes me feel better now that I know you have done it too.
I kinda thought about the flipping thing also,that maybe the trout came up and bumped the fly and I set the hook as his tail was brushing past it.
It would be interesting to watch trout take flies from an underwater view,I remember you saying that specks aren't real good at taking flies.
Rick

nvr2L8
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Listen to Jim. Specs really aren't good at taking flies. I would stay out of spec waters altogether if I were you. Don't waste your time going after them. They'll just break your heart. :rolleyes:

Jim Casada
10-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Rick and nvr2l8--There's some truth here. Specks won't break your heart; they'll steal it and first thing you know you've lost a corner of your soul to these speckled jewels which betoken everything wild and wonderful about the high country. It happened to me the better part of six decades ago and the ensuing years have been an eternal quest for a Holy Grail adorned with bright red dots encircled by blue halos, vermiculated olive backs, white-edged fins, and, at this season of the year, brilliant hues of the sort normally reserved for sunsets.
I caught a bunch of 'em last week in Pretty Hollow Creek, and if there's anything more lovely than a hook-jawed 10-incher in full spawning regalia I've yet to witness it.
Jim Casada

Rebelsoul
10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Listen to Jim. Specs really aren't good at taking flies. I would stay out of spec waters altogether if I were you. Don't waste your time going after them. They'll just break your heart. :rolleyes:
Ha! you don't have to worry about me catching them all,I just caught my first one this fall,and funny thing it was just a small one around 5 " but it was something that I had wanted to catch since I first heard of them years ago....I just waited until this year to fish the Smokies.
But like Jim said,it was a jewel and I'll never forget my first speck in the fall of my years.