PDA

View Full Version : How many rods do you have and where do

BlueRaiderFan
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
you keep them?

Me: Two rods. A cheapo 8'6" 6wt White River outfit as a back up that I keep in my "SUV" (A truck sealed off on the back end:cool:) and a 8' 4wt TFO with Orvis BBSIII reel that I use most of the time. I do want to get a new 6wt set up for the Caney and put the White River outfit in my wife's car (in case I take her car and forget my rig). I guess I need to get a BBSII for the 4wt and put the BBSIII on my new 6wt, but it casts just fine for me so far.

flyred06
10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I have an even dozen:

2 -4wts - 1diamond glass - 1 orvis superfine
3 -5wts - 1 winston im6 - 1 temple fork - 1 eagle claw
2 -6wts - 1winston im6 - 1 walter babb cane rod
3 -8wts - 1 sage - 1 st.croiux - 1 shakespere
1 -9wt - orvis silver lable
1 -11wt - orvis TLS

I keep them stacked in a corner beside my fly tying table, in a gun cabinet and in my safe. I am now wanting to add a Sage 5wt z axis for x-mas.

Jim Casada
10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
you keep them?

Me: Two rods. A cheapo 8'6" 6wt White River outfit as a back up that I keep in my "SUV" (A truck sealed off on the back end:cool:) and a 8' 4wt TFO with Orvis BBSIII reel that I use most of the time. I do want to get a new 6wt set up for the Caney and put the White River outfit in my wife's car (in case I take her car and forget my rig). I guess I need to get a BBSII for the 4wt and put the BBSIII on my new 6wt, but it casts just fine for me so far.
BlueRaiderFan--I'm afraid I'm not what could be described as a minimalist when it comes to rods. To tell the truth, I've never counted. I do know I have three bamboo rods--A South Bend Tonkin cane one which was my first rod and which has to be 75+ years old since it was a hand-me-down from my father, a one-piece 61/2 foot Hardy rod, and a classic three-piece F. E. Thomas. Similarly, I know that I have three fiberglass rods. When you get to the modern stuff though, I'm guessing somewhere between 75 and a 100. Most of them came my way from manufacturers over the years, especially when I wrote the Trout & Salmon column for North American Fisherman magazine for a time. Also, several were given to me by "clients" back when I was part of a fishing operation working out of white Sulphur Springs, MT. I can only remember buying two, and in each case it was because I wanted a special purpose rod.

In my case, a more relevant question might be how many do I use. I fish the Sound Bend bambook rod once or twice a year purely for nostalgic reasons, I have a nine-piece L. L. Bean pack rod I use a fair amount in the backcountry, and I have a four-weight Winston and a five-weight Sage which see considerable use.

The flat-out truth of it is that fly rods are sort of like guns--you can never have too many of them.

Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

P. S. If nothing else, the matter made me realize I probably ought to take an inventory.

jeffnles1
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I won't say how many rods I have for fear my wife may read this. Let's just say my rods are like my guitars. I have more equipment than I have talent. Like Jim said, one cannot have too many.

What do I fish most?

3wt Scott G2 8'4" I picked up from a guy on another forum for cheap (nearly unused, he was thinning the herd to buy a new 'boo rod)

4wt 9' Winston BIIt that I bought on a trip to Yellowstone with my son. This rod gets a lot of use.

5wt 9' Scott G2 I picked up cheap from a guy on Ebay

9' 7wt Redington my wife got for Christmas. Not sure, maybe LRO maybe Cabelas. not sure.

Of these that I use regularly, the Winston gets the most use followed by the 5wt Scott then the 3wt and last the 7wt.

Jeff

flyred06
10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Man I really like this post. I was feeling bad about how many I had and that I could not fish them all, but now I know I can still feed my addiction for more rods and not feel bad. I see a z axis in my future for sure.

EARTHWORX
10-31-2009, 05:37 AM
( The flat-out truth of it is that fly rods are sort of like guns--you can never have too many of them. ) That Quote from Mr. Casada about sums it up. Where I keep most of mine are in the tubes but I do keep a 4wt, 6wt, and a 8wt and a half dozen or so coventional rod and reels rigged and ready in my office, wich happens to be a structure in my front yard 50 feet or so from the lake we live on, so when the drafting table or the telephone or the computer becomes too hectic, you just pic up a rod and head for the dock. A dozen or so bream on a 4wt will usually get you re-focused. :biggrin:
St. Croix and Sage are the majority.

