PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice.......

mstone
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Drove over to the Nantahala on Sunday to fish the DH section. This was the only time I've been over here this year. Spent all day up and down the stream, not just fishing....but looking as well. I never saw a fish, stocker or wild, other than four small wild fish that I caught on nymphs. I usually am able to spot fish here. Have the poachers had their way already? Has some high water flushed the fish down to Wesser? The water has been high. Noticed in more than one spot that people had discarded what looked like 10 to 15 lb. test on the banks for others to wrap up in. Someone tell me that it's just me and that its not been 'cleaned out' already.

mstone

D-Drake
10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Mstone,
I went over there last Wednesday and found the fishing disappointing. Like you said, when it is good you can go there and not see the bottom because there is so many fish. I think it might just be too early. We may just need to let them stock a second time.
I caught 2 fish out of the DH section before bailing out. The air was cold that morning so I just figured they weren't very active, but also didn't see many fish.

I ended up on the Oconoluftee River in the Park and had a fun time.

Daniel

mstone
10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
D-Drake

I'm thinking that they don't usually stock as many in the fall as they do in the spring, but still, you should see some. I haven't made it over to the 'luftee' yet. I have heard some tales though. Maybe in a few weeks.
mstone

PeteCz
10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
That's disappointing. I had hoped to head over there and give it a shot before my NC license expired...

Here is the stocking report. They should have released about 3300 fish in that section in October. And another 3300 due in November...Perhaps they wait until the end of the month...
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/stocking/stock_macon.pdf

Jim Casada
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
mstone--It is at least possible that the NCWRC hasn't done a great deal of stocking yet. I imagine that information is available somewhere on their web site. I know they lost a lot of fish to otters at the Armstrong Creek hatchery, and it could be that has had a long-term impact.
I doubt seriously if high water washed trout downstream. If the little wild fish could hold their big soap head brethern ought to be able to do the same.
One thought--have you considered fishing the main river below the outflow? It is, to my way of thinking, about as good a piece of water as N. C. has to offer (outside the Park). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

PeteCz
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
...I know they lost a lot of fish to otters at the Armstrong Creek hatchery, and it could be that has had a long-term impact...

Jim, I'm worried that maybe you don't like otters...how can you not like otters?...

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/looking_otter.jpg

Just messin' with you...
:biggrin::biggrin:

mstone
11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Jim,
That may be the case over there right now. Just a little disappointed that I saw no decent fish as I went up and down the river. As far as the main river goes, that piece of water has always intrigued me. I have fished it numerous times, in several places, and have never caught many fish of any size. I know there are suppose to be some good fish there. Maybe there are some different tactics I'm not trying that work better there. I have never seen any articles or books on that piece of water. It sure gives you a lot more water to fish in that area though. Any suggestions would be welcome !

mstone