PDA

View Full Version : Elk River

wm1miller
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Fished the Elk for a couple of hours this evening. Waded.
Fishing was good; Anything chartreuse worked well for me.
I would tell you about the two big ones that I lost on a clouser minnow, but.......never mind. Maybe I will land them next time. (I have a hard time landing larger trout on large streamers, but I will not give up.) It is so-o-o-o-o much fun.
Generation is off for the weekend.
Williamj

silvercreek
11-07-2009, 09:19 AM
William, did you see any surface activity or bugs on the water? Keep getting hook ups and your bound to get those big boys. Good luck.

wm1miller
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Silvercreek,
Saw no surface activity.
Saw a few bugs in the air just before sunset.
Based on the conversation I could hear, a couple of guys upstream from me were getting some action on dry flies and / or midges, also, just before sundown.

I am determined to keep trying for the bigger fish.
With streamer fishing, I have better luck when I "strip set the hook", rather than lifting the rod. My problem is, my natural reflex is to lift the rod. It is even more difficult when I fish nymphs or wets and then switch to streamers.

Thanks for the encouragement.

William

silvercreek
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
William, I'm pretty much committed to the dry fly and emerger. I just love watching a trout take the fly. But I understand the problem with the hook set. I sometimes fly fish for bass, and the strip hookset does work better. As you said, it is hard to overcome the tendency to get a set by lifting the rod. I don't know, maybe a stiffer rod would help. Good fishing.