Grumpy
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Ask my wife or daughter:frown: i know 15 of them are class rods, never bothered counting the rest, i could use some more reels:biggrin:

Grumpy

BamaBill
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
White River Classic 4wt
St. Croix Imperial 5wt (my favorite)
Elkhorn Nomad 5wt
White River Hobbs Creek 6wt
Cabelas Traditional 6wt
Elkhorn Nomad 8wt

BlueRaiderFan
11-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Mr. Casada, wow...that is impressive. Let me know if you run out of space!:biggrin: I will probably buy about 3 more rods and reels and call it quits. At least, that's the plan...

flyred06
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
blueraiderfan goodluck on buying just three more and quitting. I can not tell you the times I have said "oh this is the perfect rod, I will never buy another".:eek: If we could keep that promise then rod companies would close (glad we can't keep it) lol.:smile: I can name at least three more rods I want right now. Keep up the collection and enjoy the excitment of purchasing new rods. Its what keeps us going?;):smile:

The Principal
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
2wt 6ft TFO
4wt 8ft TFO
4wt 9ft TFO
2-6wt 9ft TFO
1-6wt 10ft TFO
2-7wt 9ft TFO
2- 8wt 9ft TFO
1-9wt 9ft TFO
2-10wt 9ft TFO
1- 12wt 9ft TFO
Just ordered 7wt 2hand 11ft TFO

tire guy
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
BRF good post, to answer your question I have a couple of different rods to accomodate different types of conditions. I store all of mine in tubes and always take a spare when I go fishing.

jeffnles1
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I will probably buy about 3 more rods and reels and call it quits. At least, that's the plan...

Blue,
I've heard that one before. I bet your wife was in the room when you typed that response.:smile:

Last time I brought a new guitar in the house, my loving sweet, kind, gentle wife (she does sometimes read these posts) asked me which one I was going to sell. The look on her face when I told her I wasn't planning on selling any of my guitars was, let's say, priceless.

The good thing about fly rods and reels is they do not take up as much room as guitar cases and are a bit easier to get in the house undetected.

Also, she knows what a Martin, Strat, Les Paul or Taylor costs. Fly rods are just fishing poles, how expensive can they be? Let's all just keep that our little secret, OK?:biggrin:

Jeff

Rog 1
11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
How do I love thee...let me count the rods....2wt Orvis One Ounce, 3wt. Lamiglass 6 1/2 ft., 3wt. Orvis Helios 8'4", 3 wt. custom built 7' pack rod, 4wt. Orvis Silver Label 7'6", Orvis 6wt 8 ft., 9wt 9", LLbean 5wt. 7 ft....Orvis Fullflex fiberglass 5wt. 7 ft.

Worrgamesguy
11-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Just one. TFO Pro 9' 5 WT. I do cut out on food spending so I can put the money towards a better rod, but a college boy has to eat...

BlueRaiderFan
11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
blueraiderfan goodluck on buying just three more and quitting. I can not tell you the times I have said "oh this is the perfect rod, I will never buy another".:eek: If we could keep that promise then rod companies would close (glad we can't keep it) lol.:smile: I can name at least three more rods I want right now. Keep up the collection and enjoy the excitment of purchasing new rods. Its what keeps us going?;):smile:

I have a couple of nice 300 series BMW payments that my wife and I call "student loans." :frown: I won't be buying much!:mad:

BlueRaiderFan
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Blue,
I've heard that one before. I bet your wife was in the room when you typed that response.:smile:

Last time I brought a new guitar in the house, my loving sweet, kind, gentle wife (she does sometimes read these posts) asked me which one I was going to sell. The look on her face when I told her I wasn't planning on selling any of my guitars was, let's say, priceless.

The good thing about fly rods and reels is they do not take up as much room as guitar cases and are a bit easier to get in the house undetected.

Also, she knows what a Martin, Strat, Les Paul or Taylor costs. Fly rods are just fishing poles, how expensive can they be? Let's all just keep that our little secret, OK?:biggrin:

Jeff

You should come to Nashville and check out Gruhn Guitars...Nothing like a $30,000 strat to open your eyes.

donwinn
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

You are not going to use this information as blackmail are you? I guess it is ok since you don't have my wife's e-mail address (I hope)!

Winston BIIx 5 wt
Winston BIImx 5 wt
Winston IBIS 4 wt
TFO Finesse 3 wt
TFO Professional 8 wt
St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 wt
Orvis Silver Label 6 wt
Orvis Silver Label 4 wt
Orvis Silver Label 2 wt
Fenwick HMG 5 wt
White River 8 wt
Cabelas Travel Rod 4wt
Restored Bamboo

I keep them in my "fishing hole" room in rod tubes which are stored in the rod rack.

I think I need a couple more. Maybe I should sell some and trade up.:biggrin:

Jim Casada
11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Trey--If you had to choose a single rod for the Smokies, yours is an excellent choice.
Jim Casada

jeffnles1
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Just one. TFO Pro 9' 5 WT. I do cut out on food spending so I can put the money towards a better rod, but a college boy has to eat...
Trey,
Not a thing wrong with a 9' 5wt. The TFO pro is a great rod that will serve you well for years. I think a 9' 5wt is probably the most versital rod out there.

Jeff

jeffnles1
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
You should come to Nashville and check out Gruhn Guitars...Nothing like a $30,000 strat to open your eyes.

Blue,
I've been there and yes, it's a very (VERY) dangerous place.

I recently sold my Les Paul to fund some other purchases.
I have 2 Martins. One, my wife knows how much I paid. All she knows about the other one was it was a "little" more.
Ovation my dad bought when I graduated from High School in 1978
Seagull 12 string
no-name campfire beater
Epiphone Les Paul bass.

Gruhn's is a divorce lawyer's favorite place. Also, the guitar store in Seveirville - the one on the main road through town - is also a dangerous place. They had a really nice old Gibson J45 there a few years back that almost came home to Kentucky with me. Had Leslie not been with me that trip, I think it would have been added to the collection.

LRO is also a dangerous place for me.. The good news is Leslie sees the money saving potential in tying flies.:biggrin:

billyspey
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
more than i need but not as many as i want!!!!!!!!!!!! my wife ask one time about the amount of fishing equipment i had in dollar amount and i told her it was not her concern. it hadn't keep her from having a ring for ever finger and ear and all those gold necklaces around her neck and bracelets. she never ask again!!!!!!!!!

seagull
11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Another addict's confession:

Addiction #1

7’9” Loomis GL4 2 wt
7’6”Tenryu 3 wt
8’9” Sage LL 3 wt
9’ Loomis GL3 4 wt
8’ Japanese 4 wt bamboo
9’ Loomis GL3 5 wt
9’ Loomis IM6 6 wt
9’ Loomis GL3 6 wt
10’ Loomis IMX 6 wt
8’ 6” Heddon Governor 6 wt bamboo
9’ Sage RPL 7 wt
9’ Loomis Premier 8 wt
9’9” Loomis GL3 8 wt
9’ Orvis TLS 9 wt
10’ Sage RPL+ 10 wt
(Rebuilding a 9 ft steel rod, manufacturer unknown)

Addiction #2

Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Sigma DM-5
Yamaha FG-420-12
Epiphone El Segundo bass

rivergal
11-03-2009, 08:45 AM
No wonder I can not catch any fish. I only have two fly rods. I can see that I have been too much of a minimalist when it comes to gear. I have one pair of waders, one vest ,one net, one pair of clippers, one measuring tape, one bottle of fly float, and one pocket fly box. The fish do not take me
seriously when they see I do not have a bunch of stuff attached to my fly vest. I need to spend my way to success, and look like a a real fisherman.

silvercreek
11-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I've got a fair number of rods both bamboo and graphite, but I fish only about three regularly, so I wouldn't fret over the number of rods or equipment. There used to be an old saying about guns: beware the man (or woman) with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it. Probably applies to flyrods as well. Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
It ain't the rod, that's for sure. There are guys on this board that could take a piece of sapling and some 10lb mono and out fish me any time.

Jim Casada
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Rivergal--Other than helping folks like LRO and yours truly keep the wolf from the door, being a minimalist isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was into my 30s before I owned more than a single fly rod, and I only owned two guns (a single-shot 20 gauge and a much nice Belgian Browning semi-auto .22). I'm probably not much better as a fly fishermen now than I was then. Maybe a bit better caster, definitely more knowledgeable on some tactics and techniques, but on the downhill side when it comes to rough terrain, wading skills, and ability to hike mile after endless mile.
The real reason for more rods (or guns) is that the vast majority of us find considerable pleasure and pride in ownership. We like our stuff, enjoy talking about it bragging on it, looking for it (in the case of collectibles), and in general recognizing that, as Arnold Gingrich once wrote, "the fishing's only part of it." Another part is the powerful pull of paraphernalia. I'll give two examples of someone who is a wonderful (or tragic) testament to this delightful disease, yours truly.
I'm sitting in a huge room, equipped not only with floor to ceiling book shelves on three walls but also with walk between stacks just like a library, surrounded by perhaps 8,000 books on the outdoors, and scattered throughout the rest of the house and in two storage sheds are several thousand more. As if that isn't enough, I probably own at least 600 turkey calls, and I'm not talk about diaphragms. That doesn't even touch guns, a collection of thousands of old outdoor magazines, vintage photographs galore, all sorts of Smokies "stuff," and of course fly rods. Obviously I have a long-suffering and understanding wife!
With all that by way of confession though, from the standpoint of being functional as a fisherwoman, you have enough. Whatever you add henceforth will be the cherry atop a sundae, lace on a bride's pajamas, or extra jam in a stack cake.
Jim Casada

gverholek
11-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Now I know why i like to hang with fellow fly-fishers...we have the same addiction. I have tried to make a non-fisher understand the need for 15 fly rods and 12 reels, but they just look at me with a condescending smile, probably thinking I've gone round the bend. But not you guys, heck no. We're in this together.

Just when I think I'm done buying gear, I read a blog like this and realize I'm not as bad as most of you. I only have two walls of books, Jim. And no where near as many rods, Seagull. Since I have no musical talent, my wife doesn't have to worry about guitars. On the other hand, I have way too many cameras.

Oh, well...at least I only have one wife, and she's all I want and need.

rivergal
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Jim, a collection of 600 turkey calls is a good start. Roy Rogers once owned
37 coon dogs, at least your books don't bark. Life is short. Enjoy your
hobbies and life.

flyred06
11-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Rivergal, I love your outlook. MY wife has a similar outlook and that makes enjoying our hobbies easier. Enjoy life it is way to short.

tire guy
11-05-2009, 02:23 AM
This is for all you guys that have a wife that monitors your habit........it is still a lot less than a bass boat. Buy more stuff.

Jim Casada
11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Brian--Excellent thinking. Jim Casada

fishhead
11-05-2009, 09:17 AM
8 FT-4WT-4PC Cortland my first rod
7 FT-3/4WT-3PC Lamiglass Appalachian
6-6 FT-2WT-4PC forecast that I built
8-6 FT-5wt-3 pc built on a Rogue River blank I call the black widow-which I built as well. Nice soft action suited to the dry fly.
I have an area of the garage with work bench, fly tying station and a locker for rods.
Fishhead

JohnH0802
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I myself can never seem to have enough rods. I currently have the following:

8'6" Orvis TLS 5wt
9'0" Orvis Clearwater 5wt
8'6" Orvis Helios 5wt
7'9" Orvis Far and Fine 5wt
7'9" Orvis superfine 5wt
9' Sage LFI 8wt
9' Sage Z-axis 8wt

My 14 year old daughter additionally has:

8'6" Orvis Clearwater 5wt
9' Sage FLI 7wt

In addition to these I have given several rods away, for purely selfish reasons. I gave these rods to fishing partners.

I gave a 9' Orvis Clearwater rod to a buddy of mine who I reintroduced to fly fishing.
I gave a Bass Pro World Wide Sportsman 9' 8wt combo to my best friend and fishing partner this year when we started fishing for reds in the short grass.

I use the 5wt Helios about 75% of the time when I am trout fishing.
I use the 7'9" superfine 5 wt the other 25% of the time (you can flip dry flies with a dropper all day in the smokies and not even have to take motrin to keep the shoulder from hurting)
I used the Sage FLI 8wt combo all summer on Red to catch over 25 (I broke off another 10 easy).
I just got the Sage Z-axis, and haven't even tested it yet.

The sad thing is that I would like to get a sage 7 wt vt2 and a sage 5wt vt2. You would think that I would have more than enough.

Rebelsoul
11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
When I think back on how many Strats and Les Pauls I could have bought in the 60s/70s for $300....well it makes me sick,...mainly I feel sick because I didn't buy my BIL's '64 Strat when I could have.I do have a couple of Fender Deluxe Reverbs,a '66 and '67.

As for rods,I only have 2 right now,a TFO 7'9" 4wt.and an old Wright & McGill fiberglass I got as a kid.
I had thought I would save a lot of money,by not buying more guns,but that was before I started fly fishing,and that St. Croix Avid looks really good to me right now.
I can tell this fly fishing stuff is going to be another addiction.:frown: since there's no Mrs. Rebelsoul anymore.....it doesn't make any difference.:biggrin:

SWAMPUS
11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
7 rods,7 shotguns,7 pistols

Waterborn
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
A TFO 9' 4piece 4wt - my 99% goto for mtns and tailwaters...and a Scott A2 4wt...
So not much gear there, but I love my Bauer Superlight reel that I use for the both...
My other over the top stuff is my camera gear which could've landed me several lengths and weights of Helios rods or maybe a couple of nice vintage 'boos...
And then there's another bad habit that hasn't fully taken hold, but eventually will consume me is my '52 Willys Wagon which I could've already had restored if flyfishing and photography hadn't taken over!

Worrgamesguy
11-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Trey--If you had to choose a single rod for the Smokies, yours is an excellent choice.
Jim Casada

Trey,
Not a thing wrong with a 9' 5wt. The TFO pro is a great rod that will serve you well for years. I think a 9' 5wt is probably the most versital rod out there.

Jeff

Guys, I'm not complaining at all! I love my rod, it fits me well. I started with a Cortland $18 P.O.S. from Dick's and could immediately notice the difference when I got my TFO.

The only thing that bothers me is I would like a smaller rod for the Smokies, and maybe a heavier rod with sink tip line so I can rip streamers for big browns. I think 3 total rods would be perfect, but that won't happen anytime soon.

BlueRaiderFan
11-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Nah, cause soon enough you'll be married and will need that 8wt for fishing the flats and a 12wt for offshore and then you'll need..........:smile:

Grumpy
11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I only fish one rod at a time, Trey, 3 rods would cover all fishing conditions as you mentioned, gotta have a backup for each though & sometimes the backup needs a backup, not really:eek:
I got rid of about 20 rods a few years back, haven't really missed them & if a new one want's to find it's way into the house, i'll sell another one or two to get it there.
However, this new DSLR addiction to lens is starting to take it's toll on the wifes patience, just one more & i think i'm done:biggrin:

Grumpy

Jim Casada
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
SWAMPUS--No rifles? Surely you need seven of those in seven different calibers. May I suggest a .17, .22. 243, .270, .280, 30-06, .308, and .375. Of course you will also need seven scopes. Jim Casada

tire guy
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
7 Fly rods
6 rifles
5 shotguns
5 pistols
1 bag of marbles

silvercreek
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Glad you still have all your marbles. I lost mine years ago, but that's a long story.
Regards, Silvercreek

jeffnles1
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Rifles? Let's not even talk about rifles. Fortunately, my wife thinks they all look the same. I'm no even sure I know how many I have. Between the ones in my safe and the ones on loan to friends, OK, let's not even go there.

I would say in addition to the calibres mentioned earlier in this thread, one needs at least 3 or 4 flintlock muzzle loaders in calibres ranging from .36 to .58 and at least one Hawken in .54 or .58. :smile:

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
M16 A2 Maximum effective range to a point target: 550 meters. To an area target: 800 meters. The only rifle I need, if I had one. I do have a .40cal S and W pistol and a 20 gauge pump. I don't hunt large game except with my hands (ok, I buy beef at the grocery store). However, I have developed a fondness for dear hair.

Varmitcounty
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Waterborn forgot to mention the bamboo rod I have been restoring for him for over two years now...hey, I got 4 kids...gimmie a break!

As for myself:
Winston 8'6" 3wt. bamboo
Heddon 9' 6wt. boo
T&T 9' 5wt
Cortland 8' 4wt.
9' Heddon 6wt. fiberglass
8' 5wt Montegue bamboo
9' 5wt H.I. bamboo
and the rods I built for myself:
6'6" Garrison 193 bamboo
8" Payne 102 bamboo
7'6" Partridge of Reddich 6wt. that has been dubbed "the grass cannon" (ask anyone who has cst this one!)
5' 3wt. bamboo I built for the kids

The thing about being a rod maker is that you will invariably wind up with a bunch of rods.

~marc~

flyred06
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Varmitcounty,

I see you seem to like the boo like myself. I have one boo and never get to fish it. Man that really bites. I would love to see some pics of your rods. I love admiring cane rods.

Varmitcounty
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll try to get some posted.

flyred06
11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
This is an off question for this post, but varmitcounty what is the longest cane rod made? 9 ft or longer?

Varmitcounty
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
flyred06,
Pretty much any length you find in graphite you can make with bamboo. The issue really becomes weight. Imagine how heavy a dressed out 10' bamboo rod would be. There is a guy up in the Washington State area that makes bamboo spey rods. The longest rod I have built is a 9'6" and it was a load if you planned on using it all day.

~marc~

flyred06
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Well this posting cost me another rod. Now I am up to 13. I went out today and came across a project healing waters from TFO. I am not a TFO fan but I had to buy this one. This rod is absolutely beautiful and I love the fact of the $25 donation that TFO makes. My wife has a breast cancer rod from TFO and it has the same appeal to me for the same reasons. But enough rambling I just wanted everyone to know this post cost me another rod.